1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 9:8 and the Straw man argument

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dr. Walter, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Rom. 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

SBG has put forth a STRAW MAN argument concerning this text. He attempts to put me in the position of asserting that ONCE BORN ETHNIC JEWS are the children of promise and then quotes the text as proof I am wrong.

However, I have NEVER argued that ONCE BORN ethnic Jews are the children of promise. Indeed, I have interpreted verse 8 by its preceding and foregoing context to prove that ONCE BORN ETHNIC JEWS are not the children of promise nor are the subjects of the promises. Hence, his argument is a pure straw man argument.

What I have argued is that verses 3-5 clearly assert that the promises PERTAIN to ETHNIC JEWS as a NATION but not to ONCE BORN ethnic Jews as a nation but rather to TWICE BORN ethnic Jews as a nation.

Proof that I am right and SBG is wrong is that he has not yet even attempted to demonstrate that verses 3-5 explicitly defines ethnic Israel and explicit states that the promises pertain to that kind of Israel.

Furthermore, verse 8 only denies that the promises are given to ONCE BORN ethnic Jews as a nation but verses 9-13 confirm that the promises are to TWICE BORN ethnic Jews as a nation.

Neither can he provide any specific contextual evidence to disprove the identify of "israel" as used in Romans 11:1-28 as ETHNIC ISRAEL as a NATION as ONCE BORN (vv. 9-22) and then as TWICE BORN (vv. 25-28).

All he can do and all that any reader who takes his position can do is simply jerk partial texts out context and make STRAW MEN assertions that are unfounded and a complete distortion of the immediate context in which they are found and jerked out from.