1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabbath

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael D. Edwards, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Michael D. Edwards

Michael D. Edwards New Member

As I look around, there seems to be an increasing thought that the Christians are to not only worship on the Lord's day, but also to keep the Sabbath. They say that God made it ETERNALLY a holy day, not just for the Jews during the Old Testament.

Any thoughts?

Michael

2. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

The only laws in the OT we should feel obliged to keep today are those re-inforced in the NT. Of the 10 commandments 9 were taught or strengthened in the NT but the sabbath day one was not. In fact Romans 14 v 6 seems to indicate that it is not obligatory (I hope I've spelt that right) to keep a sabbath day. We need to be careful not to introduce a "works" salvation into our theology.

My wife works alongside a 7th day adventist and her "salvation" appears to be part faith and part works.

I hope this is helpful,
    Kind regards,

RJH [​IMG]

3. http://www.religiouscounterfeits.org/biblestudies_online.htm

Hi, if you will go to the address above, which is on my website... then when you get there click on the Bible study called "Don't be fooled...The Sabbath--God's test of loyalty" which is study guide number 7, it might give you something to start with on this subject. Its a short study, yet interesting.

Also, if you click on the address above, you will find a link that says "Classic sermons by Joe Crews"... click there and when you get to the page, click on the 3 different short sermons called "Paganism in the church"... which are in audio.

Claudia

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Claudia Thompson ]

4. Michael D. Edwards

Claudia:

I read your article. However, I found that it lacked a great deal in terms of the context of the scriptures you were using for support. I will continue to the study the matter. HOwever, one text you do not mention is Romans 14 as it pertains to the weak and strong Christian the keeping of one day as more esteemed than another. Could you address that here on this thread in light of your article?

In Him
    Michael

5. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Claudia, please allow me to point out that this is a Baptist Only section of the Baptist Board. Please confine your comments to the forums open to all Christians and the Open forums.

Thank you.
    Thomas Cassidy
    Baptist Board Administrator

6. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Sabbath keeping was commanded for the Nation of Israel as a prophetic foreshadowing of the comming of the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ. Hebrews chapters 3 and 4 deal with those who have entered into their sabbath rest in Christ. Those who still keep the shadow are saying, in effect, they don't have the real thing. Once you have the real thing (sabbath rest in Christ) you no longer need the shadow/symbol, the seventh day.

7. Michael D. Edwards

Also,

I'm finding that most people promoting the Sabbath to be kept today say that it began in Genesis. However, there is no record of seventh day rest until Exodus 20. So, obviously, it WAS not something eternally observed from the time of creation.

Also, if we were to be keeping the identical sabbath as the Jews had been instructed to, then Jesus was in exteme violation as he time and time again challenged the tradition of the Sabbath.

Finally, in addition to the excellent reference to Hebrews, the idea of Romans 14 must be answered.

In Him
    Michael

8. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

I believe the Sabbath in Genesis refers to the day the Lord rested after creation. That originated the Sabbath, at least in the eyes of those who hold that view.

As far as Jesus being a Sabbath breaker, I believe that the Jews had added so many rules and regulations to the keeping of the Sabbath that were not originally intended by God.

9. Michael D. Edwards

Actually, I'll have to look into it a bit more w/regard to Jesus and Sabbath Law

Michael

10. I am sorry for posting my message on here about the Sabbath, I did not know it was for Baptists only to reply to.

Claudia

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Claudia Thompson ]

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Thomas Cassidy ]

11. Michael D. Edwards

Claudia:

Please! They simply divide it for several GOOD common sense reasons. One of which, is that some want to speak with other BAPTISTS about things and keep it that way. IF they were tryign to silence people from studying their bibles, they'd never put an open forum in the first place. I think you can relax a bit and just follow the guidelines of the forum.

Thanks
    MIchael

12. Michael D. Edwards

Claudia:

Would you please stop trying to pick a fight?
    Take your thoughts to the open forum and just follow the rules? If you don't like the rules, I don't see why you would object to just not come to this forum?

In Christ
    Michael

13. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

That's weird! When I posted my reply up above, none of the earlier replies showed up - otherwise I would have keep my mouth (keyboard?) shut.

Very strange . . . :confused: