1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture and Tradition

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mike, your point would work if Sacred Tradition and the traditions of men were one and the same thing. Plainly they are not, else why would St Paul refer to 'Traditions' with approval? (I Cor 11:2; II Thess 2:15)
    I think you're rather confused here. Where do you get the date 1565 from? Although there was growing practice of clerical celibacy in the Church from about the 4th century onwards (following, inter alia, St Paul's recommendations in I Cor 7 (esp vv1 & 32-34)), the discipline was not mandated until the 11th century, and then only in the Western Church.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The confusion is yours.
    The "tradition" mentioned in Scripture, especially in these verses, refers to nothing less than the very Word of God. Paul taught them the Word of God. That is not tradition but the truths of the Word of God.
    That is totally unlike the man-made tradition that is passed on from the RCC/Anglican/Orthodox churches today.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And on what basis do you claim the authority to judge that?