1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should This Child Be Taken Away From His Parents?

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Martin, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " British authorities may take an 8-year-old boy weighing 218 pounds into protective custody unless his mother improves his diet, officials said Monday."

While I don't support such action by governments I do have to wonder about a parent who would allow their eight year old son to weigh 218 pounds. Why is this child not on a diet or seeing a regular doctor about a medical condition? Worse yet his mother seems to be teaching him that being over-weight is a civil rights issue and not a health issue.

[​IMG]
    Picture of Connor McCreaddie from the BBC.

STORY

#1 Martin, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An 8-year-old who weighs 218 pounds doesn't have much time left in this world without medical help.

Before taking him away from his mother, I would have to know why he is so overweight.

Does he have a medical condition? If so, then that's not her fault.

Is she a "weak" parent who just cannot teach her son proper nutrition and cannot control his out-of-control eating? If so, then she needs help as a mother.

Is she a neglectful mother who doesn't care that her son weighs 218 pounds and consistently buys horrible things to eat and feeds them to him? If so, then perhaps he needs to be out of her custody for a while.

It all depends.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This reminds me of an event I witnessed about two years ago. I had stopped by the local Chinese restaurant to have lunch after a doctor’s appointment. There was a man standing there waiting for his son who was getting food from the buffet. The son was probably around 10 years old and was on the heavy side (being nice). I thought nothing about it until one of the workers bought out a new tray of some meaty stuff. This boy saw the tray, cheered, jumped up and down, and went quickly to the buffet to get some of what the worker had bought out. All I could think was if that was my child, well, first he/she would not be that big. But second the minute they cheered the arrival of food, when they were not starving, would be the minute that we would be leaving the Chinese restaurant without the food. I could not believe that father just stood there!

Anyway this event brought me to my senses and I had lunch at Subway instead. I rarely eat at these places, even though I love Chinese food, because the food is loaded with junk. If I want Chinese I go to the grocery store, buy the things I need, and cook it on my own. When I cook I do not fry anything, I don't put much salt in it, and I know everything that goes into it. It is cheaper and much healthier. I am to the point that I only eat at those places in the event I have no other option.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I wish I could remember the name of the show, it was one of those real news shows, celebrity gossip or soemthing, I don't kow I don't watch these. But I saw a commercial for this episode and watched it. There was this little girl, who at 4 weighed over 200 pounds, and by 10 weighed 400 pounds. The story was to air over several nights and I saw only one, apparently the finally got her help. But this child could hardly breath, couldn't walk, she skooted across the floor. I think they sent her to some obese childs clinic to live at to loose weight.
    A child eats what you buy! If you don't want to eat it, or don't want your child to eat it don't buy it. It is irresponsable of parents to allow a child to get liek this. At 10 years old and 400 pounds, someone should ahve filed chagres agains her parents, for negelect and child abuse. You know they know better.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

6. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

In my opinion, yes. At least until they get this problem under control.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Wouldn't hurt to educate the parents too.

8. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I read that she struck a deal with the British authorities so she can keep her kid.

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, the mother is not fufilling her role as a gaurdian and does not seem to worried about the problems that her kid is having, yes the kid should be taken away. Yet I would say in the first instance for two weeks to attend some type of fitness camp. Hopefully that might be enough to break and change both their behaviour patterns.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

==I doubt it. Look at that picture again. This child is eight years old and look at him. He needs a change of lifestyle otherwise he will be lucky to see 20.

His parents need to be charged and he needs to be put in protective custody. He needs to be put on a strict diet and exercise program and he needs to be educated on the dangers of over-eating. However I suspect that his body has already suffered damage.

For more PICS of him click here.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Two weeks is not enough to learn new behavior patterns when changing soemthing like eating habits. And I agree with martin, the parents need to be charged.
    On the other hand, where is the line, just how much over weight does a minor have to be to charge the parents and remove the child?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I saw the mother for a little bit last night on TV and she said that he just doesn't LIKE vegetables or frut.

Ummm - so??????? :BangHead: Don't give him cake instead!!

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I did not like vegetables when I was a child either but my mother made me eat them. So I learned to like vegetables! Can I get an AMEN on that one? :laugh:

In fact we were not allowed to eat any time we wanted to. We had regular meals and a snack in the afternoon. On Saturdays, and during the summer, we were to be outside most of the day if the weather was nice. We did come in to eat lunch, however, many times we ate lunch on the back porch. We were not allowed to sit around watching tv and playing video games.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah - and do any of you remember this??

