1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Robin did it his way?!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The strongest instinct in an individual is self-preservation. Someone who acts against it generally is not in a right state of mind.

There is a point at which relief is welcome if not sought after.

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reminded of a past member who was on this site, Seekingthetruth.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks ....

I know that I used it correctly. As of late, there have been several members who apparently have way too much time on their hands, leaving them with the challenge of correcting or pointing out someone's misuse of words.

I have what is considered the best on line software for correcting spelling, grammar, and asking me if that was what I meant to say, with a suggestion!

I very seldom post without running my words through WhiteSmoke!

I know that you are a proof reading persona yourself, and certainly didn't intend that photo comment to you!

Blessings and peace!

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't know the reasons behind Robin Williams actions. I can see that someone could be suffering from a condition for which there is no relief other than ending their life. I will not place myself in judgement of the actions of any person in that situation. I do believe it is a sad situation for all, especially those left to deal with the consequences.

All that said, I believe there is a valid case to be made that Dr. Kevorkian was right. That when a person is suffering and in a hopeless situation, they have the right to determine how and when they make their final exit. We euthanize our beloved pets to end their suffering. One could logically argue, how could we permit our even more beloved people to suffer so that we can selfishly keep them with us.

It is a difficult ethical issue. I do think that Mr. Williams was not in a right frame of mind, as who would want to do what he did and leave it for a loved one to find the body?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we are all going to have a heart attack and die of not surprised. :rolleyes:

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I understand you likely are in total disagreement. But rather than engage in rational discussion, you snipe at others, as is your typical behavior. No surprise there.

As stated, I am well aware it is a difficult issue. I respect that there are many opinions. I also submit that unless one is in such a situation, it may not be possible to fully empathize. There is such a thing as trading quantity of life for quality of life. There is no virtue in prolonging hopeless suffering.

Whether or not one agrees with assisted euthanasia in certain circumstances, hopefully there is a larger consensus on using extreme, artificial means to prolong the natural process of dying.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is it Michael J. Fox has? Is it Parkinsons?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We really do not live on our own terms, so I do not know the validity of claiming to die on them. I have seen people with terminal illnesses who used their situation for the glory of God. I understand his decision, but I disagree with the reasoning.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The reasoning completely goes against this life not being our own. But this is one of the problems with so many in the church. A lot of times our "convictions" have everything to do with us and nothing of Christ.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right. Scripture repeatedly demonstrates that our lives are not our own but much too often we our "convictions" seem to lean against all belonging to the Creator in general and more specifically Christians belonging to Christ. In a way one can understand this argument from the secular, but every believer should realize (even skimming Scripture) that they were bought with a price.

That said, when we are placed in that situation we do not know what our ultimate decision will be. It is too easy to examine the life (or death) of another...much harder when you are in that moment.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Absolutely. That's why I think it's important that people recognize that depression is real and is just one more reason why we should treat people as we want to be treated. You never know when your words might just push someone who has secretly been struggling and just hanging on over the edge.

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow ... that was right on!

I believe with all my heart that you are more bark than bite, and with that said, may I add that if you truly believe what you said above, why do you belittle and judge the people on this board? It is not "treating people the way you'd want to be treated" that is unless, you stand in front of the mirror many times a day, and call yourself a bigot, who lacks the love of Christ, and that you are nothing more or less than a sanctimonious person.

If you are a sadist, I can finally believe that what you said above is what you live by, but I think you say one thing, and you do another. And that my dear brother, is the root of your problem! You love to provoke, instigate, stir up, blame, judge, and verbally berate those who you do not agree with. And that means you are not "treating people the way you'd want to be treated?" Which makes you guilty of committing hypocrisy, and you would be at the top of the list of those whoever posted on this board!

You see, Zaac; you can't have it both ways. Unless you are willing to live with the guilt of knowing that one of your judgemental laced responses pushed someone over the edge, as you call it? HOw do you know that one of your rants and raves directed at the group, won't be taken personally, and cause a another to lose hope all together? Your style of debating, is, as it has been since you came on the board, dangerous.

Of course, maybe you get some satisfaction out of sitting on thatvery high up moral throne of judgement, but you have no way of knowing the emotional state of the person at the other end of this cyber space board, and without that kind of information, you really should consider lightening up your pointed attacks, and attempts to demean the spiritual standing a person had with Jesus.