1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shame On McCain....

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2008.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think McCain owes it to Palin to step up and put an end to the rumor mill. Only he can do it and the time to make that stand has come and gone, therefore, I say "Shame on McCain."

He is not the man I thought he was, and if he fails to support his running mate during this post election slander fest, than I must admit that my vote was miscast for his ticket. I thought he was a man of honor, fighting for the honor of those who fought next to him in the heat of the battle. Could this mean that some of the POW story line was merely political hype??? At this crucial time in the post election period, his silence speaks more loudly than the words he spoke throughout the campaign.:tear:

Shalom,:type:

Pastor Paul

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John McCain has never liked the social conservatives in the Republican Party. I don't understand why social conservative Republicans thought that had changed simply because he chose Governor Palin as his running mate.

From John McCain in 2000:

"Unfortunately, Governor Bush is a Pat Robertson Republican who will lose to Al Gore."

"Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance, whether they be Louis Farrakhan or Al Sharpton on the left, or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell on the right."

- http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0002/28/se.01.html

3. targus

targus New Member

I don't think that social conservative Republicans thought that McCain had changed. They most likely voted for him in spite of the fact that he wasn't really a conservative.

Kind of like the way that some Christians voted for Obama in spite of his rabid obsessive pro-abortion compulsions.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with you here RD, it's gotten to be like the Ayres and Wright. Enough is enough now lets move on.

On the other hand this is highlighting the tension in the conservative party. If only the moderate conservatives like Powell knew the real Palin they would realize she is really one of them and not the person we were made to believe she was. I was just reading several articles about Palin returning to AK which said she worked so closely with the Liberals that the Conservatives felt alienated.

Here is one of the articles I guess what we saw was not the real Palin and she isn't as far right as she was presented.

Someone ought to let RBell know I officially backed off of Palin. She is not who I thought she was. She wasn't ready to be VP, but she's not as bad as I thought.

5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the post election attack on Palin, was an effort by the Republican party, to help prevent future conservative efforts....These folks may not speak directly for the RNC, but to me the message is clear....

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, it seems they were voting against Obama more than for McCain.

7. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Usually, it is not too complicated.
    Just look at it and ask yourself: who benefits most with keeping her from becoming the leader (or at least the perceived leader) of the conservative wing of the party?

I actually caught Thom Hartmann's show (on XM167) on my way back from Atlanta, and he was also pointing this out. He noted that, from his perspective, the person who benefits most from getting Palin out of the picture is Mitt Romney. I don't know if I agree with that thought, but it is a definite possibility. With Palin out of the way, he could emerge as the leader. If the primaries showed us anything about Romney, it is that he will do anything or say anything to get elected (i.e. the reversal of his stand on abortion).

The GOP is not going to push the conservative wing out of the party. But it is a foregone conclusion that someone is working to prevent Palin from gaining power. It is NOT McCain - character assassination is not his MO,. and it never has been

Regards,
    BiR

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I hear there is a quite group pulling for Bobby Jindal who showed outstanding leadership in the last storm. He was the face of competent leadership.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that Jindal has a lot of potential. But will the conservative GOPers vote for someone with a last name of Jindal? And there's no telling what religion they may accuse him of being a member of.

#9 KenH, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    not any more than someone would vote for a person with the name of Obama

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, Jindal's real first name is not Bobby. It is Piyush. His parents are Hindus and he is now a Catholic.

"Jindal was born in 1971 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to parents who had just moved there from India to attend graduate school. They gave him the name Piyush, but when he was four, he told them he wanted to be called Bobby, after Bobby Brady in the television show The Brady Bunch. Though his parents are Hindu, Jindal converted to Christianity in high school."

- www.notablebiographies.com/newsmakers2/2006-Ei-La/Jindal-Bobby.html

All of which is fine with me and would have no impact on how I view him politically. But I honestly do wonder how it would impact evangelical conservatives who falsely call Barack Obama a Muslim and don't like his actual religious persuasion.

#11 KenH, Nov 9, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It will and always be with Conservatives, about his stance on the issues that are important to us.

13. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I don't see his supporters getting any traction. If he does, be watching for the same thing to happen to Jindal.

Regards,
    BiR