1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Setting up Linux DoD and Proxy Server

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Pastor Larry, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I have as linux server. I want to connect to the internet through that (on dial up) and use it as a proxy server for a small network. The network is already set up and running.

I can connect to the internet through Linux, but it won't actually download any pages. I don't even know where to begin on that one.

Then I need to set it up as a proxy server.

The Dial on Demand would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Anyone here know how to do this?

2. superdave

superdave New Member

Check out a program called squid. It allows you to set up a proxy, its open source, there are even a couple mods for it that allow it to filter content as a proxy. I couldn't get it to work in Solaris, I didn't have the right libraries (Thats what I get for using Solaris 10 before its GA release)

are you using a PPP dialer? There are a few different dialer programs out there, its a lot easier with broadband.

Some of those might do DoD, but I don't know of any offhand.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I have the kppp that comes in RedHat 8 and there is another that comes in there I believe. I found a page that talked about Red Hat 5, but I am not sure what the differences are. But the first problem is getting connected with data transfer. Right now, no data is transferring at all for some reason. It connects but won't download anything.

Any ideas?