1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Biden: Turning the Corner in Iraq

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by KenH, Nov 22, 2005.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You can judge by comparing what comes out of their mouths by the actual state of reality."

Indeed you can. And what comes out of their mouths bears no relation to reality.

Iraq was such a serious threat to the security of the United States that an immediate war was required, we were told.

It wasn't. Everyone agreed Saddam needed to go; the question was how to remove him. Bush-Cheney-Perle-Wolfowitz-Rumsfeld said the best way, the only way, was to pack up virtually the entire ground warfare capability of the United States and ship it off to Iraq. As a result, the Army and Marine Corps (especially the reserves) are overburdened and overstrained.

Iraq was supposed to have presented an imminent danger, even though there were only the most tenuous links between Saddam and terrorists who wanted to hurt this nation.

The fabled WMDs haven't turned up. However, North Korea and Iran — other foci of the axis of evil — were well known to have nuclear capabilities or be within spitting distance of it.

Rumsfeld brushed aside the chairman of the joint chiefs because the chairman said a successful occupation would take far more troops than those allotted.

Shinseki was right; Rumsfeld was wrong. The administration, insisting on its own reality, brushed aside advice it didn't agree with.

Americans would be welcomed as liberators.

It turns out only grudgingly in many places, and the welcome is wearing thin.

We would be fighting terror overseas, not at home.

Well, we're certainly fighting terrorism overseas, but partly because the invasion created such an unstable situation in Iraq as to breed terrorism.

"You started with a false premise -- that Bush isn't a thinker."

No, my original premise — stated long before the war began — was this was not a necessary war and would do long-term damage to the United States and, in particular, the U.S. Army.

The actions of Bush et al. must be explained some way. The choices obvious to me were that their thinking was flawed or that they are evil. I chose the former.

We all interpret events through our own lenses. I admit that. Bush et al. don't.

"Any evidence to the contrary is dismissed by you automatically, thus shielding yourself from contrary information. It is an easy way for you to be dogmatic, but much harder for you to be right."

I am sure you are sincere about this, but I consider this a perfect description of the Bush administration.

Only time will tell which, if any, side is right about the involvement in Iraq. I see no reason, at this point, to change my original position.

"But in the end, you are correct in your assertions about erroneous premises and conclusions, and that assertion truly describes your position."

Since you did not enquire about my original premises and conclusions and I did not state them, it appears at that point you knew nothing about my position — except that it was opposed to the Bush war. And thus your last comment might be better directed toward someone else.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

First, it is helpful to use the quote function properly.

Sure it does. You simply prefer a different reality than the one that exists ... :D ... Actually, as you well know (even though you won't let on), there is good reasoning behind their position even if you disagree with it. Teh truth is that they know much more than you do, and much more than virtually all of Congress. That is a fact you will just have to accept.

I don't recall that being said, and it certainly wasn't the emphasis. But history is easy to revise when you don't like what it actually was, and you are certainly revising history. The fact is that everyone, including teh loudmouths complaining dems, agreed that Saddam was a danger. Bush's point was that a 9/11 type event would be a horrible way to find out.

Again, revisionist. The links between Saddam and terrorism were well known, and still are. It is also well known that Saddam was the enemy of this country, was in repeated violation of hte UN agreement, and was daily shooting at our soldiers (an act of war).

Neither of which were in 12 year violation of UN sanctions. Don't leave out the parts that refute you.

There was widespread disagreement about this.

All administrations do this. It is the way decisions are made. If they had agreed with teh advice, they would have taken it. But all decisions are made on a give and take of information.

Your original premise from page one was, "I see it every time the president of the secretary of defense speaks." The "it" you referred to was my comment that " it is rare to see someone with so little knowledge and thought speak so much." Don't try to change the subject.

However, this may not have been a necessary war in hindsight, but there was no way to know that at the time. History showed repeated violations by Saddam and it was time for the world to have the character to stand up and say so.

The US and the army are not worse off. That is absurd.

When you present two bad options, it is always helpful to take the lesser one. But the fact that these are the only two that were "obvious" to you shows that you are not fully aware of the magnitude of the situation. There were many more choices.

Really?? I have never seen them deny that. Unlike others, Bush and this administration have stood up and owned their choices. They have made it clear why they did what they did.

So? What makes your consideration right? What evidence are you prepared to accept that contradicts your position?

You are right about this. My suspicion is that history will look more kindly on Bush than the present does. I suspect that within 20 years there will be burgeoning democracies in the middle east and within 50 the Middle East will be entirely different. Remember 20 years ago when the Iron Curtain began to fall. I think we will see a similar thing in teh Middle East, hastened by the war. Without the war, it may never have happened. But today, people live in freedom, and that's good.

That's fine.

You stated your original premise and conclusion -- that Bush et al weren't thinking.

It's been great so far. Have done nothing but read a little and watch the football game. Hope yours was good.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good. The cornbread dressing was exceptional this year.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's pretty likely that he will run for president in 2008. He would be a much better nominee, IMO, than Senator Clinton would be. He might actually have a chance to win in November 2008.

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Does anyone remember when the U.N. Security Counsel wanted to have full access to check for weapons of mass destruction?

Until we got where we wanted to check them, they were already shipped into Syria and hidden underground.

This has been documented by the authorities closest to our government.

They were there; now they are not there!

6. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I believe this is pure conjecture on your part. Please show proof that these supposedly WMD's are now buried in Syria.

7. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I agree whole heartedly with this Joseph, except that Biden is not a nut job, but a cold calculating, devious Democrat, dedicated to the overthrow of the Bush administration, or any, (ANY) other thing necessary for him to have a shot at the presidential elections in 2008.