1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christian churches hold Seders?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This article in the Washington Post talks about some evangelical churches holding Christian seders/passovers and how some Jewish people are finding this offensive. What do you think? Should churches do this?

http://tinyurl.com/gr755

Excerpt:
    Please read the whole article before you comment on it! [​IMG]

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are these unsaved Jews, or Messianic Jews? Every Messianic Jew I know will not get offended.

This would be like me being offended because Jews don't have to work on Christmas or Easter.

3. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I've always wanted to go to a Seder. We were going to go this year, but we went to get our tickets too late. But from what I've been told the imagery in a Seder is such that you just go "How do the Jews not get it?"

I found this interesting:
    You don't traditionally find Jesus at a modern Seder celebrating Passover, which began last night. But this was no ordinary Seder. The 250 people at Immanuel's Church in Silver Spring on Tuesday night were holding a Christian Seder, a phenomenon that's gaining popularity across the country -- to the consternation of many in the Jewish community as well as some interfaith leaders.

Interfaith leaders are upset??????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please explain that one to me.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

In 1 Corinthians 5:7--we are told that Christ is our Passover and then in v.8 we are told to "keep the feast"

But I don't believe we are to keep the feast---in a literal physical way---like in the setting Marcia's article described---but we are to keep the feast in the Inner Man---with "the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth"

But there is a growing sentiment among many church groups that believe we've "got to do it just like those Hebrews in the Bible did!" And pretty soon--whats gonna happen is this---we're gonna have all these churches "doing it like those Hebrews did"---with every place mat and every fork and knife and spoon in its right physical order-----and then we'll get so busy trying to get the physical tradition down----that we COMPLETLY MISS the spiritual truth!!! Then we get so tied up with the event---and when its all said and done---we don't have one iota of a clue as to what and who that meal pointed to!

We're carnal enough as a church already---without having to add the possiblity of Hebrew carnality on top!!

Besides---Jesus has already given us a Supper to participate in---in that "as oft as ye do eat and drink--ye do show the Lord's death til He comes!!!"

Amen???

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

gtbuzzarp, the article explains why the (non-Messianic) Jews people are upset.

Blackbird, I'm with you on this one! Even though Passover was Jesus' last meal before his death, it was ultimately a picture of his sacrifice; it pointed to Christ.

Also, the last Passover is now our communion. While I can appreciate the Passover and would not mind attending or observing one in a Jewish home, I do not think churches should be getting into holding seders.

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I have been to several Seders, and enjoyed them! It really enhanced my understanding of our faith, and that Christ came to fulfill the Passover. It is full of symbolism.

I think it is a wonderful thing to hold a Seder. I also understand why Jewish people might find it offensive. They miss the symbolism, so they don't understand how we, as Christians, can hold a Seder. I'm sure it's confusing to them.

BTW, the Lord's Supper is taken from the Seder.

7. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I understand why Jews might be, but why interfaith leaders? Interfaith folks are moral relativists, so what's it matter to them?

When I think inerfaith, I think of a gathering of Rabbis, Pastors, and Imams who all give a message and each message is equally valid. No one religion is more right than the other.

8. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

gtbuzzarp, I am don't understand it, either. It shouldn't be any more offensive to them than non-Messianic Jews who celebrate Christmas.

9. Karen

Karen Active Member

Marcia and blackbird,
    I agree with Gwen on this one.
    I have been to 4 Seders over a period of about 20 years. Including one last year hosted by a representative of Jews for Jesus.
    It was a wonderful way to understand more about what the Lord's Supper means. It did not come out of nowhere.
    I have never seen a hint in the churches that sponsored these that that was what we should change Communion to. It was an unusual special event to more fully explain things.

Karen

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been to a Sedyr by Messianic Jews and indeed there is a lot of symbolism that points to the Messiah.