1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revival Tent Meetings

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by tyndale1946, Feb 12, 2003.

1. atestring

atestring New Member

It has been years since I have been to a meeting in a tent. I have wonderful memories of tent meetings.

2. WonderingOne

WonderingOne New Member

I think some of us may be confusing tent meetings with camp meetings, which are two different things. Here in NC, the term "camp meeting" refers to the practice whereby a group of like-minded believers meets at a specific place and stays there together for about a week. There is bible study and fellowship during the day, and an old fashioned singing and preaching service every night. Each denomination that does this has its own specific place for the people to meet and stay, sometimes more than one in different parts of the state. It is mostly Baptists, Church of God, and Methodists who still do this here in NC.

What is usually referred to as a tent meeting or tent revival, is when a traveling evangelist from somewhere else comes to town and sets up a tent, then proceeds to conduct a revival. Usually they stay a week or sometimes two at the most. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods.

3. RTB

RTB New Member

I used to attend a Holiness Church and I would hear the Elders in the church talk about the Camp Meetings being held under big tents. Some of them had memories going back to the early 1900's and up until the early seventies they still used tents.