1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Science Vs. the bible

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with this point he makes
    However, often people don't take the bible this way. Such as in what manner can the 6 days of creation be taken? Scientifically? Not seemingly so. As a novel then? Still with insite into his creation? By which often this aspect of Packer's discource is often neglected
    Or the writing by the observer observance rather than a clear notion of God forcing pen in hand to write verbatum what God wants. Note that Packer shows this problem of understanding scripture
    which he agrees is insufficient but how many here approach the varied text with regard to everything to include interpreting science.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

He does not make your point. Don't take his words and place them where he does not. But then I do not have an agenda to use scripture to prop up evolution.

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not proping up evolution. That is only perception. I'm questioning the nature of inspiration as I've noted before. And with regard to inspiration he does make my point. Scriptures need not be a science manual but a library of differing types of books that tell the story of salvation at the different intervals which God has revealed himself. Not as a dictaphone but as a conductor of an Orchestra men participating within their capabilities but operating a larger work which God has conducted or inspired. Note Packer means literal by this definition
    However my argument heges on the natural indended sense is not what many here make of it. As science Journal like those in Kentucky who often work hard at portraying the bible in this manner.

#43 Thinkingstuff, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like the Rose of Sharon? You cannot impose your narrow, twentieth-century thoughts on the passages of Scripture. Your thoughts must be defined by them.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You mischaracterize those you disagree with. Whether that is intentional I do not know but it is not certain to me one way or the other. Just because we hold that where scripture speaks on science it is accurate and true does not mean that it is being used or even seen as a science journal. That rhetoric seems to be more of a political type tactic rather than honest discussion.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a huge assumption.

The Lord spoke unto Moses.

Didn't the moon have phases in ancient times? They knew the moon did not generate its own light.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are really thick.

Usage is what defines a word. Even in modern usage, the word light is not limited to the object that generates light. It can refer to a myriad of indirect lighting sources. You're imposing your arbitrary, narrow assumptions on the words of a better, more knowlegdeable man.

They wrote as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

You have no idea what they understood or didn't. Language is descriptive. Are you saying you never use the words moonlight or sunrise?

No it doesn't. Moses was educated in the wisdom of the Egyptians, but their superstitions did not find their way into the Penteteuch. God dictated the Creation account. He dictated the law. He showed Moses the pattern for the Tabernacle. Bezalel's skill was a gift of the Holy Ghost, not a natural talent.

There is account after account that raises men of God above the constraints of their environments and the superstitions of their cultures.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the benefit of the non-sceptic: http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i1/moses.asp

Beyond notThinking's arbitrary assumption concerning the physical features of an antedeluvian world, the Bible answers this question.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tsk Tsk. Insults are the lowest form of whit. Funny how you immediately engage in this form of contest. A habit with you I've noted. No one has insulted you I would appreciate it if you would engage in civil debate.

In the Hebrew language as well as the english language the usage indicates 2 distinct independent sources of light. Plain language. Period.

No doubt.
    Language is pretty discriptive and they've discriptively shown their understanding of the observation rather than how it operates beyond the knowledge of the observer. Of course they used those terms. However, its irrelevant to the said passage.
    Where do you think the term Seraphim come from? Based on the Egyptian goddess seraph that protected Pharoah's throne.
    God did dictate the law but not all of scripture and as far as Bezalel's skill who is to say natural talent isn't a gift of the Holy Spirit?
    Have you notice how God never gives technilogical or scientific information beyond the ability of writer of the text? Since, these documents were writen in the bronze age how could they have known about Nuclear Fussion. Yet God doesn't elaberate on that but only informs them up to their ability to understand. That also is telling.

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Where? then does the bible say it goes? It says down. Are you implying that the water went into the mantle? Also as far as Moses its telling that the article you post indicates the truth
    Other words suppositon without fact.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've noticed no such thing. This gigantic leap in logic hinges on two arbitrary assumptions : 1) That you know the state of the technology of the ancients, and 2) That you know what Moses or any of the other biblical authors knew.

You cannot possibly know these things.

Very little is actually known of the ancients, and recent discoveries are shattering long-held assumptions based on a Darwinian world view.

The fact of the matter is that the supposed scientific difficulties you've posed are really no difficulty to people who know what they're talking about. The more limited an individual's knowledge, the more difficulty he has with things he does not understand. When you add the individual's pride and idolatry into the mix, then his conclusion is that the difficulty isn't himself and his stunted mentality, but the supposed ignorance and superstition of the biblical authors.

Professing himself to be wise, he becomes a fool.

You should have titled this thread Scientists Vs. the Bible, because true science is not juxtaposed against the Scriptures.

#51 Aaron, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Please make use of the NET Bible online. They have very good footnotes plus if you click on the verse itself, you can see the breakdown of words. For "rabbit" they have "hare" and say this:
    Many words for animals in the Hebrew were unknown to translators, and so you have often find these terms translated differently. This should be basic knowledge for the Christian about the Bible.

The moon would have seemed to be a lesser light to anyone - and it still is, even though we know it reflects the sun. But for much of the time, it is a light. One can see on nights when the moon is full or almost full although it clearly is not as bright as the sun.

Interesting that God does not use the words for "sun" and "moon." That is because the sun and moon were being worshiped and God is revealing that He created them. It is a slap in the face to those worshiping the sun and moon.

That's also another reason to call the moon a "lesser light."

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Rob, see my comments above. This was a way to put down the sun and moon gods.

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I said before - it was well within Moses' graps to see that God made the Sun and the Moon on day 4 -- but he was not informed on HOW God made them - not given the manual on "how to make a sun" not given any info at all in fact on the subject of nuclear fusion.

God's intent was to convey the point that He is the creator of the Sun and the moon and that it was done on day four of creation week - and that it was done in a literal "Evening and morning - the 4th day".

Beyond that information - God did not give more details.

in Christ,

Bob

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually I think the comment I made above - is pretty clear on that point.

There is no "how it functions" in the text for making the Sun and the moon.

No mention at all of "nuclear fusion".

I have stated that point repeatedly.

Close

We can show a 10 year old a video depicting the 7 days of Creation week all happenning in seven literal days. The 10 year old can SEE the "sequence" (bronze age or not). The 10 year old can even "report" the sequence.

But they still do not know much at all about nuclear fusion for the sun.

I agree that man is relating what God showed -- as the 10 year old would do it - or a 90 year old would do it etc.

God seldom gets into the "HOW I did it" -- He usually sticks with "THAT I did it" and so when Joshua commands the Sun to stand still - the Bible tells us that this is what happened for an entire 24 hour period - but it does not tell us HOW God did it.

It does not say for example "God caused the great turtle that holds up the earth to move backwards so that the sun appeared to be still" as if the intent was to explain "HOW" God did something.

in Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But there is an interesting example in the case of Jacob -- who was using the superstition of his day to cut striped poles and have the sheep mating in view of striped rods to produce spotted and speckled offspring.

In a dream God shows him that it is God that is brining about the desired result and not the poles. (ok that part was easy) but then the text goes on to show that the trait for spotted or speckled or solid patterns was actually being determined by which males were mating.

This was a level of genetics that Moses did not have.

in Christ,

Bob

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We agree on some points here and it seems you've been influenced by Terry Pratchet. Which is ok in my book.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, you make a good point here.