1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a church have a savings account?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jcjordan, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Agreed...but churches need to be careful; the account needs to be very liquid in nature. One church in our area tied their emergency funds up in a CD; that caused a problem at one point.

Also...the point not being to make money, churches should be extremely conservative with said accounts. There should be zero risk (I know, theoretically impossible, but as close to zero as can be attained).

2. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

That sound great to me. I wonder what the early church did? Never studied financial stuff of the NT period!

Thing is, people suffer now and we have the means to alleviate that suffering to some degree but we are not always on the ball are we. Can't take the stuff with us can we.

3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Just thought this, I wonder how much unused money will be in banks when the last trumpet sounds?

Will the Son of Man find faith on earth when he returns.

4. MrJim

MrJim New Member

You're in Georgetown~I was just at the Walter Reed Medical Center this mornin' representing the Red Cross delivering stuff for the Wounded Warriors~~I shoulda stopped around and you'd see I'm only a sap on the internet, not IRL :laugh:

Anyhow I don't see the piling up cash to build a bigger barn as spilling out funds for worship...just doesn't look like the same thing at all. Now that being said even Jesus had a dude carryin' the purse, which meant even He had petty cash on hand, but nothing more...often much is said against the Roman Catholics for having stored wealth; I suspect we baptists aren't that much better in hoarding cash to expand our brick-n-mortar operations while another kid starves to death somewhere..as the earlier poster says

I dunno, bet He'll find some very efficient religious organizations though.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

MrJim, would you not agree that a two-month savings is prudent?

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's actually a different Georgetown, although you're certainly welcome next time you're in my Georgetown.

Thank you for your service to our veterans.

I don't think they're the same, but I do think they're very similar.

Both are being done for God's glory and for the purpose of doing the work of the Gospel.

You call it "building a bigger barn", but I call it building a building with the space and resources to accomodate our ministries.

We're going to break ground on our new building this summer and, while it's going to be a very nice building, the reason it's taken us this long to build is that we've always made sure to make sure our priorities are straight in our spending (ie. planting new churches, sending our missionaries, supporting missionaries in the field, our evangelism ministry, running two rescue missions, CPCs, scholarships for our Bible school, etc).

It's not as if we're just saving money for the sake of saving money.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    5 years ago when Florida was hit by 4 hurricanes in as many weeks, we lost 2 full sundays due to mandantory evacs and weather service advisories. God used the prudent thought of our leaders to see us through that time (bills keep on coming) and to help with those most affected.

This year during the recession/depression, we have been able to help families because we have saved up during the good times.