1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren out on the edge again...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Feb 4, 2011.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I never had had anything against Rick W.----but I have had preacher friends whos implication to myself was-----Well--If you're not doin' Purpose Driven---Man--you are just completely OUT of God's will!!!

I've looked through PDL---and found nothing there that really appealed to me!!

2. ForYourGlory

ForYourGlory Member

Some real research needs to be done on these men (Daniel Amen, Mark Hyman and Mehmet Oz) that Mr. Warren is seeking advice from. I've researched and done my own homework and it's enough for me to want to stay very far away from them. Is there any discernment out there..........

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Not by Rick Warren, apparently. :confused:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So basically if the best heart surgeon in the world was an atheist, the best breast cancer surgeon was muslim, and the best brain surgeon was hindu...you would not seek out any of their expertise in their fields? Yes...is there any discernment out there?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone is forgetting the eugenics projects of a darwinistic medical profession in the not-too-distant past. The world view of an individual I contract with to perform surgery on me is crucial.

But we're not talking surgery, which is a concrete activity, we're talking about rules about food and "good" mental health. And if you think those are objective, you don't know the Bible or the Gospel.

But it doesn't matter what the subject matter is. Partnerships are significant life choices, and the Bible has some none-too-light things to say about them—especially in regard to the ministry.

What boggles the mind is the near cultic allegiance to Warren exhibited in some of the posts in this thread. The most basic scriptural principles are marginalized and even denied in his defense.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, what you put in your body plays a major role on what kind of surgery you will need one day, or which it will help you to avoid. You consult the professionals in the fields with the most expertise.
    We partner with non believers in day to day activities. If you work, you are a partner. The partnership you are talking about is spiritual partnership, not diet health and fitness.
    Bull. Coming to the defense of someone over perceived "issues" that may or may not be is in no way blindly following a person. The "I hate Rick Warren" crowd has done the very things you accuse those of.
    Have you gone to RW to state your concerns? It's ironic and funny those who speak out against him the most are those who only listen to what the detractors say and never get their information first hand. What part of the program says RW uses meditation or eastern mysticism? Oh I know...someone SAID he did :rolleyes:

7. ForYourGlory

ForYourGlory Member

The point that is being missed, is that this is a church that is promoting these ungodly practices that these men are involved in (mysticism, meditation, hypnosis, Reiki, and I could go on and on with this list of what they practice or believe in) and that's where I have the biggest problem. This IS a spiritual matter and you are dealing with the minds of innocent people. It could be opening up a door to them something that is very wrong. Are there any watchmen out there????

8. ForYourGlory

ForYourGlory Member

The spirit within me tells me something is very wrong here and to not listen to that would be disobedience on my part. As far as I am concerned, you can think, do, and say whatever you want...........me and my household will have NOTHING to do with these practices. I have heard, seen, and researched enough for me to stay very far away.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's how much more than what kind.
    That's not true. A partnership is a yoking, a joining. But this is what I mean about the cultic allegiance. You're redefining concepts in order to hallow them.

Again, one's world view will form his views of those things. The Scriptures are clear on that.

We have his very words.

10. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Those who reject the Word of God have no business whatsoever teaching in the Santuary.

11. Alive in Christ

And it goes without saying that blending christianity with eastern/mystical transendental meditation is a rejection of the word of God.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The church is now promoting meditation, mysticism, hypnosis, reiki? Where do you get that information from?!?

Wow...how something can snowball...

13. ForYourGlory

ForYourGlory Member

If you've done any research, it doesn't take long to see what they believe in and practice. And you can't tell me that they are going to separate the two. Nothing like aligning yourself with the likes of these......it's their job. I'm done discussing this with you. I have seen with my own eyes and have heard plenty enough. Just listening to what comes out of their mouths, I don't need any more proof thank you. Nor will I subject myself or my family to it either.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, web, it is based on hearsay and lies . . many intentional by "haters" but most by those who believe it is true and are outraged. I truly wish people would actually go to first-hand site and see for themselves that the trumped up reports simply are not true.

We've encouraged them to actually go and listen to the interviews of Rick and the three doctors, read the program, see the idea (better health) and see it is not "compromise".

But there are none more blind than one willingly blind. They attacked when the political candidate forum was held. They attacked when the HIV conference was held. They attacked when the addiction programs were held. They attack the PEACE plan mission without even understanding it (my son is in Kenya right now with 30 teens on a PEACE plan short-term mission work).

And so it goes.

15. mandym

mandym New Member

I am curious, what need would a Christian have for obtaining counsel from the following:

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you listen to/get advice for health, finances, politics, family, social justice, news, history, et al only from Baptists??

I enjoy FOX network. Favorite commentators are Mormon and Catholic. I must be evil listening to such and getting counsel on world events from such people.

The mentality of questioning someone's advice because they are not a Baptist (or not a Christian or maybe even an atheist) is a little loopy. And I'm being nice in saying that.

(BTW, I'm not an apologist for Dr Phil or Oz, but if they say something that is true and valid, I will quickly endorse it. Not "them", not "all" of what they might believe. But on the matter that is true and valid? Yeppers)

17. mandym

mandym New Member

What reasonable advice could a church putting together a diet plan receive from the following:

18. Alive in Christ

Its stunning isnt it? It boggles the mind.

These dear ones are ordinarily sound, right thinking, reasonable christians.

And yet, it is as if they have some kind of "mental block" that renders them unable to comprehend something so THOROUGHLY un-christian as this.

Very frustrating.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How's this?

Pastor Rick asks Dr. Daniel Amen, a leading expert on brain health, about how the brain impacts physical, emotional, and cognitive health. Dr. Amen says factors like mental stress, lack of sleep, vitamin D deficiencies and timing of food intake all play a role. But he also emphasizes that the key to health is motivation, and Pastor Rick shares his primary motive for making health a priority in the Decade of Destiny campaign.

Dr. Mark Hyman, one of the most popular doctors in America, explains to Pastor Rick how he is going use his “functional medicine” concept to help participants of The Daniel Plan reach a new level of health. Rather than taking a pill for every ill, Dr. Hyman suggests food has the most powerful influence to balance the body system. However, some people, says Pastor Rick, put more food in their body than others.

Pastor Rick spends a few moments interviewing world-renowned medical leader Dr. Mehmet Oz about “Why do hearts go bad?” and the “ABCs of weight loss.” As a heart surgeon, Dr. Oz explains how fixing heart-related problems with by-passes, stents, and grafts isn’t as important as identifying what is making the blood toxic and reversing the process – the results from this identification will benefit the heart, brain, and every other organ in the body.

Wow...what strange, eastern mysticism that was! There was a ton of eastern religious meditation, reiki, buddhist meditation and strange visions there!! :rolleyes:

Like Dr. Bob said, people hate this man and will try to pull some far fetched stuff out of cyber space that is a deliberate lie in order to smear his name. I'd be more concerned for those here doing this un-Christ like mud slinging than this diet plan! For a professing believer to take part in such tactics is appalling!

#59 webdog, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011