1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should God have compassion?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by BobRyan, Sep 5, 2005.

1. whatever

whatever New Member

Still misquoting the Bible. Still misrepresenting Calvinism. Still doesn't get it. :(

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Calvinists still ducking scripture. Still dodging the point. Still avoiding the text. STill running from the hard questions.

Still misdirecting and obfuscating when "a response to the points raised" would have served them better.

And in doing all that they prove the point over and over -- that Calvinism makes for good jokes and philosophy - but poor doctrine if the BIBLE must be read.

In Christ,

Bob

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct as usual.

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good to see you on this thread.

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Curious about the dead silence among Calvinists here to the salient points noted in the OP and on the first page.

Should this thread be called "Silence of the goats"??

7. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Silence of the lambs that should read. :cool:

john.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oops sorry - sheep!

But still "dead silence" when it comes to the "inconvenient texts of scripture" all the same!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Likely answer so far from Calvinists: "Dead Silence"

(Calvinists engaged in Detail-avoidance - fleeing from the text)

Of course my "expectations" might be wrong. I will now read through the post history to see if we really do have dead silence on the specific points brought out on page 1 of this thread.

</font>[/QUOTE]WEll - I was not "surprised" to say the least. The calvinists were as predictable as sunshine in August.

Oh well. They seem to have no answer on this one!

Again.

In Christ,

Bob

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Sheep are so dumb.

john.

11. whatever

whatever New Member

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So many entertaining ways "not to respond" to the points raised.

Failed arguments are made the more obvious in their failings by noting their consistent need to avoid the devastating text of scripture raised against them. That string of unanswered points exposes their flaws and all the conjecture and speculation needed to prop up false teaching. Falsehood needs to consistently gloss over and ignored inconvenient texts of scripture so that the adherents may cling to bias and tradition over exegesis in the Word of God.

But then to suppose that “time passing in silence” will suffice as “The response” to the unanswered texts so devastating to a flawed doctrine – is to embrace even deeper self-deception. It is running and hiding from the most blatant of inconvenient facts – all in service of a “good story”.

13. ascund

ascund New Member

Hey Bob

Those are hard words from someone who doesn't understand justification.

Those words should be applied to your confusion over justification and sanctification.

How is it that such a self-professed Bible scholar has no idea on how to decipher something simple like the active or passive voices?

I find it hilarious that you can some dust in the Calvinistic household but fail to see the shambles of your shack.

Lloyd

14. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

I'm amazed that Calvinist are reluctant to admit that the people of Nineveh were not elected. They were not Jews yet God saved them by sending them Jonah and there acceptance and following of the truth of God. Yes God chose to save them, but only because of there repentance and belief in God. They were not elected any more than Calvinist are elected to be God's special people

Ascund;
    Justification is only through the Blood of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is our Justification. To be justified means we are found to be with out blemish because of the blood of Christ
    Sanctification is also through Jesus Christ we are sanctified by and through Him when we believe in Him. To be sanctified is the purification of our selves.
    We are only pure by the blood of Christ,because it is His blood that washes our sin away.
    I'm courious to read your reply.

May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How do you know they were not elected? There is no evidence that they were unelect. In fact, their repentance and faith shows that they were elect.

That is not what justified means. Justified means to be declared righteous.

This whole thread is founded on faulty basis. God's argument in Jonah is that he can have compassion on them because he is sovereign. They are ones he created and he gets to do with them whatever he desires. This is an extremely Calvinistic verse. In fact, this verse alone would prove the facts of Calvinism -- that God is sovereign to grant repentance and faith to whomever he desires. He is not bound to grant it to anyone, nor is he kept from giving it to any.

16. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Larry;
    The only elect in the Old testament are the Jews.
    The Bible doesn't say a thing about any other elect at the time. Can you prove that belief is proof of election?
    I disagree and so do you in your very next sentence.
    True except, only through the blood of Christ.
    Wrong there are no Calvinist verses. There are only Bible verses, which are God's words. No Calvinist ever said these words except in quote.
    Calvinist did not speake any part of the Bible They are God's words you should know that.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us all;
    Mike

17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

God must have been a Calvinist then.

Hello Pastor Larry I've missed you. :cool:

john.

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Really?? When did this change?

Election to salvation is the same in teh OT and NT. You should know that.

Scripture teaches that election is to salvation through belief. We have been through this many times. I see nothing has changed. You still don't like Scripture and don't listen to it.

I disagree and so do you in your very next sentence.
    True except, only through the blood of Christ.</font>[/QUOTE]
    This makes no sense. You said To be justified means we are found to be with out blemish because of the blood of Christ. That was incorrect. Justification is a legal declaration. It doesn't mean we are "found" anything, really. It means we are declared to be something. It is through the blood of Christ, to be sure. But that wasn't the point.

I didn't say there were. I said this was a Calvinistic verse. Please read more carefully.

I didn't say any different. As I said, this is a Calvinistic verse. It demonstrates the truth of Calvinism.

Yes indeed. That is why I take them very seriously.

19. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Larry;
    Why would you assume that Ninevah were elected when the Bible never says so.
    Then the Bible should say so and it doesn't. It says we are saved by Grace through faith and the people of ninevah were saved because God wanted to save them because they believed Jonah. Not because they were pre-elected as the Jews. God had plans to destroy them if they didn't turn from there evil ways. To suggest that God elected them to Salvation is not so and you still haven't proven it. We are not saved by election we are saved by Grace through faith which literaly means that with out faith there is no saving. We acquire Grace at the throne of Grace through our faith. That's on our knees before the Lord in submission. Willingly
    I can't listen to what isnt there Larry
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Mike,

The Bible teaches that election is to salvation (Eph 1, 2 Thess 2, 1 Tim 2, 1 Peter 1, etc.). If you believe the Bible, then you must believe that the people who Nineveh who were saved were elect. I am not sure what causes you to stumble there, except your preconceived theology.

The Bible does say that election is to belief. In fact, my words above were a virtual quotation, which you should have recognized from 2 Thess 2:13. It is very plain.

The people of Nineveh were saved because they believed Jonah. That is true. But why did they believe Jonah? The Bible tells us that belief is given to us by God because of election. Belief is the willing response of submission.

The problem is not that the Bible doesn't teach this. It clearly does. The problem is that your theology is set without respect for what God said. Therefore, your theology is wrong ... still. God has shown his light. I have cited it many many times, and each time you reject that light. Why? I don't get that.