1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC Bible Colleges

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear:

Not many know about SBC "Bible Colleges." There is a great article in the SBCLife. Use the hyperlink below, scroll down to the "Preparing the Called" and you will find it.

I think all who frequent the BB College/Seminaries threads will really enjoy it. Some may even be enlightened.

http://sbclife.org/

You might have to copy/paste it in your web browser. I am sorry but I know it will be worth the trouble and read.

sdg!

rd

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

As one who majored in religion/psych and obtained an M.div, I guess I'm ambivalent.

If you feel certain you're going to seminary, I think Bible college is usually not the best course of action. I've expounded on that elsewhere, I think...

However, if you feel relatively sure you're not going to go to seminary, then a BC for your undergrad is fine by me.

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    rbell,

I appreciate your insights.

I posted this for those who do not know much about the SBC educational system.

Thanks for the post.

sdg!

rd

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Thanks for the sight.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Won't you basically get a seminary education Lite from most, if not all of these Bible colleges? Especially those on seminary campuses?

I went to a conservative baptist college, majored in history and minored in Biblical studies...it gave me a good foundation for seminary and also gives me something to fall back on should God lead me into a bi-vo setting.
    This may not be good for everyone, but it worked for me.

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    bobby,

Thanks for looking at the web page. I was beginning to think that no one was interested.

Thank you also for the insights.

sdg!

rd

7. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I attended Southeastern's Bible college. It was fine by me. I will say that alot of the M.Div. courses were simular only with a heavier workload so on and so forth.
    I don't disagree with a fellow getting his undergrad from a secular school. Especially if he hasn't been called until after school.
    Yet I've met alot of fellows whose undergrad degree and the courses they took gave them a better handle on things than alot of M.Div. grads.who only had a seminary degree with a BA or BS from some secular college.
    I'm simply saying in my opinion I would rather go to a Bible college then maybe transfer to a seminary that was not apart of the same campus.
    I just dont' think some men get enough "Bible" under their belts by just going to seminary.
    Doesn't mean you can't. It is just my opinion.
    Either way is fine.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I know that times change, but back ib the 50's and 60's I had many friends who went to college and majored in Greek or Hebrew and then to Seminary, I didn't, I majored in history. They knew they were called to the ministry so they started early. They were pastors of small churches while in college and seminary. When I got to seminary I wished I had had taken either Greek or Hebrew, I wouldn't have had a lot of the trouble with it that I had.

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

double post

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I earned my BA in Biblical Studies and History of Ideas (double major) at Southeastern College at Wake Forest (shares campus with SEBTS). I can tell you, after having gone that program and now being in seminary, that the folks with undergrad degrees in Biblical Studies are miles ahead of folks who come to seminary with other Liberal Arts and science type degrees). However, there is even a greater degree of difference in those that have gone through a BA BS/Hist.Ideas degree program this is particularly evident in seminary level (MDiv etc.) Christian Philosophy, Christian Apologetics, and Systematic Theology classes. Generally speaking the guys that come to seminary with undergraduate degrees in economics, accounting, and engineering etc. just don't have the background so they need a lot more "ramp up" time so that they can get up to speed with what is going on in the classroom. Now I'm gonna go read the linked article and see what it has to say! ;)

[ February 11, 2006, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]