1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabbath truth arguements...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by AAA, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Darren:
    "I'll just put it plainly. I don't think these passages are even relivent. Jesus hadn't died and risen yet, hence, the new covenant, was not in effect. Also, Jesus was not saying how important the Sabbath was or was not, actually I think He was trying to get the Pharasees to use common sense regarding it."

GE:
    Jesus died and was resurrected our Law round about 30 AD? Matthew was written about the year 70 AD? yet "Jesus hadn't died and risen yet"? What difference would it have made in any case, but to have established Jesus Christ God's Law for eternity to come, as well as for eternity before?

#61 Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BR:
    "Under the New Covenant the "Law is written on the heart" (Heb 8) and it is "Established" Rom 3:31. Not sure how that New Covenant would invalidate the words of Jesus in the Gospels."

GE
    Not denying anything you say, please! I have never before thought of this one: Under the New Covenant with its many helps, most important of which is the availability of the Word of God to everyone, the "Law is written on the heart" in the sense of known by everyone interested as were it by heart - from memory! It is "established" Rom 3:31 - common knowledge, no one can argue. Now the ultimate validation of God's Law is that under the new Testament Jesus Christ takes in the place and function of the Law and claims all its honour for Himself! Isn't that great! Isn't that to have The Law - God's Word -, written in one's heart, mind, life and everything pertaining Salvation?

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would differ in that I would use the term "New Covenant" and I would argue that the "new birth" -- "new Creation" -- "New heart" benefit of the gospel is the "one Gospel" in all ages -- both OT and NT and that any saint in either OT or NT had to have this born-again experience because no amount of "honor parents" or "Remember the Sabbath" or "do not murder" would save them either OT or NT. This has been my position on this board since coming here - so far it seems to be a good solution.

in Christ,

Bob

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BR
    I did not author the Ten Commandments - they are not "mine" to force on anyone -- for myself I simply choose to obey Law of God -- the Commandments of God as we find them in "The Bible".

GE
    You make it sound so simple, Bob Ryan; but is it? For example, "Thou shalt do NO work on the Sabbath"? You go to church, the spietkop regulates the traffic. You make a call on your cell phone, and up into the heavens the whole system starts working - you, have made a beginning with. And then, if we have done no work on the Sabbath, have we kept the Sabbath?

Remember, says the Law, the Sabbath, and we think of the day we must remember -- true; but is it the 'day' we must remember, and there our memory stops? Must we not rather think of the 'Sabbath' as God's Rest? What is God's Rest? It was His resting on the Seventh Day, sure! But it was infinitely more than that; it was his WORKS and the finishing of all his works, IN CHRIST. And then, when, in Christ? Only then, do we actually arrive at the day -- when we have found the answer to this BIG, "When?", which was "When, God raised Christ from the dead. Now THAT, ONLY a Christian would realise and appreciate, so that God's Finishing of ALL His Works in Jesus Christ, brings about a change to the Law of God to deny is to deny Salvation.