1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Burleson stop Blogging?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Wade Burleson has been asked by osome of the leadership of the IMB trustees to stop blogging - see the attached website

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/

Go over, check it out nd tell him what you think. I personally do not think that he is in violation of the policies and procedures manual and that he should keep informing SBCers of what is happening - what do you all think?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

If I were on the IMB board, I'd want Burleson to quit blogging too. Internal squabbles never look good to nonsquabblers.

I've got mixed emotions. I'm glad Burleson is keeping us informed via his blog. I like knowing what's going on with an oranization that my church supports. Would I put it out in the open like this? I just don't know.

3. Karen

Karen Active Member

"You are to take your interpretations back to the people after adjournment."
    This is a quote from the trustees' manual, quoted on the blog.
    Sounds like he is doing just that in a modern way!

From what I can see, he has not related confidential matters. In my opinion, he should keep on blogging.

Karen

4. atestring

atestring New Member

Burleson is a man with a backbone. People with backbones are what built this country and People with backbones will change society for the good of everyone. He is more interested in the Kingdom of God than just appeasing a few that want ot control the SBC. He is exactly what the SBC needs. I think He should be elected President of The SBC.
    To tell him not to blog is to deny the doctrine called the priesthood of the believer and the issue of the autonomous church.
    BTW Those who know him best (the Oklahoma Baptist )are supportive of him.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Having a backbone does not immune someone from being an idiot.

This appears to be a first amendment issue. People are guaranteed the right to sound like idiots if they want to. It's a private individual blog, and see no reason why anyone should be required to cease blogging, imo.

6. RandR

RandR New Member

Apparently not.

7. atestring

atestring New Member

JOhnv
    Burleson is far from being an idiot>

8. RandR

RandR New Member

Certain other trustees assume that being a good "public relations" agent for the entity and for the backroom dealing of some trustees are the same thing. They are not. He is accountable to messengers to act in the best interests of the entities. He is so doing.

Ironically, the trustees fail to realize the similarities between a blog and the numerous articles, pamphlets, and "newspapers" written and circulated beyond the tight control of the convention press and state papers that allowed the conservative resurgence (of which I am sure they are all fond) to take root in the late 70s.

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Very true. Spend time listening to his sermons and the term "idiot" does not come to mind. What many people may not know is he never went to seminary, just a business degree from Baylor.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are absolutely right. I was around some of those politicians when I was in the SBC. Let me just say some talk a good game in the piblic but when you get them alone things are not always the same.

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I hope that you all are reading John V incorrectly - I dont think that he is calling Dr Burleson and idiot, and think that he is on target with the 1st ammendment thing. I think Burleson is using his 1st ammendment right correctly throughout his blog

12. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I have followed the saga of Wade Burleson with a great deal of interest and find myself questioning the real purpose of the whole thing. Is it really about baptism and tongues or is there a hidden agenda? I have not come to a conclusion as to what the outcome may be if it gets to Greensboro in June and even gets rejected by the convention. Could this cause a split? Could WB be a wolf in sheeps clothing?
    "Vely intristinnn"

13. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Every major shift in SBC life has been preceded by some one or several some ones observing something wrong (in their opinion) and then beginning dialogue about the problem.

J.R. Graves did it in the Landmark Movement

Bill Powell did it with his Southern Baptist Journal which preceded the Conservative Resurgence in the SBC.

The Founders Ministries are doing it now.

It could be that the Blogging over the IMB fiasco is the first stage of a new movement. Only time will tell.

Bottom line is - this is not something new within SBC life. It has happened before.

14. atestring

atestring New Member

Martin Luther was not as hitech.
    He had the same spirit of a reformer as Wade Burleson.
    Isaiah was not as polished he laid on the wall Neckkkkkeeed. (Thats right necccckkkeeeeddd it is time the southern was put back in the Southern Baptist!)
    Regardless of the methods I thank God for people with the Guts and backbone to do what is right.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Forgive me. I was generalizing, and not referring to Burlson as a specific. I was responding to someone's comment that he has a backbone. There are lots of people with backbones, yet having a backbone does not preclude a person from being an idiot. I was not referring to him in particular. I should have worded my post more carefully... sorry about that.

My main point was that it's a private person's blog, which is well within a person's Amendment I's rights to post to and maintain.

16. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

as a student at SWBTS who graduated just after the new administration took office I was reguarly threatened and tracked in my blogging times. Even though I never bashed the school.

btw: Patterson even wrote an article condemning people like me Suicide Blogger and Suicide Bombers and likening us to radical Muslims...

the enschonched leadership of the SBC is afraid of anything they can't control. Religious liberty and freedom of expression is a benchmark of Baptist life..well until it makes someone uncomfortable

there is something desperately wrong with the SBC, it needs to be fixed

17. RandR

RandR New Member

preachin,

That article is a hoot. My hunch is that he wrote it with another certain young man in mind, a smart, brash, intelligent, and arrogant young man who went from a sycophant to a harsh critic. His blog was well-written but often quite caustic.

18. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

What hidden agenda? If you have kept up with it then you would know it is about baptism and tongues. If you know otherwise now is the time to present it.

By the way, would secret Caucasus be a breeding ground for "hidden agendas"?

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know what happened to the previous registrar when he called them on their substandard academics?

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While the article, oh yeah the week before there was an article on people "watching" over the SWBTS students from their historic places, was written for bloggers et al...I do believe the article was aimed at two in particular. One of them had stopped blogging before this all began, the other whom we both seem to know was constantly castigating the administration.

This is the overal problem with many people within the elder/older leadership of SBC, they fear what they 1. don't understand, 2. can't control.