1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SDA or RCC a Greater Threat?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, May 6, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    gave to us what he Holy spirit meant when he had those passages written down as inspired texts, NOT what Ellen White sees them as saying!

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Give me the Bible AND the words IN the Bible my friends.

Those who claim that Biblical doctrine is "extra biblical" are not looking at the text closely.

Read 1Thess 5:19-20 "closely" instead of declaring it to be extra-biblical.

Read Isaiah 30:8-11 closely - rather than declaring it be extra Biblical.

Read 1Cor 14:1-2 closely - rather than declaring it to be extra-biblical.

Read Eph 4:4-13 closely - rather than declaring it to be extra-biblical.

Give me the Bible AND the Word IN the Bible.

And you wish to accept these Bible texts? Have you looked at them?

Or do you regard these as examples of more Bible texts that you do not consider to be applicable to you as guide for doctrine, faith and practice?

In what way do you accept them?

in Christ,

Bob

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    lets look , shakll we?
    19 yDo not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise zprophecies,

straight forward, paul was speaking to them to not despise the revelations God was giving to him to give to them...

a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the Lord:

10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

11 Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.

Apostate isreal , not wanting the true prophets from the lord to speak to them, nope, no ellen white there...

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual [gifts], but rather that ye may prophesy.

1Cr 14:2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1Cr 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men [to] edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

1Cr 14:4 He that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    tongues and prophesy in a local church setting, not needed nor done today!

And mhe gave the napostles, the prophets, the oevangelists, the pshepherds3 and teachers,4 12 qto equip the saints for the work of ministry, for rbuilding up sthe body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to tthe unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, uto mature manhood,5 to the measure of the stature of vthe fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, wtossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in xdeceitful schemes. 15 Rather, yspeaking the truth in love, we are to zgrow up in every way into him who is athe head, into Christ, 16 bfrom whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, cwhen each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

No more modern Apostles/prophets today in the Church, as we have the "more/sure' word of the Lord in his bible given to us!

NOTHING here seems to be supporting your case!

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At not point in 1Thess 5:19-20 does Paul say "quench the Spirit and despise the prophetic words given to Peter, and James and those I mentioned in 1Cor 14 -- just don't despise it when it comes from me" -

And I think we both know that.

indeed. And Isaiah is not saying "ignore everyone but me".

He is flatly condemning the general doctrine that is of the form

"a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the Lord:

10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things,"

Again - nothing there about "Be sure to despise spiritual gifts especially prophecy"

And here again I think we both see that clearly.

Indeed and nothing in Paul's teaching that is of form "everyone else ignore this. This teaching of scripture is not for you".

And again - I think we both see that point.

Modern prophets allowed in every age along with evangelists, pastors and teachers in that text

"the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers,
    12 to equip the saints"

UNTIL the 2nd coming.

The only reason you do not have Apostles is that by definition they had to have seen Jesus in the first century and had to have been specifically appointed to that ministry in the first century.

Nothing at all similar to that for prophets in all of scripture, not in any age in all of scripture.

And again - I think we both know that.

In essence you are opposing me in areas where we both agree on the basic points in scripture.

I find that odd.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth is that the bible gave guidelines to how the HS operated duruing the transistion era in Acts fior the Apsotolic Church, but he does that processs in the Church NO MORE!

NO mor eprophets/Apostles with forthgiving/ongoing revelations!

ALL Ellen White could be able to claim is that this is what she thought the Bible taught.period, Not that God revealed and spoke it to her!

And i disagree with her Interpratations!

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When Catholics argue that sola scriptura is not a model to be followed in testing all tradition and doctrine - I point to Acts 17:11 "They studied the scriptures DAILY to SEE IF those things spoken to them by Paul were so".

Now "imagine if you will" that the Catholics had your "that Bible is not for me" solution up their sleeve every time the Bible cut across their bias/preference??

What religion could NOT thrive in your "That NT text does not apply any more" model??

In the article on church growth recently posted as a thread on this area of BaptistBoard - it was found that while the Catholic church is growing by 1.49% in the US - the Southern Baptist church is shrinking.

Could it be that this "that NT Bible does not apply to me if I don't like it" solution - is not holding up in the US as well as it was first imagined to work?

I keep arguing for more Biblically solid - compelling presentations among our Baptist friends that would be compelling to the unbiased objective reader.

I think that doing that - can only help the Baptist's thrive in the U.S. instead of experiencing a negative growth rate.

in Christ,

Bob