1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabbath-Scriptures Unknown

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    EM:
    "This text (Acts20:7) shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Breaking of the Bread on Sunday, the "first day of the week." Luke documents the principle worship was on Sunday because this was one of the departures from the Jewish form of worship"

Erroneous from a to z.
    This text shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Breaking of the Bread on the Sabbath! For, "on first day of the week" Luke documented the fact "the disciples were gathered together still after they had had assembled". In principle that means they worshiped on the Sabbath BEFORE Sunday because this was one of the Christian traditions maintained: "Therefore their still remains the duty for the People of God of Sabbath-keeping" - Hb4:9.

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IM:
    "The Gospel writers purposely reveal Jesus' resurrection and appearances were on Sunday. This is because Sunday had now become the most important day in the life of the Church."

GE:
    The Gospel writers purposely reveal Jesus' appearances were on Sunday - simply because His resurrection in fact occurred on the day before, namely, on the Sabbath.

"This is because Sunday had now become the most important day in the life of the Church" as though "now" was hundreds of years later. Truth is, it was just the day after jesus' resurrection, "THEN", "AS God raised Christ in the glory of the Father" WHICH IS NOTHING THAN, IN THE FATHER'S REST! God raised christ in the power and energy of His 'Rest', and therefore quite simply, on the day of His rest, ther Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD YOUR MIGHTY ONE". "The Mighty One", God, who only knows what 'rest' truly is --- all because of Jesus Christ.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IM:
    "Because we have a new Priest and a new sacrifice, we also have a new day of worship, which is Sunday.
    Heb. 7:12 - For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."

GE:
    A change has indeed been made as far as the Law is concerned; it concerns the Law as a whole or it does not concern the Law at all. Your picking and choosing from the law is destructive of your own argument. The change that had come about with Jesus Christ, IS, Jesus Christ; HE, now, has become the Law of God in the place of the Letter-Law. Now, for the first time, God reveals the Law in HIS, own Being and fulness. (Try your excuses now before THIS, 'Holy One'!)

Now we see for the first time the reason why the Sabbath is in the OT called by God, "My Holy" -- without the word 'day'. It is because when Jesus would come, God's Sabbath Day would find its essence through and in Him, the Holy One of God.

Another Sabbath-Scripture Unknown!

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    IM:
    "Regarding the day of rest, if Joshua had given rest, God would not later speak of "another day," which is Sunday, the new Sabbath. Sunday is the first day of the week and the first day of the new creation brought about by our Lord's resurrection, which was on Sunday.
    Heb. 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God."

I can't help use one of BobRyan's favourate phrases: This now is "making stuff up"! It is such a great heap of trash you dish up here one cannot answer it in a few lines. Refer http://www.biblestudents.co.za.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now see - our little sessions have proven helpful!:applause:

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Heb 4 is quoting psalms. "TODAY if you hear His voice - harden not your heart" -- are you claiming that in Psalms 95 they were keeping Sunday and dumping Sabbath???

The promise is given to the saints of the OT through David after so long a time – since that failing generation in Moses’ day. Psalms 95 is using the symbol of Canaan as the symbol of ultimate rest in Christ as saints. (Note: David was not expelled from Canaan for being a saint – saved in Christ and born-again. Those who want to use this argument FOR perseverance by abolishing those positive examples of REST it appeals to – are wrenching the text to their own usages.)

Indeed the OFFER of true rest - being in perfect harmony and communion with God as was Adam on HIS first Sabbath - REMAINED even in the time of the Sabbath keeping saints in David’s generation – WHEN they were all already IN the land of Canaan where Joshua had led them. Yet even there that promise “that remains today” was given calling it "TODAY" in David’s time Ps 95:7. Paul switches from the Psalms 95 argument that being IN Canaan is “rest” (certainly it was the rest denied to the people of Moses’ day). David and his generation are IN the land of Canaan but Paul says that they too were at risk / in danger of not entering into rest. A kind of rest that Joshua could not have given them by leading them into the REST of Canaan. Paul argues that we are in the same condition – the need to diligently enter into that spiritual rest of salvation – just as David’s generation needed to enter.

We are simply offered this SAME promise given to God's Sabbath-keeping saints - in Ps 95 as it was called then - "TODAY".

The SAME offer of spiritual REST ACTIVE in Ps 95 - IS STILL the message of Today. The SAME rest as the OT Sabbath-keeping saint (David) spoke of as being VALID in His day – still “remains” today.

