1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SDA's slaughter their own?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Aug 25, 2003.

1. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Bob,

Thank you for the sources. A couple of things to point out:

1) The Fourth Lateran Council document says that heretics, after it has been completely founded to in fact BE heretics, are to be turned over to the state. The Church herself does not punish them.

2) The word "extermination" means getting completely rid of. What I would really like is the Latin on this canon so that I could make sure it's an accurate translation. Second, to get completely rid of a group of heretics does not mean that they have to be killed at all. Exile was a common practice then. These, I am assuming, were talking about Catholic states, so exile seems like a means to achieve this.

3) I am not defening any killing that was done. I'm also not saying that the church leaders were not aware of whatever civil punishments would take place once turned over.

4) Overall, I see the Church endorsing the secual authorities, which were occupied by Catholic rulers, to end the heresy by civil punishments that were at the time legal. And we all know that the these means were quite brutal during this time in history. This does not mean that the Church endorses "killing and torture." Why? It's quite simple. If this is an infallible statement, it must apply to ALL Christians at all times. The Church now firmly teaches against the death penalty, and teaches freedom of religion, and these are NOT debatable. Thus, calling "doctrinally" for "torture and murder" is not what was occuring here.

The Church was negligent and turned a blind eye to what the civil authorities were doing, and let them continue in that practice. That is certainly the sin of its leaders, and I don't deny that at all. However, there is no "doctrine" that "endorses" "killing and torture."

2. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Also,

You mention anti-semetic statements in another council. Why did you not quote them? You quoted from Lateran, so why leave out the anti-semetic quotes? Just wondering, as it seems like you would show them, since that's what I asked for.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Apparently some of these statements got "missed" from GraceSaves response as he seems to be asking for the information in this post --

If the quote below is too long to read- just skim the bold type.

I "wait" for the cogent objective thoughtful RC reply to those sections in "bold" type.

Specifically Papal authorship of torture, extermination, cruelty and efforts to cover documents recording that in "secrecy"... etc etc

In Christ,

Bob

4. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Bob, are you for real?

You are trying to pass a newspaper article off as some sort of Catholic document?

For all I know the writer is a SDA.

He does write like you, mixing "quotes" with editorial in a manner that makes it difficult to tell where the "quote" leaves off and the editorial starts.

Much of your bolded text is that of the writer, not his source.

Are you able to differentiate?