1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should We Require New Church Members

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I think it's a great idea, but we need to differentiate between joining a local church as the OP said and joining the Body of Christ. The latter happens once upon conversion, the former may happen dozens of times throughout ones life.

At my church we have a 4 week new members class which takes the place of Bible Study/Sunday school on Sunday mornings after worship. The course goes through the history of our particular local church, the basics of doctrine and theology. It's also a good opportunity for the pastor/elder (whoever is doing the course that time) to see if there is evidence of genuine conversion. (Yes of course you can't know 100% from 4 hours of interaction, but it is better than just taking someones word for it.)

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I can't speak for other churches, but our New Members Class is a four-week survey of the Bible and what it says about God, Christ, the Holy Spirit, salvation, service, etc., and how our church sees those things defining our ministry to the community and to the world. It isn't a requirement for anything, and is offered after they have asked to join, either as a new believer or as a transfer of letter or statement of faith.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The Apostle Paul would likely disagree with you. Reading any of his epistles reveals a whole list of "do's" as well as "don'ts" for the members of the local churches that he wrote to. A new member's class is simply a way to teach those responsibilities. Most church members live as if they belong to a country club rather than a church.

But if any church chooses not to have one, that's cool by me. But in our church, we will.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiousity, have you ever read the Didache?

While scripture is our authority, the Didache shows that church membership was not nearly as easy as it is today.

I was once made a member of a church because I showed up three Sundays in a row.

Do you believe somebody should have a Biblical salvation testimony before they can join a church? If so, then you do agree with us that there should be requirements for membership. You just disagree about what those requirements are.

5. pk4life

pk4life Member

I think the problem comes when it is a requirement for a member.

I would also hesitate to equate "bells and whistles" added my men in modern churches, to things that were penned by the Apostle Paul and later included as God's spoken word.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It's not a problem for our church. That's just the way it will be here.

Why should we consider a "New member's class" as a "bell and whistle" any more than the other "man-made" things such as Sunday School?

7. pk4life

pk4life Member

I don't consider it different than that. I would have a problem if Sunday School attendance were required for membership at the local church also :)

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Mexdeaf

I don't disagree at all with what Paul says in Scripture. He's speaking to what Christians in the church should be doing. He has not set up a requirement to become a member.

9. pk4life

pk4life Member

The bolded is actually scriptural.

Acts 2
    This was already shared.

Salvation, baptism, added to the church.

10. pk4life

pk4life Member

Also, the bolded indicates a bad counting job, or a lack of concern with keeping a membership log in the local church.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I have not.

I would imagine that maintaining membership was more difficult than it is today. I just don't think the BIBLICAL case can be made for requirng something like a member's class in order to join the church.

I agree that there is an inherent BIBLICAL requirement to become part of a fellowship that rests with salvation. But that again centers around what GOD requires before you can be adopted into the family. It DOES NOT open the door for a list of manmade requirements to become a member of a local fellowship.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sunday School is not a requirement for membership , at least not in any Baptist church that I know of. It is recommended, especially in larger churches as a way of makin the church not so big while surrounding the member with a smaller church family.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

But there are requirements to maintain membership, are there not?

As I see it, a NMC is simply a way of putting the requirements for membership upfront and is a preventive measure.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I agree, but my point was that a NMC is no more or less scriptural than SS.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent statement - BTW, you should add that your your signature!

It should be

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We used to have it over several weeks (4 or 6, I can't remember) with shorter sessions. We'd meet at a different pastor's home each week. But the problem is families with kids had a hard time making it to all of them. Schedules are busy and we realized we could work through a lot of the materials in a shorter period of time and allow the small group leader to add additional instruction and teaching when needed for a new member. All new members are members of a small group before they join so this really helps in testimony and understanding where the person is in their walk with Christ. So it's a larger team effort than just the new member's class. Once they join, there is a three weeks class that we recommend they take that's called Essentials of the Christian Life and that will continue some of the teaching that some may put into their new member's class. :)

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So should tithing.
    So should teaching your kids to dress modestly.
    There's probably a long list that I'm sure we would like to see. :laugh:

But GOD has not set them. ANd it is wise to ALWAYS go with God.:flower:

18. pk4life

pk4life Member

Modern day church memberships are usually part of a church constitution that is liable to be filled with man made requirements for the membership, this is true.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Please explain this further. How do you differentiate "modern day church memberships" from "Non-modern day memberships"? I'm not being sarcastic.

Thank you.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I think Scripture makes it quite clear training and indoctrination comes after joining, as in Act 2 41-47

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.