1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC to ban speaking in tongues?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ChurchBoy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

3. atestring

atestring New Member

dkh,
    can you prove your 98ad theory?

4. atestring

atestring New Member

dhh
    The Bible does not say that tongues is the least of gifts.
    there is no least of gifts.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The date of the writing of the Book of Revelation is generally accepted and undisputed as between 96 to 98 A.D. You may check any number of NT Survey books or commentaries for this information.
    DHK

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I don't think he's trying to "prove" 98 AD, so much as he's using Scripture to show that tongues were for a limited time and for a specific reason.

7. atestring

atestring New Member

Has he proved it?

8. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

BTW,
    Bump. Still waiting for an answer.

9. atestring

atestring New Member

Matt,
    I agree with you.
    It is not a baptist distinctive.
    If it were ,the Bible would override it.
    The fact is that Baptist are up in arms about the ban on the missionaries.
    How could The SBC enforce this ban anyway.
    Are they going to bug our prayer closets.
    If they do then they could get confessions that the National Enquirer would have a hayday with.
    BTW
    the resignation request that was called for on Wade Burleson has been removed.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This is a bit off-topic, but I usually read posts from the "Today's Active Topics" link. I just realized that a this thread about Baptists (SBC, but still Baptists) is on the "Other Christian Denominations" forum. I find this odd on a Baptist Board.

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Thats ok mcdirector~ [​IMG] The funny thing is I don't find it odd being posted here because to me its speaking about people who speak in tongues so then evidently they arn't concidered "one of the group" (ei Baptist). :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW,
    All I know is "what if" DHK is wrong and tongues is still for today and these SBC people have been inparted with this gift?

Paul said "in these last days" was he speaking of these last days all the way until Jesus returns or was it a 70 AD thing?

2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

Perilous times are still happening so I figure we are still in the last days.

Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's been proven by a preponderance of the Scriptural evidence by him (and others) that the Biblical gift of tongues is not for today.

It's also been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the gibberish being exhibited by so many people today is not Biblical tongues.

So, yes, he's proved it.

13. Pete

Pete New Member

It is not a baptist distinctive...

...Unless of course you think that the Bible is fair dinkum (For the foreigners "fair dinkum" is Aussie term meaning "true, genuine") in 1 Corinthians 14:27...In which case places that have everyone babbling on "spaghettipizzalasagna" at once with no interpreters (been there, seen that) are anything but following "The Bible is the final authority in all matters of belief and practice because the Bible is inspired by God and bears the absolute authority of God Himself."

Although he was probably speaking about the laughing thing and not tongues, Rodney Howard-Browne's comment seems to sum up most of today's tongues fans: "As long as something is happening it really does not matter if it is of God, of man or of the devil."

14. atestring

atestring New Member

It's been proven by a preponderance of the Scriptural evidence by him (and others) that the Biblical gift of tongues is not for today.

It's also been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the gibberish being exhibited by so many people today is not Biblical tongues.

So, yes, he's proved it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That's your opinion!
    \There is a preponderance of Scriptural evidence that says just the opposite.

Give Me a Greek word that is in the Biblical Text that is translated as gibberish.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's the point: There isn't one.

This gibberish that so many people today calls "tongues" is anti-biblical. There is nothing in the Bible to support a "private prayer language" that is gibberish.

Tongues were real languages. (The word "unknown" never appears with "tongues".) They were for a specific reason for a specific time, and as evidenced in Scripture, that time and reason don't currently exist. (They will exist again, however, in my opinon.)

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The OP was started by someone who was not a Baptist and thus could not post this topic in a Baptist forum, but because of its Charismatic link is still of interest to other denominations as well.
    DHK

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bump. Still waiting for an answer. </font>[/QUOTE]No. It is not a Baptist distinctive just as meeting on Sunday is not a Baptist distinctive. And just as there are Seventh-Day Baptists, there are also Charasmatic Baptists (unfortunately). Under the umbrella of the Baptist Distinctives falls a great number of wide and varied Baptists.
    Most are defined either by their statement of faith or their constitution.
    DHK

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"This gift" does not exist and cannot be proven to exist. If it did missionaries would not have to learn foreign languagues. That is what the gift of tongues (languages) is--speaking in a foreign language, and it was used as such. It was always used for the entire edification of the church. It was a foreign language that everyone could understand. The one who could not naturally understand it was the one speaking it. It was given to him supernaturally. That is why it was a supernatural gift. This far different than the hocus pocus gibberish that is spoken today.
    Are you talking of Peter or Paul? Can't answer your question without a direct reference.
    The fact that we have people speaking gibberish, faking Biblical tongues, calling it Biblical tongues when it isn't is indeed a sign that we are living in the last days. Yes these are perilous times. On the other hand please read the entire chapter of 2Tim.3 from which you just quoted this verse and tell me where it mentions the gift of tongues?? :rolleyes:
    Context is your problem with this verse.
    First Peter is speaking to Jews on the Day of Pentecost. Tongues is a sign to the Jews. It is always a sign to the Jews. It was a sign to them then. And since it was a sign to them then, we know that it is not a sign now, for they rejected the sign. Judgement came in 70 A.D., and the sign was removed.
    This was the fulfillment of the prophecy in Joel. The prophecy in Joel was two-fold. It is in two parts. It was partially fulfilled at Pentecost, and it will be fully fulfilled in the Millennial Kingdom. IF tongues will ever be spoken as a miraculous gift again it will be during the Millennial Kingdom when the rest of the prophecy of Joel will be fulfilled, but only then. For this time tongues has ceased. It ceased sometime between 70 A.D. and the end of the first century.
    DHK

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not to be rude or insulting but you have asked this question before and I can hardly think of a more ridiculous question to ask. It is an illogical question. For example:

Give me a Greek word that is in the Biblical text that is translated as "purgatory."
    Give me a Greek work that is in the Biblical text that is translated as "baptismal regeneration."
    Give me a Greek word that is in the Biblical text that is translated as "transubstantiation."

Gibberish, Purgatory, Baptismal regeneration, transubstantiation, are not in the Greek Texts because they are not in the Word of God. They are all heretical doctrines. They are man-made doctrines that people have added to the Bible. They aren't in the Bible, so why would you ask someone to find a heresy that isn't in the Bible in the first place?
    DHK

20. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bump. Still waiting for an answer. </font>[/QUOTE]No. It is not a Baptist distinctive just as meeting on Sunday is not a Baptist distinctive. And just as there are Seventh-Day Baptists, there are also Charasmatic Baptists (unfortunately). Under the umbrella of the Baptist Distinctives falls a great number of wide and varied Baptists.
    Most are defined either by their statement of faith or their constitution.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]So why has it become a hot potato for the SBC? It's not like it's even in F&M 2000...Sorry but I'm still confused as to why the Convention is making a ruling one way or another on the topic.