Me - I'm thirsty - can I have some soda (juice, whatever - fill in your choice)?
    Mom - Have some water.
    Me - But I don't want water - I want soda!
    Mom - No soda - you may have water.
    Me - But I'm so THIRSTY!!!!!
    Mom - Then drink water.
    Me - SIGH - forget it

You can also plug in "starving" and "carrots/celery" into that - works either way.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I remember getting water to drink, and being told to go out side and stay there.

16. Pete

Pete New Member

Great idea. I reckon every person more than 1.5kg (3.3lb) over-weight should be hunted down and taken away to be Jenny-Craigised with extreme prejudice until they come back down to a not quite as disgusting level.

.....Or how about to save a lot of $$ and effort just wait until the young bloke gets enough back pain or something to convince him to drop a bit? If it wasn't for back trouble my Quack would be still singing Handel's Hallelujah-you'retoofatandgonnadie-Chorus to me. I've dropped about 90lb since July, but would still rather a couple of Big Macs over a plate of lettuce....

Trust me kids, forced diets are about as effective as an umbrella in a hurricane. Sure I wasn't the young bloke's size at that age (I was "only" 140lb at 10), but Quack I had back then kept going on about it...So went in hospital for 4-5 days on heavy-duty diet...and as soon as I came out had a couple of meat pies plastered with tomato sauce (best ones I ever had ;))

The young bloke himself shows his current attitude to how effective a diet would be in last quote of story: It makes us feel sick of the nutters always shouting at us.

If he decides he wants some diet tips I'ld pass along what's helped me knock a bit back, but until he and the family decide themselves it's time to do something everyone else would be better off filling in time discussing KJVo, C/A, hymns Vs PW/CCM, etc etc etc

Oh, just found THIS :) After beginning an intensive exercise regime and swapping junk food for healthy alternatives, Connor has lost one-and-a-half stone in two months.

Go get 'em mate :)

#16 Pete, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I don't see going at him with guns drawn but educating him on good choices, bad choices, exercise and such. What about getting outside to play tag? Build a fort? Ride bikes? Most kids can do this - but are so vegetative in front of computers/TV/video games that they get no exercise. Get him doing something fun first! Along with learning moderation and better choices (not always "right" choices but better choices - want a piece of cake? OK - have some salad first - even a small one - and have a small piece of cake - then take a walk with mom. It's not that hard. I'm overweight, DH is overweight, DD is overweight (the rest of the kids are right on track) but we MOVE when we can! I train a horse 3 days a week. My husband is helping to physically build a church - my daughter is in dance. There are ways to take care of this stuff that's not so militant.

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Right from the horses mouth so to speak. There's been no one there to step in? Ummm... What about yourself? What she couldn't see that he was extremely overweight for his age? I can tell when my children are gaining weight and they are not even close to overweight. Why is it the state's job to tell you there is something obviously wrong with what is going on? She could tell he was gaining weight, right? At the very least she could have tried to change the family's eating habits. For example, chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs, lean beef instead of the regular stuff, even light bread. Sounds like the mother needs to start taking responsibility for her NEGLECT, otherwise this kid is going to be stuck in a vicious cycle. I don't care if my kids don't like vegetables or fruit they have to eat them anyway. They are not allowed to drink regular soda or juice at home. It is either water, diet soda, and on rare occasions light juice. It's time for these parents to start standing up to their children's wants and give them what they need, otherwise don't be angry or surprised when you wake up one day and have your kid taken away, or worse end up with a dead kid. About a month ago Dr. Phil did a show on extremely overweight children. I usually don't watch his show but I did this one. The parents that I saw made me sick to my stomach. One women burst into tears at the thought of telling her 4 year old no when he asked for McDonalds or tasty cakes. "But Dr. Phil he will cry and be upset." So what, be a parent and not an enabler.

The way I see it, you are train and teach your children. If you don't give them junk on a regular basis they won't expect it or even want it. My son doesn't even like regular soda; it is too sweet for his taste. Could it be that from the time he was little we only had diet soda in the house? I think so. Our children follow our example. The choices we make for ourselves affect our children's lifestyle, it's human nature.