Paul argues that this positive example of rest – God’s Sabbath remains and that JUST as Israel could not enter the OT Canaan example of rest while unfaithful and disobedient SO the saints of David’s day could not enter the true Sabbath rest while unfaithful and disobedient. Paul argues that we – like them – should “fear” and should seek to enter the rest fully as “Believers” that endure “firm until the end”. He argues the same Heb 3 point for perseverance as the necessary means of entering into that positive example of rest. In this case – Christ the Creator’s Holy day.

Hebrews 4 represents the day in a way that applies equally to OT as well as NT. It forces the observation of the fact that there is "No Change".

Instead of saying "It USED to be given by God as just an external act but NOW it is an internal spiritual relationship with God" - the text argues that the same Sabbath principle of all OT saints remains (that would be "all" according to list of Heb 11 not just Jews) is still in play.

The text of Heb 4 does not argue for "a change" it claims that the Sabbath "remains" today as it was in the OT - just as God intended it "There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the People of God". It does not say "we now have a NEW kind of Sabbath very different from what God gave in the OT - that one does NOT remain - a NEW one is now instituted".

But those who choose to ignore Christ the Creator’s Gen 2:3 Holy day sometimes ignore this disconfirming aspect of Heb 4 as it does not fit the tradition they have chosen.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have referred to the word “revived” in Romans 14:9 before, that it is a case of equivalent intention and use of the word “refreshed” in Exodus 31:17.

Now I have been ridiculed for seeing and pointing out what no one else has noticed, but what has been there since Paul had written his Letter.

I have tried so far, to show Paul was actually quoting from Exodus 31 – a ‘Sabbath-passage’ from Holy Writ. I shall proceed to further support this finding with regard to another clause from Romans 14:9, Paul’s words namely, “that He might be Lord both of the dead and living”.

The following is read in verse 13 on, of Exodus chapter 31,
    And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore. . . . In the Seventh is the Sabbath of Rest, Holy to the LORD . . . . wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and (but), on the Seventh, He rested, and was refreshed (revived).

Undeniably Paul had this word from God’s Word in the back of his mind when he wrote Romans 14:9! Romans 14:9 therefore contains – or rather as a whole is – a direct allusion to the Sabbath Day. And what is important for us, as believers of the Sabbath of the LORD your God, is, that Paul’s argumentation here implies Apostolic regard for and sanction of the Sabbath Day, and that he justifies this implication, through respect for and with regard unto, the Word of God, even the Old Testament.

Wherefore – as far as we, are concerned – the Sabbath, throughout all generations, shall be “a perpetual covenant” “between me and the children of Israel for ever”. This lasting quality of the Sabbath Day as sign between the LORD and Israel, depends on two things: That “the children of Israel” are “God’s People”, which ‘People’ it will stay for as long as the Elect of God had been elected. And two, the lasting quality of the Sabbath Day as sign between the LORD and Israel, depends on God being the LORD of His People. In the last analysis, the Sabbath is not the People’s even, but God’s. The Sabbath belongs to God; he possesses it – none other; no man, no Church, no authority. As Christ was “being raised” and was being “exalted”, “far above all principality and power and might and dominion and every name that is named not only in this world but also in that which is to come”, so He by and in His “obtained”, “finished”, Lordship, lifted up and out of reach of all these powers, the Day of His ‘triumphant’ ‘entry into his own rest as God’. No matter what “the dead” –‘Israel to the flesh’– might have done with or to the Sabbath; no matter what “the living” –‘Spiritual Israel’– might have attempted, the Sabbath belongs to the LORD in His overcoming and vanquishing of sin, death and hell. Glory to His Name!

Paul phrases this divine fact, “between me and the children of Israel for ever”, in the words, “that He might be Lord both of the dead and living”. With, “the children of Israel for ever”, Paul means nothing less than Spiritual Israel, all believers – of the New Testament era –“the living”– as well as all believers of the Old Testament era –“the dead”.

Paul’s reference to “both the dead and the living” must be understood further as an indirect allusion to the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. He was Lord “to us-ward” both in dying and in being raised from the dead. “To us-ward” Christ died and rose. He both died and was “raised in the glory of the Father” – which established Christ’s glory of Lordship. (Christ’s Lordship is built on both truths of His resurrection and death, and without the one or the other, is no lordship, and a lordship over no people.) For the justification and righteousness of His people’s sake, Christ “triumphed”. Christ sealed the Covenant with His having ‘entered into His own rest as God’ and through ‘having given them’ –‘both the dead and the living’– “rest”. Wherefore the Sabbath is regarded as Covenant Seal – Seal of the Covenant of Grace!

(The Sabbath tells what a man believes: that he lives by faith in the grace of God; or it –the Sabbath Day– becomes an abomination in the sight of God. The Prophets also teach us that.)

Paul, I am convinced, thought the same way while he wrote Romans 14:9, virtually quoting from Exodus 31, “For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that He might be LORD, both of the dead and of the living”. The context of both Scriptures shows it.

A lot more might still be said –and better– we hope to see in future. Now what, but empty denial, can be brought in against such an understanding of Romans 14:9? Come what may, thus I believe. Grant us an untroubled conscience, so help us God.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BobRyan:
    "The text of Heb 4 does not argue for "a change" it claims that the Sabbath "remains" today as it was in the OT - just as God intended it "There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the People of God". It does not say "we now have a NEW kind of Sabbath very different from what God gave in the OT - that one does NOT remain - a NEW one is now instituted".

There had been more than one change as regards the Sabbath, from early on even in the Old Testament. The were changes brought about through Divine intervention - acts of redemption; each time!
    Therefore why no change when the greatest of all redemption events had come about?
    The first Sabbath 'institution' departs from the acts of God in creation. It does not even refer to Israel or labour as factors of its institution.
    Then came the Exodus institution, when Israel and their deliverance were most prominent; their anxious toiling towards self-salvation from Egypts' slavery, determined the strong prohibition of work in this Commandment.
    But scarcely had this Sabbath been "made known" to Israel, or God, having revealed Himself the redeemer of Israel, institutes the Sabbath with great changes again! Again man's work finds no part in God's redemption. The motive for the Sabbath is neither the creation nor slavery in the first place, but redemption - free, redemption!

Not long after, Israel had forgotten God's Redemption and practiced full-fledged idolatry. Again He revealed His redeeming love and power, on, and by use of, His Sabbath Day, and crowned the typical Son of God and of His People, on that very Sabbath Day of victory over the forces of sin and death.
    then came the Sabbath of the Babylonish period, and of the later prophets - and once again the Sabbath was emphasised for its signal function. The Sabbath became sign in the first place of God's faithfulness amidst Israels unfaithfulness. God the Covenant God, time and again reinstitutes His Sabbath Day to show His faithfulness.

That last promise of God's faithfulness was the prelude to His fulfilment and confirmation of all Law and Prophecy and Song of all Israel - of both the living and the dead. The Sabbath is given Spiritual Israel under the Lordship of Jesus Christ in the Kingdom of God and heaven for "feasting your Sabbath's feast" in the face of "any man" of this world menacing you in your freedom.

Change, has been one of the great attributes of the Sabbath Day that is the Lord's Day, even that of Christ Jesus "in these last days", "as God concerning the Seventh Day spake", "through the Son". "The hour of His judgment has come" in Christ Jesus, "For to this end Christ both died, and rose, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living . . . for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God.

Bob Ryan, Claudia T, DHK, read!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Here is the critical point you keep missing in your homilies substituted in for actual Exegesis. I am arguing for what the text DOES say -- you are arguing for what you THINK of the Sabbath and other information that you would love to have seen the author bring up in his text.

That simply is not sound exegesis. Look at what Heb 4 DOES say - not on all the OTHER THINGS that you wish had been inserted into the text.

That has to be the STARTING point or else the entire conversation would go to something like "GE likes to think of these things instead of what is written in Heb 4 as he READS Heb 4.... and BobRyan likes to think of these other things".

That is a totally pointless format for debate and learning. Your entire post is of the form "Here is an interesting way GE has found to look at the entire Sabbath subject" without actually getting to real arguments made in Heb 4.

But since My comment is specific to the actual statements of GOD in Heb 4 - you really need to address it.

We keep going around and around -- me using Exegesis and you talking about the "subject in general" and avoiding the inconvenient details in the text under discussion.

in Christ,

Bob

10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ag man, Bob, hoekom moet jy my altyd verkeerd opvryf!

Did the Sabbath Commandment or Institution CHANGE during redemption history, or did it not?

I say the SABBATH changed; not the Sabbath DAY!

Your co-operation could add great value; but you must always oppose - for no reason whatsoever!

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Just look at this tirade! What for. You don't use Scripture profitably, you just bark against the thunder of the Word of God!

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I in all modesty prefer my 'homilies' to your 'actual Exegesis', because I want everything I believe, to be to the glory of God in the face of Christ Jesus. What is your aim? To belittle anything not your own 'actual exegesis'!

I'm sick of 'exegesis'. I'm tired of learnedness. I'm dead by winning arguments. I love to be the looser, if Christ could gain.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BR:
    "..."The text of Heb 4 does not argue for "a change" it claims that the Sabbath "remains" today as it was in the OT ..."

Your blindness penetrates your upper-chamber. This very Scriptures per se is an argument for the change of the Sabbath - a change for the richer and deeper in essence and grounding; a change for the greater in scope and elevation. If you cannot see it, I'm sorry, but I'll have to admit defeat - defeat in helping another see.