1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Richard Land and the "Eternal Now" election model

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by GBC Pastor, Dec 3, 2010.

1. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Richard Land is a good guy. I like him.

But there's nothing new there. It's the same argument Winman and webdog make here on the Baptist Board, only they do it as well or better.

Well, the DESIRE acronym is something new to me, but he uses it to make the usual non-Cal points. Give him credit for dressing the old argument in a new suit.

D--Disabling Depravity
    E--Eternal Now
    S--Sufficient Salvation
    I--Illumination by the Holy Spirit
    R--Regenerative Grace
    E--Eternal Security

Dr. Land says he's not an Arminian. Except for Eternal Security, sounds like one.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This reminds me of the quip (often attributed to Abraham Lincoln)...

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

I really don't understand why so many non-Calvinists are bound and determined not to consider themselves Arminians. Granted, they are probably not Wesleyan Arminians in any sense, but the only real difference between the average non-Calvinist and the average full Arminian is the issue of eternal security/perseverance/whatever you want to call it. Even the Remonstrants weren't completely sure on that point.

Contrasting Arminians with non-Calvinists like Land is trying to find a distinction without a difference.

The only thing that makes less sense to me on this point is Lutheran theology, but at least they openly admit that their position makes no logical sense.