1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Return to Early Christian Female Leadership

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Ignazio_er, Jan 5, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Modern archaeological scholarship is also revealing that women in the early church played a more prominent role than many are aware. </font>[/QUOTE]I live in Kildare and am very familiar with the veneration of Brigid. There is WAY too mush mysticism and what borders on Brigid worship here. She also supposedly threw out her cloak which expanded to cover all of what is now County Kildare. With Brigid, like so much other early Irish history, fact and fiction often blur.

2. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

Are you saying that the catholic encyclopedia's claim that she selected a bishop is incorrect?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am simply saying that 5th century Irish history is a blur of fact and fiction. The Celtic Church rejected Rome's authority until it was forced on them by the English Pope Adrian and King Henry (the II, I think.

4. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

How about Egypt? (quotes taken from http://www.womenpriests.org/traditio/otran_2.htm)

Or Pope Gelasius (Baptists, keep in mind that this Roman Catholic pope

Or Asia Minor

Baptists, keep in mind that these Montanists with their femal bishops are you ancient Trail of Blood ancestors. This leads to an interesting question, at what point in Baptist history did Baptists follow the lead of the popes and ban the ordination of women?