1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 1 and reprobation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't have a problem with what you are saying. I will add, God called Abraham and Abraham chose to obey God's calling.

The only disagreement here between us is that I believe we can reject God's call and you probably don't.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

brother....you want me to agree with you, but you are wrong. Why would I want to do this?

Here is the common ground if that is what you want. NOW...Therefore Abraham was a reprobate. Therefore he was “given over to sin”. Therefore he was in rebellion to a holy God.

Therefore a reprobate. Therefore “given over to sin”. Therefore he was in rebellion to a holy God.
    We will see if you mean this.

Therefore Abraham was a reprobate. Therefore “given over to sin”. Therefore he was in rebellion to a holy God.

No..I said God came to Abraham the reprobate.

No...he did just as all men in Romans 1, because he too was a reprobate.

The reason, ...this is what the Bible says.

This we agree on

Abraham was reprobate just as all men, just as Paul says, just as I showed you the OT says he is......understand?

ok

Yes..and therefore reprobate. Given over to sin. In rebellion to God.

The elect are...yes. The others remain reprobates. Election is God acting up on the desire to sin by all men, to hinder it's control power on man, which God has allowed so far to sin. But when the eyes are open, man sees himself as a sinner and desires to be saved from the sin. Otherwise, nothing changes in the sinner

Election

ok...then you mean all men are reprobates...given over to sin.....rebellion to God.

I would never say this. Why can't you get this?????? They have rebelled. They are all reprobates. They are all given over to sin. That is Pauls point. You keep wanting me to agree with you when you wrong.

NO you don't get it. I'm saying ABRAHAM WAS in full rebellion...given over to sin. HE WORSHIPED OTHER GODS!!!!!!!!

:)

No its not a new list, its the same list. If you rebell you become hard to God.

DING DING DING!!!! I have said this from the start!!!! Helloo??

Yes I am saying this. On the other thread you asked for other reformed believers that teach this, and I gave you a list of maybe 10. Why didn't you read this after asking for it? Why can you not understand??
    reason (As I said before)...you don't know what hardening is.

Not unlike, but just like the Romans 1 people.

I'm not asking you to agree with me...just UNDERSTAND WHAT I"M SAYING. Can you not do this??

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Of course ALL people are reprobates -- yes, even the elect -- until GOD regenerates them and makes them a NEW CREATION.

And yes, I'm Reformed in my doctrine and I'm saying this.

Jarthur001, how about we cut to the chase and just say what those who wish for some special class of people who can "see God" and/or "join God" before God does a work in them for what they really believe:

GOD HELPS THEM WHO HELP THEMSELVES

I'd love to see a proof-text for that! :wavey:

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Ok, Jarthur, I can see now some of the reason we've had some confusion. I've been more familiar with Calvinists using the term "reprobate" as equal to the "non-elect" ....maybe more from those who hold to more of a "double predestination" view. But now I understand that you view it more as a "condition" of all men prior to their being regenerated. Not all Calvinists use the term in that manner, as I suppose you know.

However, lets just cut to the chase. You still aren't saying anything different from what I've been attempting to show. I've said in one of my first posts to you that you are describing the nature of all mankind IF GOD DIDN'T ELECT THEM.

But tell me, when did Abraham (or many of the others I've listed) refuse to acknowledge God as God? When did he rebel to the point described in Romans 1? When did a lot of people who were born and raised in church rebel to this level of rebellion against God?

Don't even Calvinistic scholars acknowledge that men grow more hardened and sinful over a period of time if they remain in rebellion? Sure they do. Many here have made that point with me several times in our discussions regarding hardening.

If someone is saved at an early age there is never a time in their lives they "refuse to acknowledge God" or fall into much of the debauchery described here. Yes, they sin and yes they fall short of the demands of the law. Why? Because as you said already, if you've broken one you are just as guilty as if you broke them all, but that doesn't mean you are just as affected as if you broke them all. A man who does all those sins is different than a man who has only been covetous and disobedient to his parents, not in regard to his guilt before the law of God, but in regard to how his heart is affected. One has GROWN calloused.

You're view doesn't seem to be allowing for any time of "GROWTH" or "BECOMING" because you seem to argue they are like that from birth, when clearly that is NOT the case. Why do you think God would point to a child as the example of what we must become to enter the kingdom?

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

GL, Are you here seeking to get "whomever" to agree that "regeneration" must occur before being born again? Is that the reason for your emphasis here?

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Not trying to get "whomever" to say anything.

Not really sure they can...

But, I am pointing out a simple fact. The way the Arminian position of faith before regeneration is often presented in these debates equals "God helps them who help themselves."

Not sure that is even possible... In fact, I'm quite sure it is not. :thumbsup:

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think even a double-predestinarian would use Romans 1 as a proof text. If they did it would be a mistake.

The key is, as JArthur has masterfully explained, the context determines the meaning of the word. In this case, it is a general reprobation which mankind has brought upon himself through his own willful sin.

