1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Paul

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ShotGunWillie, Sep 28, 2007.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Why do people consider Ron Paul conservative? I have seen him speak several times and I am not getting that impression at all. Actually the more I hear him speak the less conservative he becomes in my eyes.

Last night's debate proved my point once again. When the discussion of the War on Drugs was posed, he implied legalizing narcotics as the answer. Apparently not only is alcoholism a disease, so is drug abuse. It appears that if you have any addiction and can not control yourself, you have a disease, not an addiction. You need not suffer a punishment for your actions, you need some therapy. See also, Joycelyn Elders.

Another point I would like to make concerning the debate last night, Alan Keyes was on point. He was great, as was Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter.

Duncan Hunter gets my vote, he appears to be the only true conservative actually in the running, that might have a chance.

Huckabee did make a point about Darfur and how we can't handle the genocide in the United States (abortion) why would we go over there to handle their problems with it.

Thanks

2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Didn't see the debate, but Keyes was everything I wanted, back when, till the racism effects in him came out. If/when he deals with those issues, and I don't think he can, he'd be a great candidate.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He isn't. He is a libertarian philosophically, as I am.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I think I was saying politically, not so much philosophically

5. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

People consider him conservative because of personal, different definitions of the term conservative. Tell me how you define the term and I'll tell you if I am or not.

6. Ivon Denosovich

Change Darfur to Iraq and you have not only a point, but a relevant one.

7. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

You consider what is taking place in Iraq to be genocide? On who's part?

8. Ivon Denosovich

By Sunni, Shii (sp?), even Kurdish extremists, plus scant remnants of Al-Qaeda. (According to some, the Taliban are trying to stage a comeback.) Basically, whoever's unnecessarily killing anyone else. I've given up keeping score. Personally, I think Huckabee should have said, "Darfur? We can't even help people who religiously want a democracy!"

#8 Ivon Denosovich, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  9. Ivon Denosovich

<hijack>

Genocide it is.

</hijack>

Back to Paul.

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Yet, he supports the Iraq war...go figure.

Typical politician...pure double-speak.

If the current war was started by Bill Clinton, all of the Republicans would be calling it the worst mistake any President has ever gotten this country involved in. They'd all be calling for immediate withdrawal.

Pure hogwash is all their words are.

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

DOR's claim conservatism as does RP because they think they have an original view of the constitution. But the reality is their view is much like hyper-calvinism in that it takes some basics to far off the deepend. RP does hold to some conservative veiws but also holds to some very liberal views such as drugs and abortion.

Those who like to make attempts to grab on to the term conservative to describe themsleves, but really are as liberal as RP is will try to muddy the waters on the term so as to find some resting place inside that term with some amount of comfort. All you have to do is talk to them for a while and their true colors will appear. The term conservative doesn't vary. It is what it is.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those views on drugs are libertarian, not liberal.

Those views on abortion are federalist, not liberal.

There is more to politics, Timmy, than just the inadequate liberal-conservative linear paradigm.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. You are correct.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

OH no. they are quite liberal.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong, Timmy. Your lack of political understanding is becoming rather legendary in this forum.

Have a nice day, brother. :)

16. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I am looking for a canidate that takes a biblical view on
    abortion as oppose to liberal or federalist.

17. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Who is taking their lives, American forces or their own people?

18. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Really? Where does it say in any Federalist paper that "abortion" or any other similar act of murder should be left tot he states?

19. Ivon Denosovich

Their own. As I said on page 1 the killing is

20. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I would rather have a politician who pushes for a realistic solution, like putting the matter back to the states, than one who has pipe dreams of a constitutional amendment that will never come around.

This is simple.

If you want to see real results in curtailing abortions, elect Ron Paul. If you want the wholesale slaughter of children to continue in earnest from here to eternity, elect someone else.

I'd rather vote for Ron Paul who will actually do something about it than for a typical "pro-life" politician who only uses the issue to pander to people like you.

Your belief is on par with a person who refuses to work because they will only settle for winning the lottery. All or nothing, right? Tell that to the babies who will be killed in every single state in this country today. With a Ron Paul solution, that statement could not be said.