1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SERVING: Gift of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as each of us has one body with many parts, and these parts all function diistincly, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each part belongs to all the others.

But having differing gifts according to the grace which is given to us,
    whether prophesying, according to the proportion of faith;
    or service, in the ministry;
    or the one who teaches in teaching;
    or the one encouraging in the exhortation;
    the one contributing in simplicity;
    the one who takes the lead, with diligence;
    the one showing mercy, with cheerfulness.

Second listed by God is "Serving" or "Ministering"

This is the inward moving of the holy Spirit to minister to another in whatever area of service is necessary, thereby freeing that person to use his/her spiritual gift in another area.

It focuses on the physical work, with the goal of making another a success.

TRAITS (good/bad):
    • Seeing/meeting practical needs
    • Joy in serving others, not just "kept busy" but meaningful tasks
    • Disregard for self (health, comfort)
    • Difficulty saying "no" sense there is so much to do; overwork and burn out
    • Wearing many hats (difficult to focus)
    • Work in power of flesh rather than spirit
    • Running ahead of God's time -see need and work to "fix" it; God might want other lessons to be learned
    • Often unappreciated (so work harder to gain recognition)

Mary and Martha come to mind

2. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

Would this be the gift that a Deacon should have?

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think someone thus gifted might well do the "service" of a deacon. And I know lots of ladies who have this gift and find joy/fulfillment in doing for others where if asked to even share a testimony they get scared or sick!! ;)

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Being limited in a few ways, my tendency is to jump in with whatever my time/body allows. In the past, this may have been leading a study, cleaning the church, cooking meals for a grieving family, or praying with someone. Great stuff for someone who cannot in good faith make a given commitment, just do spur of the moment type things or something on a very small scale regularly.

I'm not quite sure how to utilize that now that I'm in a bigger church where people are already appointed and there's always someone there and willing. There aren't many last minute things. People always say choir is a ministry, but I'm quite sure everyone could survive without a church choir and still fare just as well spiritually. I did offer to bake bread to be given out on visitation, and it will be nice when that starts.

Still, it's not much. If there are any ideas on how someone can actually function and be useful in a bigger church that is run pretty tight and organized, that would be good! This is the biggest church I've ever been a part of, and it makes me feel really disconnected, because I'm used to being in a place where every single person ends up having something to do, somehow, that is vital to the operation of the church. It's like a whole new culture to me. I kinda don't get why churches don't stop and start a new one once one gets to the point where people can just attend and not really be needed for the place to function. Maybe I have the wrong idea of what church is supposed to be. :confused: