1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seven Year Tribulation Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Feb 26, 2013.

1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Actual the First Jewish War is usually considered, from what I've read, to last until the fall of Masada in 73AD.

So if that is the Great Trib that Jesus Talked about Dispensationalism AND Preterism are right.... a 7 year great trib centered on 70 AD :eek:

;)

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only one truth and it being on the only side
    It's like truth is written on a mobius ban of paper and it has only one side.
    Truth that isn't the whole truth isn't truth at all.

MB

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW:

"...The war lasted exactly 42 months: from spring, A.D. 67 through August, A.D. 70."

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with you all the things Christ spoke of in Mat 24 have not come true and that generation that Christ was speaking of wasn't the generation He was in.
    Tribulation as described by John has not happened. There has never been a number issued to every living human being that is needed to conduct bussiness.
    Satan has not been placed in Hell and neither has there ever been a one world government. For the tribulation to be over then so is the thousand year reign. Where is the city of God? that comes down from heaven.
    MB

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Well yeah if you count only to the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple then yes it was about 3 1/2 years (But there is no way to know for certain that is was exactly 42 months)... but the war lasted another 3 years...

No offense meant but I think it's possible that, as a preterist website, they could be 'selective' in their facts.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1951463#post1951463

You totally destroy the underlying continuity of the scriptures concerning 'that generation' for the sole purpose of forcing your preunderstood/presupposed view.

Here we go again with this 'cherry pickin' literalizing. Is there a 'Dispy Bulletin' out that defines the criteria for when to literalize in Revelation? I'd like to have one if there is.

#26 kyredneck, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More than that the notion that there is not a literal and physical return of Christ is complete and utter heresy.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I thought KY was a partial-preterist... That still holds to a literal future second coming IIRC.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it comes to Revelation I'm preteristhistoricistidealistfurturist... :)

10. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

A prehistideaturist?

I like it :thumbs:

That being said.. i also disagree when it comes to the preterist interpretation of the Olivet Discourse. I can't see that as all being 70AD.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Complete and utter heresy", whew, you like to use those heavy artillery words.

Can you pinpoint the passage in Revelation that depicts the 'literal and physical return of Christ'?

12. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

Great article and post :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

yes it was :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

14. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

Speaking of Time Revelant scriptures,I believe this one speaks louder than words,and if you deny this plain simple text of time relevance,then its clear that you have a great misunderstanding of the scriptures in that sense.

Matthew 26-64::Jesus said unto him(High Priest in verse 63),Thou hast said:nevertheless I say unto you(High Priest again),Hereafter shall YE see the Son of Man sitting on the right hand of power,and COMING IN THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN.

Soon,Shortly,time is at hand,the end of all things,end of the world,that generation not passing till ALL things were fullfilled in Mat 24.

These are all speaking of coming before that generation passed,a generation was i believe a 40 year period,from ad 30-70 fit perfectly in the time revelant scriptures of those things happening before that generation passed.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why read it at all if you can't understand it.
    MB

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This must be why you are so confused. Try Acts 1:11... or was the angel also just using figurative language?

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you need some one to show you?
    Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with the clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they that pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth shall mourn over him. Even so, Amen.
    MB

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor currently holds to the 7th seal being the 7 trumpets going and the 7th trumpet being the actual 7 bowls going so its like concurrent happenings!

19. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Acts 1:11 kept simple

Act 1:11

This passage is often clung to in desperation by futurists to claim Christ will return in a physical body.

It would require pointing out the obvious to mention that this verse says nothing about Christ returning in a literal or physical body.

All you have to work with is the term “come in” so the relevant question is what is Christ coming into.

If we look at the entire series of relevant verses 9 -11

And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.10 And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, 11 and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” ESV

This scripture has nothing to do with Christ’s return. It is addressing his accession from earth and where he is ascending to—which the angels provide the answer of heaven since the apostles can’t see Christ after He is removed from their view.

Maybe it would clear up confusion here to remember the three heavens used in the bible.

1.The sky that we see as in the clouds and the atmosphere near earth.
    2. The stars and outer realms of the universe.
    3. Heaven as in the spiritual realm where the presence of God dwells.

Now read this by inserting the appropriate level of heaven in the passage.

And while they were gazing into heaven (1st heaven the clouds) as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, 11 and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? (1st heaven the clouds) This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven (1st heaven the clouds), will come in (come into the third heaven—the presence of God) the same way as you saw him go into heaven (1st heaven the clouds).”

Read this way you see the logical progression of events that is consistent with the overall passage and don’t introduce a new element (i.e. His coming back at the end of the age) that is not referenced anywhere in the entire passage of relevant verses.

This is really a simple passage often twisted into something that is not being discussed or described in the verses.

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Dispensationalist John F. Walvoord writes in Major Bible Prophecies that the time lapse between “the Rapture” and the “Second Coming” will be more than seven years [page 293].