1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salt?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Jul 14, 2005.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Perhaps someone on the board can help me with this.

I preached at a church on the other side of the county last night. Now we are in the mountains and this was a fairly traditional independent Baptist church, but not what I would call a deep mountain church. They had electric lights and flush toilets. Anyway, sitting on the communion table was a container of salt. A 3 lb round canister of Morton salt. My 13 year old son was with me and asked me why there was salt on the communion table.

Now thinking back to my youth I can remember there being a container of salt in the church, but for the life of me I can’t remember why. I don’t think it was just in case a dinner breaks out (although with some of these older style churches dinner on the grounds could break out pretty quick). There was some spiritual purpose behind the salt but I can’t remember what it was. Does anyone else remember this?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some folk like their matso salted. ;)

"...you are the salt of the earth."

Rob

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

After someone is batpized at our church we hand them a small, lit candle, and a little "communion cup" of salt; reminding them that Christ said that we are the light of the world and the salt of the earth.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

And we are iodized to prevent goiters.