1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sarah Palin and Earmarks

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 2, 2008.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You don't understand, this behavior is alright if you are a republican, just ask targus. :laugh:

2. targus

targus New Member

I followed you link and see that you left out this tidbit... "Obama requested nearly $1 billion in earmarks over three years for Illinois"

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Two things, Obama is not running as the great reformer and you left his part off the end, "a state with nearly 20 times the population of Alaska."

4. targus

targus New Member

Oh then "reform" and "change" must be different things.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

McCain and Palin are the ones who said they will shake up Washington. I don't know how they plan to do it since the political machine is fixed in place and protected by protocol and law. The only way to change Washington is for the voters to removed the waste sitting in chairs, give the president the line item veto and force a reform in attaching earmarks and presenting bills in plain language. However, you are putting your hope in Palin to fix a system that she is queen of. Fat chance of that.

The change Obama and Biden propose is for the average citizen. They promise to take the economy in a different direction by closing loopholes in the tax laws and giving 95% of the citizens a tax break. Creating new jobs in alternative energy and retooling the American machine. They plan to look into health care, Social Security and to put a responsible end to the war in Iraq.

The two parties are not talking about the same kind of change which most people have yet to notice and what worse, the type of change the Republican's are proposing is really out of their control. It is a short distance from the White House to the Senate but it might as well be a million miles if he plans to fix the Senate from the White House. McCain couldn't fix the Senate while in the Senate so he sure can't do it from the White House.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, let's all admit that McCain is an insider...and that he's cozy with the lobbyists.

But, in being intellectually honest, one must admit that Obama is as well.

Obama's proposals, and my problems...

Define "average." I guarantee you that the definition will change depending on the group being spoken to. This statement is too vague to be any good.

There are still lots of people out there that think rich folks don't pay taxes due to loopholes (there's far fewer than people think); and people keep forgetting: you tax job creators too much...and jobs won't be created (e.g., poor people don't give folks jobs). Furthermore...let's remember that corporations don't pay taxes...they pass them along.

I wish folks would get it...it is not the US Government's job to create jobs or "retool the machine." That's why businesses exist. Name one business--outside national security--that the government does a better job than private industry. There are several countries that found out the fallacies of allowing the government to control the job market (Soviet Union, anyone?)

I'll give you the Iraq one...whether we agree or not...at least that is one area the government has a right to involve themselves. However...let me understand this: the same government that attempts to run the train wreck known as Medicaid and gives us disasters such as Walter Reed hospital...we want them in charge of our healthcare?

I've been trying for five years to get my wife's voting information to allow her to vote in the same precinct as I do (we, of course, live in the same house). A government that can't fix that...I don't think I want them running my healthcare decisions.

Also...I'll cut a deal with the gov't: It's my responsibility, not theirs, to provide for myself when I'm old. I put away for retirement, and have insurance. If the government will keep my money poured down the rathole Ponzi scheme known as Social Security, and the leave me the heck alone, they can have it...and I'll take care of me later (that's otherwise known as the "American way.")

At least let me invest some of my SS money...so maybe it all won't be gone (unless Congress keeps stealing it, which they will).

Now...McCain is for big government, and I'm not fond of him. But Obama is for bigger government...and so all other things being equal (which they aren't), no way I vote for Obama.

For that matter...if it wasn't a wasted vote, I'd find another to vote for.... :(

Wait a minute....did I miss something? Did Obama "fix" the Senate while I was in the restroom?

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

True but to a smaller degree which I admit which is coincidental because he hasn't been on the Hill as long.

The 95% who make less than $250K

Then they need a better accountant because th advice they are getting is not good. The loopholes are there but you have to be "creative" to maximize the benefit.

Agreed, that is not normally their job. My anger with the government was incenting corporations to send American jobs overseas. Now that unemployment is record high and the economy is in a shamble I would like to see the government help fix the mess they created.

I think the first step in fixing health care is to reform Medicaid. Currently, illegal aliens take priority over our senior citizens who put money in all their working days.

You obviously feel comfortable and know how to invest. Most people know very little if anything about the stock market and are loosing bad in their 410K. To add, most of the options being made available in their 401K plans are not worth investing. We were sold a bill of good when Bush said, "you can manage your money better than the government". Now I don't believe in Social Security either. I would like to see pensions return.

yes, it was a great speech... :laugh: :thumbs:

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

So corporations and investment houses choose your retirement security? No thanks. People should be responsible for their own retirement funds. The fact that people choose not to be informed about IRA/401K options is their own fault. The fact that the govt stifles retirement security through Social inSecurity is also the fault of the voters.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Any smart person knows if you really want to play in the market you should have a stock broker or financial adviser. Some one who spends all day year after year with only the market on their minds. These people spend years in college trying to learn the economy and how to see it in the market. That is why the rich like Bush has so if someone expereinced in the market like Bush uses such a person it must be for good reason.

To suggest average Joe waiter in the diner or the construction worker who swings a hammer all day can master the market enough to invest all their hope of a retirement in this system is naive. This is what we were initially sold as a great idea and now that the smoke has cleared many are learning it was another empty sacks of promises.

If you work hard to make your company viable and strong why shouldn't it support you when you're reach your retirement years?

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Two things, though....

First....You still didn't refute my point: it isn't the government's job to take care of us in old age. It's our job. A bedrock American principle: It's my job to take care of me. Will there be times which I need help? Quite likely...but even then...government shouldn't be at the top of the list. And lack of planning on my part does not constitute a valid reason to let the government be my caretaker.

Second....if an employer wants to, as you put it, "support you when you reach your retirement years," then fine. But it shouldn't be required to by the government. These "unfunded mandates" that the gov't gets itself into are bankrupting many folks, because....

...we live longer now. A "retirement to death" pension costs much, much more when you go living on a pension for 5 years to living on one for 30.

...living simply costs more.

...people aren't as financially healthy. I can't tell you how many 50-65 year old folks I know who have huge credit card debt.

...pensions were much more feasible when folks worked for one company for thirty years. It simply doesn't work as well when you work for six employers during your working life...and no one for more then a decade. Financially it won't fly, and employers are less loyal to employees (and vice-versa).

...people are still thinking that Social Insecurity is in place to provide a living for them...and they don't prepare for life after work. That's irresponsible. And yes, I can make that harsh statement, because I've been preparing...even though we would be considered low-middle class (or even upper lower-class) in most neighborhoods.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

Alaska just jacked up their warm body bonus.

Can't find the story but Alaska just jacked up their warm body rebate by $1000 or so a person. I think the total was between $3K and $4K per person.