1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Annual Meeting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preachinjesus, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David, the Convention was running 40,000+ messengers a quarter of a century ago. In recent years, messengers registered has steadily hovered around 10,000 (it was 11,000+ last year). The last time attendance was this miniscule was in the early 1940s, during the throes of WWII.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Glad you're there. The published number I quoted was put out yesterday to the media by the leadership. I'm happy to raise that count by 400.

It is time for the SBC to begin, realistically considering changing their approach. They just announced they'll be back in Phoenix in 2017 (or something like that.) There is no reason to have a large, annual convention in a day and age when digital options can draw in more people through strategic simulcasts and reduced costs that can be funneled into missions.

3. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

The great difficulty that we're beginning to see in the Convention is a lack of replacement of leadership by younger generations and a lack of ability of churches to grow by means other than births and transfers.

The youngest generations are completely post-denominational. Right now the SBC isn't replacing them as they go away from the churches they were raised in. Evangelism efforts are becoming less effective and organic growth by salvation in churches is weakening.

I do have hope for my home convention. But it needs to become significantly smaller organizationally and push as much resources towards church starts, missions, and international outreach as possible. I do still have hope.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to agree with you here. Demise is a bit much. I do think it will lead to a continued gradual decline, however, unless the course is changed.

I do think the annual convention, however, is fading into irrelevance. The SBC's organizational structure and particularly the cooperative program will continue to exist, but the relevance of the annual meeting is already questionable. People are voting with their feet, and, IMO, we will continue to see low attendance conventions unless some major controversial issue emerges.

I think it is a combination of a few factors, both economic and theological. It is simply too expensive for many people to attend a glorified business meeting, especially when the importance of the issues decided is fairly minimal.

For example, when a president is up for re-election, generally it is simply a rubber-stamp vote for a second term. When nominations for trustee positions are announced, they are generally approved in a rubber-stamp vote. Resolutions are non-binding and therefore somewhat meaningless. Very rarely do the resolutions include anything remotely groundbreaking. Alcohol? I think most people realize that Baptist denominations are generally opposed to it. Homosexuality? It isn't a secret that the SBC is not a "welcoming and affirming" kind of denomination (thankfully).

During the days of the resurgence, voting actually mattered. If you didn't show up, your candidate might lose. Today there might be a little controversy over the GCR, but that is very minor in comparison to the old days.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

To much is made of these so called declines and used as a political tool to support their own views and agenda's.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So-called declines?" I think the statistical data is quite clear.

I'm not too worried about the decline, though. I think it is just part of the process of a changing culture.

7. mandym

mandym New Member

It has nothing to do with the culture. Stats are often a poor way to determine things. Their existence does not tell the reasons why only that they are. The reasons why are mostly speculation by those who want a negative view of the convention. Church rolls are being purged in a more honest way. This accounts for the biggest "decline". My traditional church has grown, and in fact I know of 4 traditional churches that have grown in the last couple years.

People give to much credence to "culture" and unfortunately it drives what goes on in our churches instead of spirit filled Christians and the gospel.

8. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

You are correct tha statistics don't provide insight. All statistical data needs proper interpretation.

However, the SBC stats concerning decline are very real and receiving very good analysis.

It is part of a changing American landscape. This much is certainly true. Certainly no one is saying that all is well with the SBC and evangelicalism. All this said I'm happy to support the CP even though I don't care much for the annual gathering.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Purging rolls has nothing to do with declining number of baptisms. Now, I'm not as alarmed by this because I think Baptists as a whole tend to overbaptize (especially young children).

I do wonder why you mentioned "traditional." Being aware of prevailing trends within the SBC doesn't hinge on worship style. The church where I am a member is traditional as well, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize some cultural and organizational trends.

When I mention culture, I don't mean contemporary vs. traditional. I am speaking of the decline of the biblical worldview in the public square. It is not as culturally acceptable to hold to a biblical worldview as it used to be in recent years. The advantage of this is that those who still hold to the biblical worldview are likely doing so out of conviction and not convenience. But I do believe that culture should drive what we do (in part)--not in accommodation to it but in response to it. The biblical worldview must be represented.

Not everything is a conspiracy against the convention. Church attendance across America is simply not what it used to be.

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder how they count people who were "Oh, I was baptized in a church when I was 12, but it didn't really mean anything and now I'm 30 and I want to be baptized again." ???

Is it up to the individual church whether or not to report this?

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Want to get the attendance up? Then let's get ready to ruuuuummmble! What the SBC needs is a good fight to get folks all bent out of shape, someone to stand up and say "we are fighting for the life and future of our convention". Maybe Paige could challenge Mohler to dual. Maybe if someone invited a Catholic or woman to be a keynote speaker. Perhaps, and I'm going out on a limb here, there could be a Civil War reenactment with the messengers wearing the blue or grey, depending on which state they were from. Of course it would be paintballs instead of real bullets, but we would allow them to be turned way up so that they left huge bruises for everyone to see.

Nothing gets folks out like a fight!

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure you dont have an active roll in managing this place....:smilewinkgrin::tonofbricks:

13. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. There needs to be a big 3-month buildup ala Hulk vs Andre the Giant in Wrestlemania II.

But for the SBC, it could be a motion to ban all calvinists or some such thing.
    And free fried food. :D

14. LaymansTermsPlease

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look what we missed:

Baptist Press: SBC attendance lowest since '44

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Another reason that the statistics are next to worthless.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since the SBC is the authorized denomination, this is most likely the "falling away" that has been prophesized ;)