1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revised Poll: The Song of Solomon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Jul 2, 2005.

?
  1. The Song of Solomon is merely about the joys of sex between married people. It is not an allegory of

60.0%
  2. It's about the spiritual significance of romantic love between married people. It is allegorical of

20.0%
  3. It's about the spiritual significance of romantic love between married people, but Jehovah and Israe

4.0%
  4. The Song of Solomon is about marriage, not just the romantic aspects. (Please explain.)

16.0%
  5. My view is STILL not represented here. (Please explain your view by posting a reply.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since many in the last poll said the choices did not reflect their views, I revised it. Please respond again.

2. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I voted "It's about the spiritual significance of romantic love between married people, but Jehovah and Israel and Christ and the church are not in view."

I would clarify by saying that Yahweh/Israel and Christ/Church are not specifically in view, or were not in view by the author. Because these relationships draw on marriage as an example, anything dealing with marriage as it should be will have certain parallels to them.

Any marriage reflects to some degree Christ's love for the church.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My view is still not represented. You are making a division between the marital joys of a relationship. I think it is about the joys (sexual, emotional, spiritual, mental) of the married union.

So the one, "It's about the spiritual significance" of romatic love without Jehovah, Israel, etc. in view is closest, except for that darn word, "spiritual." So I couldn't vote for it. Why does it have to be about sexual or spiritual joy -- why not both?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Aaron, thanks for trying but I think you need to put more choices.

5. Mercury

Mercury New Member

After reading more closely, I agree with Marcia too -- it's not just about the spiritual significance of romantic love.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant both. Obviously, on the surface, the Song of Solomon is about romantic love. The Shepherd King and a Shulamite girl fall in love and frolic amongst the flora and fauna.

I didn't intend to negate the surface meaning by specifying a spiritual significance.

So basically you're saying it's about romantic love between married people (its only hallowed place) and its spiritual significance. This was an option in the first poll, though instead of romantic love I said "sex" thinking that most folks would think, as I do, that there is more to sex than mere copulation, and that only married people should be having it.

Do you think folks would participate in one more poll about this?

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I meant both. Obviously, on the surface, the Song of Solomon is about romantic love. The Shepherd King and a Shulamite girl fall in love and frolic amongst the flora and fauna.

I didn't intend to negate the surface meaning by specifying a spiritual significance.

So basically you're saying it's about romantic love between married people (its only hallowed place) and its spiritual significance. This was an option in the first poll, though instead of romantic love I said "sex" thinking that most folks would think, as I do, that there is more to sex than mere copulation, and that only married people should be having it.

Do you think folks would participate in one more poll about this?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks for taking in our views, Aaron. [​IMG]

Maybe this shows a difference in the way men and women think about love. To just say "sexual" I think for women sort of denigrates love in our mind -- in other words, it makes it sound like it is just about sex, whereas women, imo, are thinking of love as physical intimacy plus closeness, feeling protected, deep bonds of feeling, etc. I don't think women assume you mean the other things when you just have the word 'sex' there.

I also would not use the word "romantic," which I think of as superficial or maybe just a fleeting thing. I think marital love goes beyond the romantic.

How about just that it represents the intimacy and joy of marital love? I would vote for that one!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll be glad to vote in another poll. [​IMG]

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I agree with Marcia, too.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is an allegory of the Love Between Jesus Christ and His Bride, the New Jerusalem, the total number of the redeemed, what some would call the universal Church.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I won't start another poll. A majority of the folks who responded recognize that the fullness of this great book is much deeper than can be gleaned by a casual, surface reading.

[​IMG]