And as for children, a child may enter the kingdom before an adult because the child can more easily grasp the simplicity of faith. You seem to imply that a child can enter into the kingdom because they have within themselves some greater degree of purity that makes them worthy.

8. Skandelon

That wasn't my point.

Why? Is he not born just as totally depraved?

Not purity. They are sinful and in need of a savior. But there is clearly a distinction. The one you already admitted to. They can "grasp" (understand) and "accept" it, while those who have grown hardened in their rebellion have much more trouble. If they are born Totally Depraved this distinction wouldn't exist.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, but don't separate the means from the cause and effect. God may use the means of Gospel simplicity to reach the child, but only if God causes the awakening the child from its depravity, with the effect being salvation.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The Light given in Romans 1 is for the purpose of realizing that there is a Creator, and we aer without excuse. The Gospel, saving faith, comes from hearing the Scripture. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. So how can infants, toddlers, children under the age of understanding right from wrong, grasp something and accept it when they have not heard it? You seem hung up on the phrase totally depraved. Why dont you use the term in Romans 3:10, no one is righteous? So, this person cannot grasp or accept, not only because he has not heard the Gospel, but because he is not righteoous.

If they were totally depraved???????????? If a grasshopper had a machine gun, the birds wouldn't eat him.

11. Osage Bluestem

When a man is regenerated he loves GOd and wants to be like him. He begins a process of renewing his mind and becoming more like Christ. He has compassion where before there was none. He has love where before there was only selfishness.

A christian is spiritually fearless. There is no fear or cowardice in Jesus. The more a man becomes like the lord the more he hates sin, loves God and fears nothing.

It is not fear that brings a man to Christ. It is the love of God who took him away from death and gave him life in Christ. The Holy Spirit snatches the man away from death and tells him to "come forth". He gives him a new life, a new heart, and makes him a new creation. Once a man actually sees for the first time with his God given regenerate eyes he loves the GOd he sees and rejoices in his glory and love and joyfully accepts Christ and follows him as lord.

There is still the body of death a man is trapped in until the time he is shead of it. BUt the spirit is alive and Christ is stronger than death. There is no regenerate person who will not ultimately defeat teh flesh because there is victory in Jesus and he has won. NO more death, pain, or hurt in Jesus, only life truth love.

If a man is following Jesus out of fear of his justice and he is doing that regretfully wishing the whole time he could just go sin, he has no faith at all. That is simply cowardice. He is not trusting Jesus, he is submitting against his will. He is not loving Jesus, he is secretly bitter that Jesus hates the things he loves.

A regenerate man does not love sin. He hates sin and loves God. He fights tooth and nail against his diseased body that is sinful corruption and prays for Christs swift return and destruction of evil.

A regenerate saved man is all in for Christ. He wants what CHrist wants and loves what Christ loves. The more he becomes like Christ the more he is selfless and fearless.

#71 Osage Bluestem, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, if you feel ad hominems are what wins debates ;)

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe some Arminians believe this...but I haven't come across one on this board that doesn't believe God acts first. Acts 17:26-27

Why do you keep regurgitating such tripe?

#73 webdog, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Because that is essentially what every debate concerning Arminianism/Calvinism comes down to. God elects those people that God SEES accepting Him in faith. Just try to tell me that has never been said on this board -- or by you.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I will without a shadow of a doubt tell you I have never said that as I do not believe it. I actually recall discussing this with you already, but I guess you just like to continue to regurgitate that which is untrue.

16. Skandelon

If that is the case then there would be no distinction between an adult or the child, making Jesus' words in pointing to the child as an example of what we must be like meaningless.

17. Skandelon

Webdog is right glf. This is a mischaracterization of the scholarly view of most non-Calvinists.

We believe in election and predestination, but just not in the way Calvinists do. We believe God has predestined all believers to be adopted (something we all look forward to at the end of our life) and to be conformed to the image of God (again something being accomplished in us throughout life. So God is not predestining individual lost people to believe, but instead he is expressing that all those who choose to believe will be adopted and conformed.

A coach can determine before his team is assembled that his team will be the most well conditioned team in the league. In other words, he can predetermine what will happen to those on his team. This is no way suggests that he will be the one effectually making individuals join his team, but only that he has predetermined what those on his team will become.

That is not a "foresight" of faith view.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Of course it is... God "sees" who will accept Him, so He chooses those.

You can couch your belief in theological terms, but it doesn't change the bottom line of your belief at all. God helps them who help themselves.

19. Skandelon

Did you even read what I wrote, or have you just decided you must already know everything about what we actually believe?

Some of us don't believe that God merely chooses those who he foresees to believe. I've described what we believe, you can accept it or continue to make up straw men and attack them if you would like. Which will it be?

20. Skandelon

BTW, what you are doing is just like if we were to quote a bunch of hypers and ascribe their views to you. How would that make you feel? How would you react to that?