1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SABBATH POLL REDUX

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Eric B, May 10, 2006.

?
  1. The Law is abolished and so the Sabbath no longer needs to be kept

15.8%
  2. We need to keep the Law of God but the Sabbath has been omitted from it

21.1%
  3. The Law of God still applies, and so does the Sabbath, but it is just any day you choose out of 7

21.1%
  4. The Law of God still applies and so does the Sabbath but it is Sunday

21.1%
  5. The Law of Moses was for Old covenant Israel only, and has been "fulfilled", and the sabbath was apa

21.1%
  6. The Law of God still applies to us today and so does the 7th Day Sabbath

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

And those are some of the Seven with the exception of "honor your mother and father" and "do not covet". These were repeated in the NT, because in principle, they are apart of the universal moral law, and yes, it is magnified. And since they were apart of both OT Law and NT principle, Christ could give them to this Israelite who did keep the Ten Commandments (along with the rest of the Law).
    Still, as your comrade Bob even pointed out, the OT ceremonial laws were still in effect then, so sorry, that is not giving you your authority to keep the Ten only (plus a handpicked selection of some of the others).

Besides, the sabbath is more ceremonial anyway. It is not moral (our dealings with mankind), and is not like blasphemy or idolatry, where it is necessary for our relationship to God. Else, it would have been emphasized along with the others in places like Rom.13, instead of a generalization back to the foundational two commandments. (Which shows us the rest of the Law for us today is of the spirit, not the letter).

2. gekko

gekko New Member

what's with this "SEVEN" biz-wiz?

i think that's just a bunch of balogne. that's right. rotten balogne.

why? well... there's ten commandments in exodus 20.

like - where do you get seven out of the bible?

are you saying that there's only seven commandments that we need to follow? or whats the jack man?

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Look 9 posts above. Complete with the scripture references. These are the original universal laws which were before the Ten, which were given to Israel only.
    I know you may have never heard of this, but then once again, that's because the Church thas made the mistake of claiming to follow the Ten, but with one changed; or just nine of the Ten, or whichever other way they did it. People think the New Covenant is just a modification of the old, but it's not.

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, "The Law of God still applies, and so does the Sabbath, but it is just any day you choose out of 7",
    "The Law of God still applies and so does the Sabbath but it is Sunday"
    "The Law of Moses was for Old covenant Israel only, and has been 'fulfilled', and the sabbath was apart of that law only, so is no longer binding" [​IMG]
    and "The Law of God still applies to us today and so does the 7th Day Sabbath" are all tied at 4;
    "The Law is abolished and so the Sabbath no longer needs to be kept" is at 3, and "We need to keep the Law of God but the Sabbath has been omitted from it" is at 0!

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

And those are some of the Seven with the exception of "honor your mother and father" and "do not covet". These were repeated in the NT, because in principle, they are apart of the universal moral law, and yes, it is magnified. And since they were apart of both OT Law and NT principle, Christ could give them to this Israelite who did keep the Ten Commandments (along with the rest of the Law).
    Still, as your comrade Bob even pointed out, the OT ceremonial laws were still in effect then, so sorry, that is not giving you your authority to keep the Ten only (plus a handpicked selection of some of the others).

Besides, the sabbath is more ceremonial anyway. It is not moral (our dealings with mankind), and is not like blasphemy or idolatry, where it is necessary for our relationship to God. Else, it would have been emphasized along with the others in places like Rom.13, instead of a generalization back to the foundational two commandments. (Which shows us the rest of the Law for us today is of the spirit, not the letter).
    </font>[/QUOTE]Eric,

I missed the entire thing about the seven laws, could you tell me what they are?

In Romans 13 it says "and if there be any other commandment" so that would include the Sabbath commandment, wouldnt it? [​IMG]

Claudia

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Oh I see the seven now, I scrolled up.

7. gekko

gekko New Member

ed.

why do you say there's only seven?

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Interestingly the original hasn't got the whole phrase "He who observes the day observes it to the Lord"! The whole phrase is inserted!
    Lekker to find something we agree on, Bob!

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By correctly leaving out this phrase it is confirmed what you have observed, bob, the one who eats meat and drinks wine (which you have not observed), are the 'strong'.

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And of course, - pardon I failed to mention - those who observed the day to the Lord - were the 'strong ones'.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another mistake I have made: Who DOES drink wine, is the 'strong'. I think I should lay off for a while to regain my wits!