1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roll-call for Arminians on BB... Bueller... Bueller...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, May 11, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

If I fit in any position I will tell you that I do. It is not your place to decide for me or anyone else where they fit. And when you realize that your unnecessary systematic labeling offends someone it is your responsibility to back off. It is sad that intellectualism cannot function outside of systematic labeling. Hence the perception that "Calvinists" are arrogant.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

just was using those "demominatiional" names as the examples of groups holding to a "model" of threology seperate/different from Cals/Arms...

believe that those in those 2 given viewpoints would agree that their held position are quite distict and peculiar to their groups!

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I understand the first sentence in your reply above to be tongue-in-cheek and rather clever. Lol, that was funny, that is, if that was your intent. Even if it wasn't your intent I still find it funny. :smilewinkgrin:

4. mandym

mandym New Member

It was :laugh:

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

And it proved useful because it helped me to see that I was misunderstood. I just meant to say I wanted one thread to have that requirement. I'm not so naive to think they could enforce that as an overall rule. :laugh:

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Oh, well then I did miss something. Sorry

7. humblethinker

I'm glad you brought that up. I think I would take issue with what I perceive to be your linear model. I can see how, in a rudimentary sense it could be informative but I think this linear representation helps to promote the misapplication and misunderstanding of the great variety of ideas and the relationships between those ideas.

Why would everyone best fit in a flat 'line'? Or a horseshoe shaped line? Why not a xy graph or a 3 dimensional model?

con·tin·u·um/kənˈtinyo͞oəm/Noun
    1. A continuous sequence in which adjacent elements are not perceptibly different from each other, although the extremes are quite distinct.

8. humblethinker

I think I understand what you're saying but, believe it or not mandym, I love labels. If we need to create a new label for what you believe because no other label is sufficiently appropriate then i'm all for doing so! My perception regarding anything I believe is that someone has definitely believed it before me, and probably a lot of someones, so much that the belief probably has a label to it. My hope is that this will help me process beliefs and understand my own beliefs in a more logical fashion.

Allow me some self aggrandizing latitude here as I think it would be helpful to the discussion at hand:

(don't steal this one Skan, it's all I have.... And if someone else in the world has said this before me please know that I came by it honestly and just let me live in my ignorance. ;-) you can use it though with attribution :laugh: )