1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Selective Educational Requirement for College Graduation

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn't meant as a joke - unfortunately it is true (of course with Jackson, it possibly was a medical condition)
    But those are the very rare exceptions.

Salty

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I see it as giving special attention, maybe even tough love, but not in the pessimistic light of discrimination. I see it as putting them at the front of the bus instead.

To consider it beyond helping and only harassment really must come from an attitude that “I’m fine just how I am!” I don’t believe most in a condition of obesity really believe that in their heart but are hyper sensitive to criticism and often claim to be the victim or feel that way and use this as a defense, which unfortunately may stem from hearing cruel and thoughtless remarks to begin with. But from the perspective of one, as myself, whose heart goes out to wanting to help improve the quality of life for those struggling with obesity, I find that defense more in tune with avoidance of the problem and not wanting to face it than the truth, poor reasoning not to accept help that is being offered. It (pride) or hard feelings doesn’t or shouldn’t matter as much as facing this real problem.

One could compare this attitude to a person addicted to drugs who is hurting themselves and needs help but won’t face the issues on their own. When an action is forced on these people it is called “tough love”. In light of the growing problem of obesity in this country maybe we need more action like what this college has put in motion.

One might say, “I don’t need a big brother!” I say, “Tough, I love you anyway and want what is best for you!” I’m just as tired of hearing these excusing from people I love and see hurting themselves as they are of people like me that won’t let it go. Going into the physical therapy/personal training field I hope to develop productive ways of approaching these type issues.