1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Serious Question for Translational Perfectionist

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jan 28, 2008.

1. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Often there is not as much difference as it may first appear in English. I think mostly what we are witnessing is the difference between the MT and the LXX. However, there are also some rare ancient language words that are difficult to define. In addition, there are some subjective choices made in English even when Hebrew and Greek words with similar meanings are rendered. The KJV translators perhaps could have justified further the synchronizing of the words in these two passages.
    The KJV translation of Isaiah 61:1,2a is displayed line-by-line above Luke 4:18,19 (and Brenton's 1851 English LXX beneath them) --
    The Spirit of the Lord God upon me;
    The Spirit of the Lord upon me,
    Apparent differences: 1
    The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
    Hebrew Yehovih ("God" Strongs' #3069): used primarily in the combination 'Lord Jehovah'
    Greek: no parallel word follows kyrios (Strong's #2962) a title used for God
    Comment: possibly included, unnecessary, or even redundent
    Significant differences in meaning: 0

because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek;
    because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor;
    Apparent differences: 3
    because he has anointed me; he has sent me* to preach glad tidings to the poor,
    Hebrew Yehovih ("Lord" Strongs' #3069): used primarily in the combination 'Lord Jehovah'
    Greek: no actual parallel word; masculine pronoun implied and is supplied by translators
    Comment: essentially synonymous

Hebrew basar ("good tidings" Strong's #1319): to bear news, bear tidings, publish, preach, show forth
    Greek euaggelizo ("gospel"Strong's #2097): to bring good news, to announce glad tidings
    Comment: synonymous

Hebrew 'anav ("meek" Strong's #6035): poor, humble, afflicted, meek
    Greek ptochos ("poor" Strong's #4434): educed to beggary, begging, asking alms
    Comment: synonymous

he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives,
    he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives,
    Apparent differences: 3
    *{he has sent me} to heal the broken in heart, to proclaim liberty to the captives,
    Hebrew chabash ("bind up" Strong's #2280): to tie, bind, bind on, bind up, saddle, restrain, bandage, govern
    Greek iaomai ("heal" Strong's #2390): to cure, heal
    Comment: mending by putting pieces back together (setting a broken bone), immobilization (such as a cast or sling)

Hebrew qara' ("proclaim" Strong's #7121): to call, call out, recite, read, cry out, proclaim
    Greek kerysso ("preach" Strong's #2784): to be a herald, to officiate as a herald

Hebrew derowr ("liberty" Strong's #1865): a flowing, free run, liberty
    Greek aphesis ("deliverance" Strong's #859): release from bondage or imprisonment
    Significant differences in meaning: 0 ?

and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound;
    and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
    Apparent differences: 4
    and recovery of sight to the blind;
    Hebrew peqach-qowach ("opening of the prison" Strong's #6495): opening {of eyes}, wide
    Greek anablepsis ("recovery of sight" Strong's #309): recovery of sight
    Comment: essentially synonymous; these are the only occurrences of these words in scripture

Hebrew: no parallel word
    Greek typhlos ("blind" Strong's #5185): blind, mentally blind
    Comment: additional word not supported by MT

Hebrew: no parallel words
    Greek aphesis ("liberty" Strong's #859): release from bondage or imprisonment
    Comment: additional phrase not supported by either MT or LXX

Hebrew 'acar ("bound" Strong's #631): to tie, bind, imprison
    Greek thrauo ("bruised" Strong's #2352): to break, break in pieces, shatter, smite through
    Comment: both words could indicate oppression; the only occurrence of the Greek word in NT
    Significant differences in meaning: 3

To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
    To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
    Apparent differences: 1
    to declare the acceptable year of the Lord,
    Hebrew qara' (Strong's #7121): to call, call out, recite, read, cry out, proclaim
    Greek kerysso (Strong's #2784): to be a herald, to officiate as a herald

Where text is parallel (OT and NT), the wording is virtually the same in the original languages. Unsupported text in the NT caused the major difference. Could this have just been the NT author's parenthetical thought inserted?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, I do agree that there is little significant difference in meaning.

However, the answer to your question is that "No! This was not a paranthetical comment inserted.", for the text tells us that Jesus stood up to read, and apparently did read this, and followed it up with His own words that the Scripture was fullfilled, at that time.

Ed

3. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

But if the Bible is inspired by God (and here I have in mind direct inspiration, automon like), then why aren't these quotes exact and why can't we find from where the author (God!) is quoting?

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Simply because God is not a man.