1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seeking Personal advice

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 1, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So here is the conclusion of what I have gathered here.

I will stay with my company for at least a year and wait to see if I get an extra 8-10 hours a week in OT Pay. In the meantime I will be looking at better paying positions on the job boards within my field appropriate for my situation. And I will also look at PT jobs in a field or position I may want to get into with better pay. I will also strive not to worry about this debt but give it to God. I never expected to learn much from a Wesleyan, but this time the Wesleyan hit the nail on the head. I need to submit this area to God and practice what I preach on the Lordship of Christ.

I just took a screen capture on my Mac and am saving this text to my desktop to remember.

#41 evangelist6589, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I suggest that if your situation is dire, you take on any part time job that you can while looking for something better? After all, if needed then needs must.

I am not sure that I understand your Wesleyan reference, but I hope that it is not aimed at me.:laugh:

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After all bills per month assuming no emergencies or extra costs I would have an extra $400 and I am trying to build a larger savings account. Once I have that I may go hit the books but I need to study for a job with good pay which required good market research and NOT TO LISTEN to any person at a college whom often lie and exaggerate a career field to get students.

ITT Tech tried to sell me into an extra 20K in student loans for a job that would pay $15/hr and I discovered this after I did some research. Liars!!!

#43 evangelist6589, Jul 2, 2014
  4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spent 13 years pastoring in the UMC and one more as an interim in the Church of the Nazarene. I'm tainted. :thumbs:

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what it is worth, I would focus on increasing income first rather than increasing your education. If money is the problem now, that is what you need now. Look for extra work now.

The schools will still be eager to take your money later.

#45 Rolfe, Jul 2, 2014
  6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah...

I am not familiar with many of the common terms used for differing beliefs and opinions.:)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Call him Bishop Durant...lol:laugh:

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

If you owe "more than I can pay off in this lifetime," seventy hours a week is the best balance you can hope for. You're making excuses, John, for not doing the next right thing. As long as you do that, and manage to justify it to yourself in your own mind, nothing you do is going to be blessed in any eternal fashion. Perhaps you should ask yourself and God if this aspect of your life has anything to do with the fact you're frustrated in ministry also.

Please do not post this problem again. The same answers come every time, and you ignore them. That's my last word to you on this subject.

#48 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jul 2, 2014
  9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was hurt last August. Before one of my surgeries, I received a sedative of some type. Mrs. R said that I performed better comedy than prime time TV. Apparently (I remember it only slightly), a Catholic priest stopped in to offer spiritual comfort. I'm told that I kept jokingly calling him "Padre", like Col. Potter, until I drove the poor guy away.:laugh:

Hope that he wasn't offended.

#49 Rolfe, Jul 2, 2014
  10. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm only offended if I don't get called for supper but we digress....

Back to working two jobs. Once you've exhausted all the reasons you can't start working on a list of why you can. You're in debt up to your eyeballs You are not the first and won't be the last. Eventually this debt will stifle your testimony and render your street ministry impotent.

"And if you have not been faithful in the use of that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own?
    Luke 16:12 NASB

11. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I work in inside sales/customer service/tech support. Do I love it? NO. Has it allowed me to house, feed and clothe a family? YES. I'm lucky in that I'm in a specialized field...but coming in early and staying late has paid off. I'm fairly compensated and I'm usually in "the inner circle" no matter who buys us out. Our new CEO came up to my department's office and said "After evrrything I've heard about u guys, I wanted to see if u actually EXISTED."

MY DEPARTMENT WORKS HARD and we work smart and we watch out for the company. Do I work a lot of hours and get yammered at by my wife? YES. But we have a house, insurance, food and savings.

I said all that to say this.... to get ahead, you have to not only work long hard hours, but you gotta show initiative, responsibility and leadership! There is a DEARTH of people who care and who take pride in their work and companies are looking for people who can take responsibilities. THAT is how you get ahead at work...or be the boss's son-in-law.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I am not exactly attuned to your advice.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If the opportunity to work OT in my company existed I would do it!!! However my position is a 40 hour a week one and they keep it that way. But things may change once we move.

But last one I put in 50 hours a week

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What TND said was sound. And that's the name of that tune.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A word to the wise is sufficent

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What if your wife recently went through a surgery and needs a husband around most nights?????

Ever bothered to think of that which is what I clearly said my OP????

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went thus that almost 2 years ago.

Contacted 3 local pastors - each one sent a lady to be with Mrs. Salty.

Result : Mrs Salty has 3 new lifelong friends.

THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO DO - FIND A WAY

OTHERS - FIND AN EXCUSE

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you have put yourself in a very difficult spot and there is no answer for except to keep trying even though you will likely default on your debts. Your extreme situation requires an extreme response. There is just no way around it.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will keep at it.

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Degrees nowadays more or less only prove that you can learn. You can get good jobs with no degree, and crappy jobs with a great degree. It's all in how you use it and market yourself. Approaching a college degree as if it is job training will always produce poor results.