1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Share your mission trip stories--past and present

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Speedpass, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1987 I went with my BSU during Spring Break to Florida. It was an experience itself simply because of how we got there. To promote some new fares, Greyhound offered a limited supply of $1.18 round trip tickets anywhere in the US. So this caught the attention of my BSU director; his original plan was to take a group to Mexico during Spring Break, but after he heard about this he had a change of heart and wanted to take a group to Florida. So one Wednesday afternoon in February after our weekly meeting, a bunch of us headed for the Greyhound station in downtown San Antonio. We happened to buy about 40 tickets.

We left San Antonio on a Saturday nite, and travelled 24 hours to Tallahassee, FL. We spent two nights at FBC Tallahassee. That Monday we rented a van from a Ford dealer in Tallahassee to drive to Panama City to do beach evangelism. Tuesday we left Tallahassee on another Greyhound for Orlando. While there we stayed at a suburban Orlando church(FBC Winter Park), and got to use one of their buses and one of their vans to get around. Tuesday nite we did door-to-door visitation for the church, as they were planning to start a new church. Wednesday we did beach evangelism in Daytona. Thursday and Friday had some of us go to Disney World, while others went to New Smyrna Beach. Saturday we headed back for Texas on another long bus trip. And this is where it got interesting for me [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

Not knowing where we would be stopping for food breaks, we stopped at a KMart in Orlando near the bus station to get snacks. At the time I was not crazy about eating peanut butter, so I bought 2 cans of sardines. When I got hungry later, I opened the first can, but the smell offended alot of my cohorts. So the second time I got hungry, I had to go into the restroom to enjoy my food. However, my friends and the other passengers could also catch a whiff of the aroma of the sardines :eek: :confused: