1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Separation of School and State

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree, and that's typically what happens.
    </font>[/QUOTE]In a free society, parents and individuals are responsible for education. Those who chose poorly will be an immediate deterent to others. Those who choose well will be emulated.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

They are not entitled. It is legitimate for government to tax the economy in order to ensure law enforcement, protection of rights, national defense, etc.

It doesn't entitle someone who is too lazy or immoral to work for themselves to food stamps or free housing.

3. OCC

OCC Guest

Nope.

They are not entitled. It is legitimate for government to tax the economy in order to ensure law enforcement, protection of rights, national defense, etc.

It doesn't entitle someone who is too lazy or immoral to work for themselves to food stamps or free housing.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That is the context I was talking about with taxes. Therefore, they can take it.

As for the "someone who is too lazy or immoral" comment...that doesn't even deserve a response....

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading some of the early public school charters answers this question. Some specifically cited universal ability to read the Bible as a reason.

As with the Great Society, liberals saw something that was good but imperfect and decided that government involvement would complete the picture. And just as the Great Society has made many of the problems it set out to solve worse, the public school system cannot be proven to be a better option than what we would have had if all schools had remained private... which practically all were when de Toqueville toured America in the 1830's and was amazed by the level of literacy.

I think it was Jefferson that rightly feared that an education system controlled by politicians would seek to indoctrinate children and society into bondage.

The fact that few if any here knew that separation of state and school would have virtually synonomous with separtion of state and church is indication that the paradigm has been shifted.

5. OCC

OCC Guest

Some people are so scared of the government...and people like myself and others on here are labelled "conspiracy theorists"?

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is up to you. Of course the NT tells us that if a man won't work he shouldn't eat. The Bible calls slothfulness, fornication, non-sobriety, violence, unfaithfulness, poor stewardship, and the like SIN. You apparently want the government in the name of "Christian values" to subsidize such behavior.

7. OCC

OCC Guest

And you apparently don't have a heart for the poor and disabled.

What about those people? What about the people who can't get a job because they have no skills and it costs thousands of dollars to go anywhere to get any skills, and not be assured of a job when they get those skills? What about those people? Jesus cares for them. Apparently, you don't. BTW...that would be SIN as well!

8. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I have, in times past, sat in various school meetings. Parents often try to make some points to a bunch of administrators that just "know better" or tell them how it has to be because the "state" or "federal" government requires it. I've also had some one-on-one meetings with some of the administrators. I haven't been to a school board meeting in a long time. The word I get from others in my family is that the process is now more heavily influenced by government lawyers who get in the way of common sense discussion and decisions. I'm sure there are many "community minded" people in the business of public education. Several close relatives immediately come to mind! However, I think they'd do a whole lot better if the schools were privately controlled rather than government controlled.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Taxation is not a concept of being "entitled to the wealth of others". Taxation is a concept of each person paying a share of assessment for the support of government.

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

We don't! We express our ideas about things we believe should be changed for the better.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I agree, and that's typically what happens. ACSI and WASC are the two accrediting agencies that local schools most often use for accreditation. BTW, private schools can also use the same accreditors that the secular schools (public and private) use, such as WASC.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That's a very good point! However, as I understand it, local school districts must still meet certain state and federal requirements to obtain funding. The government controls the curricula and decides what can and what can not be taught.

12. OCC

OCC Guest

Dragoon...having a little fun, was I. But it's true...there are some who complain repeatedly about the government and having guns to protect self against them and I wonder...why all the conspiracy theories?

Johnv: "Taxation is not a concept of being "entitled to the wealth of others". Taxation is a concept of each person paying a share of assessment for the support of government." That is exactly what I meant.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We don't! We express our ideas about things we believe should be changed for the better. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm reminded of a joke:

Husband: Honey, why must you always neg?
    Wife: I don't nag, I just give helpful suggestions.

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Smarter, no. Do they tend to be better educated? Yes.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The most important factor is certain moral values or ethics.

Those who see themselves as legitimately entitled to the wealth of others will not emphasize that their children prepare to provide for themselves.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Exactly! Some people truly believe they're "entitled" to the wealth of others so long as that wealth is greater but not lessor than their own.

15. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I agree, and that's typically what happens.
    </font>[/QUOTE]In a free society, parents and individuals are responsible for education. Those who chose poorly will be an immediate deterent to others. Those who choose well will be emulated.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Now you're getting to real heart of the matter. Parents - not the government - are responsible for teaching their young children. When parents don't have tight control or choices over the source of their children's education their authority has been usurped by others. That's exactly what government schools do and it's not limited to the simple issue of evolution verses creation but includes the full range of beliefs. Government schools are increasing their sphere of influence over the beliefs of their students many of which are in direct conflict with those of the parents.

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Reading some of the early public school charters answers this question. Some specifically cited universal ability to read the Bible as a reason.

As with the Great Society, liberals saw something that was good but imperfect and decided that government involvement would complete the picture. And just as the Great Society has made many of the problems it set out to solve worse, the public school system cannot be proven to be a better option than what we would have had if all schools had remained private... which practically all were when de Toqueville toured America in the 1830's and was amazed by the level of literacy.

I think it was Jefferson that rightly feared that an education system controlled by politicians would seek to indoctrinate children and society into bondage.

The fact that few if any here knew that separation of state and school would have virtually synonomous with separtion of state and church is indication that the paradigm has been shifted.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Excellent! The paradigm shift is, at least in part, the product of government schools. The danger now is that liberals view these schools as the perfect venue in which to impart and further their own viewpoints under the mandate of government authority. We will live to see more teaching of "beliefs" in our government schools.

17. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Some people value their liberty, realize how it can be lost, and desire to guard against it. To be wary of the government is not to disrespect its validity but rather to keep it within its bounds.

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John did you respond to my post?

19. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Are you kidding? I know several parents who send their kids to the most expensive schools because it's a status symbol. Sad but true, and it's more common than we want to admit. </font>[/QUOTE]Some people do everything for status so I'm sure it's possible sending their children to an "elite" school is yet another opportunity!

I don't have statistics to prove it, but I just have to believe that people typically send their children to private school because they want them to get an education of better quality than they can get from the public school. They visit the government school, take a look around, talk to others, and conclude they must do something better for their children.

Not everyone that makes this choice is necessarily rich either! Some people struggle to make it happen because they consider it that important.

Others home school their children for the same reasons and because they want to be sure their children are taught the beliefs they hold.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I am one of those parents. Money was tighter when I was younger, so my children were in public school until 4th grade, and then I put them in a local Christian school until 8th grade. They then went to public high school (private high schools were too cost prohibitive). I might add that it was an RCA school, not a Baptist school, because the RCA school had a better quality of education overall.

Of course, now I'm dealing with college tuition. And to think I was actually complaining about money in gradeschool. Eeeeek!!!!