1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SDA's and Ellen G Whites writings...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by D28guy, Mar 16, 2008.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I'm just curious how the SDA's view her writings.

Do you consider them to be taken as if they were the word of God, as the Mormons do their extra biblical writings? Or do you view them in the same way we view good commentaries....worthy of *consideration*, but not inerrant like the scriptures are, and not authoritative.

Never heard this brought up before. Just curious.

God bless,

Mike

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Never mind! :wavey:

I just found a thread down below on this board adressing this topic, so I'll go there.

Talk about a co-incidence. :thumbs:

Mike

3. targus

targus New Member

Don't expect a direct answer. SDA's have an "evolving" view of Ellen White and her writings as well as the Trinity, and so on. When it suits the moment a different "opinion" is offered either from the present stage of the "evolution" of SDA thought or one from the past. It is important to the SDA denomination to attempt to create an image as a traditional Christian church.

But here is why Ellen White is so important to them. It is wrapped up in the Book of Revelation for them.

The SDA denomination emphasizes Revelation 12:17 which they say provides two identifying marks of the true remnant church in the last days:

1. They keep the "Commandments of God", especially the fourth commandment to keep the Sabbath holy (ie Saturday)

2. They have the "faith of Jesus" which Revelation 19:10 identifies as the "Spirit of Prophecy".

For SDA's the Spirit of Prophecy was "manifested in the life and writings of Ellen G. White".

Therefore, the SDA Church is the only church that has the identifying marks of the remnant church of Revelation.

In other words - No prophet Ellen equals no SDA as the "remnant church of Revelation".

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We consider that she had the gift of prophecy as defined in 1Cor 12 and in Numbers 12.

This means "divine revelation".

In Numbers 12 God says "If there is a prophet among you I WILL make myself known to him in a dream or a vision".

Deborah was both a prophetess and a judge in Israel.

But none of her prophecies form scripture for us - there is no "book of deborah" from which to get doctrine.

The same is true of a number of NT prophets -- Philips 4 daughters for example in the NT.

Ellen White is considered to be someone that is "inspired" to the level of "gift of prophecy" -- direct visions and dreams from God -- but not a "doctrinal prophet" - not someone who reveals/discovers doctrine for the church.

If a commentary/author etc says "God told me in a vision that Christ was not the son of God" then we can see clearly in the Bible that this is wrong - and though it is not correct doctrine - that commentary author is then "a false prophet" for claiming such a message as coming from God.

But if you go to Romans 14 or Galations 4 or Colossians 2 you will find a number of commentaries that differ with each other on what is being said there. None of them are "false prophets" even though at best only one of their solutions can be correct and all others are in error.

They are not "false prophets" because none claim that their view is a result of a direct message vision/dream/revelation from God.

Let me know if this is not "direct enough" Mike.

in Christ,

Bob

5. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

BobRyan, There is no true prophet on earth today. John, the Beloved was the last person received revelation from Jesus Christ. Then, after that, there is no prophet. I am not interesting to listen Ellen White, Joseph Smith, and many others who claim that they prophets. Bible warns us there are many false prophets out there. These are teaching much conflict with God's Word. That why I avoid them. I rather reading Bible than listening to any prophets. In ChristRev. 22:20 -Amen!

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You make a good point that the issue with Ellen White starts first and foremost with our stand on 1Cor 12 and the validity of spiritual gifts today.

If they are not even valid - then there is no way Ellen White could have one. (In the case of Targue - he already admitted that he believes they ARE valid)

If the 1Cor 14:1 command to desire earnestly spiritual gifts but "especially that you may prophesy" is no longer valid - then there is no way we should be looking for someo (Ellen White or not) to have such a gift. (Hint: in the case of Targus - he already admitted that even the gift of prophecy is a valid gift for today).

But DT has stated (and rightly so) that if we do not allow spiritual gifts at all - or at least have the gift of prophecy cease with John the baptizer then the entire discussion regarding Ellen White is at an end. So also doctrine 22 of SDAs endorsing the spritual gifts of 1Cor 12.

In fact if visions and dreams from God ceased with John the baptizer - then we have a huge problem with all NT writers and John the revelator more than any other.

in Christ,

Bob

#6 BobRyan, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008