1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Paul: Surrender Should Not Be An Option

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 8, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Not at all. Our military accomplished the goals they were given long ago. It is the Iraqi government that has failed to meet its responsibilities, not our troops.

2) I disagree. North Vietnam had a communist government and a significant part of the South Vietnamese supported the Viet Cong.

3) Just because the French government does something doesn't mean that the government of these United States should do it.

Also, part of leadership is to not be shortsighted but to look to the future. None of our leaders can realistically tell us that by keeping our troops in Iraq for another year, or another five years, or another ten years(if we even have the manpower and money to stay in Iraq much longer) that we will be able to withdraw them under conditions any more favorable than they are today. Based on the history of the area it is realistic to plan based on conditions for withdrawal not being any more favorable one year, or five years, or ten years from now.

#21 KenH, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Since we are there, and since everyone keeps mentioning Japan and Germany and history lessons, why is the concept so hard to understand that if a nation is going to fight a war, the idea is to fight to win? If a nation is not going to fight to win, then get out. Saying we are already there and continue with a limited fighting and inept leadership does not solve the problem.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This is just a plain denial of reality. Our troops have not protected the government until it is stable and self-sustaining. Look at the facts Ken. You don't have to like them, but at least look at them.

I am not sure that's true, but I am not an expert on Vietnam. The truth is we bailed out and left a country alone and without a chance at a decent future.

Of course not. But the actions of the French is the reason that we are not under the crown today.

My point exactly. Ron Paul is showing a great short-sightedness which is inexcusable for a man who would be president.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our troops most certainly have.

About the only thing our troops haven't done is to march into the Iraqi parliament house, point their guns at the heads of the inept Iraqi politicians, and told them to settle their differences or else. And I don't think that you would want our troops to do any such thing any more than I do.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

We must be talking about different things Ken. The Iraq War I am talking about still has an insurgency trying to kill government officials, and these officials have not yet come together on a governing structure between the three parties.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Hmm....maybe you're onto something here :thumbs: :laugh:

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a job for Black Water USA than international troops to me.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I doubt that either of those conditions will change regardless of how long our troops are in Iraq.