1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seriously

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Cutter, Jun 29, 2008.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it's just me, but it sure does seem that Cutter has garnered a lot of flak for stuff NOT said, nor implied (IMNSHO), and then gets slapped for refuting false accusations in the same manner they were offered..

Cut the guy a little slack and READ what he said, not what you THINK he meant!!! Sheesh!!!!!!!!!

I quit posting on this board ling time back because of such tripe. Basically (now you perfectionests this is just a "type" , not a true example cause I ain't gonna dig back that far) I might say, "The sky is blue."
    I would get castigated cause somebody decided that I said, "The sky is never any color but blue."

Ridiculous? Sure, but that's what's happened to Cutter on this thread!

Pride is the only thing that can explain the reluctance to say, "I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying"

Proverbs 8:13, 11:2, 13:10, 14:3, 16:18, 29:23

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Poor Cutter!

[​IMG]

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I would agree if there were some "give and take". The graciousness implied by your phrase, "I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying," is something that all of us should show. If someone feels themselves to be the subject of false accusations, the answer surely should not be rudeness, but words similar to yours, something like, "I am sorry you feel that way. Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote."

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Thanks for coming to my defense and not reading more into it than was actually there. I can relate to your disappointment in being misunderstood and having what one may consider thoughtful and honest dialogue misconstrued and mischaracterized. I guess what takes the cake more than anything is being accused of having the blahs or a case of the Mondays. Oh well, such is life.
    Thanks to everybody that took this thread seriously and addressed the OP. I appreciate your input. :thumbs:

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I did exactly that. I offered a post that responded to the points in the OP with counterpoints. I have also made posts that attempt to be funny. Cutter has done nothing but insult me.

I'd be that way too if I lived in the UK. :tongue3:

j/k Bro. Lamb. :wavey:

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Unless a persons goes into detail about a subject they are trying to convey to others with text, they will never be able to show their demeanor. When one person takes offense and expresses their displeasure then the whole subject is tainted with the wrong demeanor.

Take the simple phrase, "I love you". As typed it can be taken by the reader anyway they choose. Now if I were to type it as "Ilove you" then many if not all will know that the reference is on the first person's feelings. However if it is typed as "I LOVE you" we see that the subject is the feeling and is all that matters, not I or you but love. Then if I typed "I love You" then the person addressed is hit with the subject as the principle recipient.

But who has time for such goings on.(just-want-peace) [​IMG] Then again that is what God made smilies for. :godisgood:

Hang in there Cutter, you might be a Bulldog but this old Gator has your back. :thumbs:

#46 Palatka51, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2008
  7. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Thanks, I think!? :D

8. Magnetic Poles

Actually, you is always the subject of the sentence "I love you". Love is the verb. All you are doing is emphasizing different parts of the sentence. Now, diagram that sentence for us! :laugh:

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, teacher, but Mel keeps looking at my paper!:laugh:

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Well, at least I'm glad to know I'm not prideful, because I did apologize in one of my later posts if I misunderstood the OP. :)

11. Magnetic Poles

Mel, you keep that up and you'll have to come sit at the front by me.

12. Magnetic Poles

For a refresher on sentence diagramming, CLICK HERE.

13. Magnetic Poles

#53 Magnetic Poles, Jul 1, 2008
  14. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Thank you for your apology, I am blessed and I'm sorry I did not acknowledge it sooner. :godisgood:

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

#55 rbell, Jul 1, 2008
  16. Magnetic Poles

#56 Magnetic Poles, Jul 1, 2008
  17. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Wow, the places some people take a thread on seriousness only reinforces the point I made in the OP. Just, Wow.

18. I Am Blessed 24

No apologies needed, Cutter, but thank you. :1_grouphug:

19. I Am Blessed 24

[​IMG]

Please stay on topic, people. The OP has requested serious answers. I am as much at fault as anyone, but we need to stop with the humor and see if we can't come up with some answers for the OP.

20. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's the old saw reference southerners that says, "You can say anything about anybody, if you say 'Bless their heart', afterwards."

I see a lot of this same philosophy practiced in politics, news shows, etc, and the operative gesture here is a smile or a brief giggle.

This is, IMHO, primarily to be able to reply if called on it, "I was only kidding, don't take it seriously." generally after you observe any given person over a while, you can discern the smile or smiley face, and ascertain whether the gesture is legitimate or "insurance".

Again, IMHO, this is what the OP is trying to emphasize, and if so, I heartily concur.