1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Baptist Seminaries Admit Non-Baptists

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jul 9, 2005.

?
  1. Yes. As long as they believe the Bible.

87.5%
  2. No. If they believed the Bible they would be Baptists.

5.0%
  3. No. We should stick with our own.

2.5%
  4. No. Allowing non-Baptist students is compromise

5.0%
  5. I Have No Clue.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My seminary accepted fundamental/evangelical students from non-Baptist backrounds. They had to jump thru some hoops - sign that they would not promote their denominational teaching, ecclesiology, etc, and be willing to state their degree was NOT from "Central" Seminary, but "Central Baptist" Seminary.

Most took limited courses; can't recall any graduating, but sure there were some over 50 years.

Biggest problem was the woeful lack of training at the undergrad level from some of the Pentecostal type "bible colleges". But then, some from our ifb bible colleges were in pretty bad shape academically, too!!

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Anyone, I feel, should be allowed to attend a Baptist university, so long as they uphold the U's codes of conduct and statements of mission.
    No. Seminaries, in general, are for anyone who wants a seminary education. Yes, a majority are likely going to be pastors, but many will serve the Lord in other professions, sometimes secular ones. Otherwise, should we require that all Baptist seminaries be male-only? Of course not.

3. JohnAMac

JohnAMac New Member

Although I didn't go to a Baptist seminary, the school I attended required you to give a statement of your "calling" to vocational ministry and it was expected that graduates would work in some field of vocational ministry--missions, pastor, church staff, church-based counseling, Christian day school education, etc., upon receiving their diploma. I don't know how that was ultimately enforced, if it was, but it was emphasized upon enrollment. I know that the Southern Baptist seminary in the same community had that same requirement--to be admitted you had to have the recommendation and endorsement of a church that knew you had committed to vocational ministry.

The seminary I attended, mainly because they offered me a full scholarship and it was close to where I was living at the time, was affiliated with the Disciples of Christ. However, there were a lot of Baptist students there and when they graduated, they didn't have any trouble getting placed in a Baptist church, either as a staff member or in some cases, as pastors. In fact, only a few of the graduates actually went on to serve in D of C congregations, most went to churches of other denominations, with Baptists being the most predominant.

The Southern Baptist seminaries attract a lot of students from other evangelical backgrounds, or at least they used to, because even if you weren't Southern Baptist, the tuition and fees were much less expensive than other evangelical schools like DTS, Moody, etc. and they were fully accredited, unlike the independent Baptist schools. The local Assembly of God pastor is a Southwestern graduate, and he told me that it would have cost him twice as much to go to his denomination's own school, and they didn't offer nearly as much in the way of courses and degree programs. He also didn't find that there was much in the way of doctrine that he disagreed with, and didn't perceive any "pushyness" from the professors.