1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sign Up?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Jun 6, 2012.

?
  1. Yes, I could sign it in good faith that it is representative of my views.

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. No, I could not sign it in good faith that is representative of my views.

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. I prefer to avoid conflicts at all cost. Please don’t make me choose!

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, to me the cost of presenting the Gospel as being genuinely offered to all men is one that is important enough for me to stand by my principles and put my name to my beliefs. All the Articles do is bring this subject to light. No shame in the truth for me. ;)

This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
    (1Jn 1:5)

#61 Benjamin, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, again, we see that the poster has taken a position in which no side would argue, but his attempt to present it as "higher ground" is actually an attempt to demean any who don't agree with his soteriological views in other posts.

All views that are not heretical desire to present the Gospel, and offer the Gospel to all men for no man knows who is to be saved and who is not.

The great commission is not benign but given to every believer to fulfill.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fluff?! Did you not see the Scripture provided in the op?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Kind of like a car dealer honoring a warranty after the purchase of a new car.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have a Cal question, why are you on our side? Please, convert to Arminian.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, again, my opponent demeans himself by not agreeing to the Articles simply designed to pin him down on whether or not he truly believes all men have the volition to “really” make that choice. Sorry, but, see, we no longer care about your continued arguments which you are so determined to make at every corner; we are cutting to the chase.

Our differences have been spelled out by whether one is willing to sign the Articles or not. We feel those differences are important and it seems the Calvinist find it demeaning to reveal where their beliefs actually lead and want to continue on with their endless arguments instead. Too bad! The Articles present simple statements of belief and if you can’t agree to them it demeans you? And that somehow supposed to be our fault?!? Here, again, sounds like you got something to hide to me.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, I saw the Scriptures.

But the point was that Benjamin has offered nothing of Scriptural support of his statements, rather choosing to demean and post fluff.

If he has a specific argument about the view in which he repeatedly belittles and considers it not scriptural, then he needs to post Scriptures to prove his point.

It is usually the Scriptures that the BB use to prove or disprove a view.

He cannot rely solely upon the fluff that he has posted and expect to gain favor toward his view - whatever that is.

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You can use the ignore button they tell me...so why don't you try it out.
    You are own your own side evidently. You are looking to bait me,or whatever you think you are doing. Not sure what your issue or issues are.
    Unless you have a scriptural concern to raise I am not interested in this last ten mysterious posts with your agenda.....if I want advise from you I will ask.
    I post as I will...you do what you want,,,like this:

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Benjamin,

My posts are for all to see.

I have hidden nothing of my views and usually post Scriptures to example why I hold a certain view.

You, however, have offered very little other than detraction and disparage in your posts.

If you have a view, then support it with specific Scriptures.

But, it is becoming more apparent that you have merely adopted what is ear tickling seems good, rather than a hearty investigation in which you can clearly state what exactly you believe and what Scripture support you use for that belief.

You want to rely upon the work of others, but where is your own work on a view that you hold?

For instance: I am Calvinistic thinking, but I did not read any of Calvin, nor his supporters to arrive at my statements of belief. It was some years before someone said, "You sound like a Calvinist," that I actually began to see that for centuries others have traveled the same road and come to the same conclusion that I hold.

Where is YOUR work?

Why not start with this first:
    Can you show Scriptural support for your view that man in complete unregenerate state has the natural ability outside of any specific grace given by God to choose righteous?

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There may be millions of people who could sign it in the sense that it represents their views.

The question is SHOULD they sign it in light of it's AIM?

It's aim is to define Southern Baptist beliefs as anti-calvinistic. It seeks to pretend that the non-cals are the "traditional" Southern Baptists and the Calvinists are stepchildren which the SBC tolerates as long as they know their place.

This does nothing but starts a fight that the SBC does not need.

Singing that document not only assents to the theology represented therein, but it also embraces the divisive motives which hurts the movement as a whole.

#70 Luke2427, Jun 7, 2012
  11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is not helpful.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It takes a lot of nerve to post a verse about no strife and post the way you do. I could care less about baiting you. I do care about an obnoxious spokesman for doctrines of grace and sovereignty. Dont ask for advise, most were here years before you arrived on the scene.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

So sue me.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand.

Do you have a personal problem with Icon that has spilled over to this thread?

Do you two have an actual disagreement upon the Scriptures, or is about the tone and tempo of posting that is the problem?

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is all about tone. He draws sharp reponses from both sides by the wording of the posts, phrases such as "have you had too much caffine." In theory, theologically we are on the same side, but do not believe these kind of posts foster a good exchange of ideas, but bring out feelings of anger.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right. It is distracting. Take it to the pm. It has nothing to do with the OP.

I figure it is one big fat misunderstanding.

I think both guys are solid. Somebody has said something along the way that has really rubbed the other the wrong way and they can't seem to shake it and wind up reading ALL of the posts of the that person through rage colored glasses.

You two are on the same team. Work it out, will you please?

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will stick with this. Your posts do not seem to be scripturally based.
    What I posted to michael...was between him and I...we have an understanding. You are going off and I am not following you.
    I speak for myself......you speak for yourself.

So what. You are not posting scripture much at all,You are setting yourself up as a judge.
    Where have you posted anything scriptural?
    Your comments are not helping with anything except to make you feel good. Put me on ignore...then you do not have to worry about it.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry for the distraction...I posted James Whites program response to the SBc

saturn got twisted ,attacked James White? I answered so now he wants me to be arminian??? I am telling him to ignore my posts.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What good is posting Scripture then misinterpreting it?

20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, "Let's argue some more! Let's argue some more, where's your work, support it with scriptures!" :rolleyes:

You guys just don't seem to be able to get the point, and that's the point of these Articles, We're tired of it, let's cut to chase. Did I not just finish answering your request of wanting to continue arguing about this?!?

For the record, my rebuttal of the doctrines of hyper-determinism would not have been nearly as mildly put. I am not here to settle this settle our differences between our doctrines in this tread! You know full well that isn't going to happen. Poke at me all you want and say I am not able to defend my position scripturally if you want! You know that to be a lie! You just want to fight some more. And there we have it! The point is we are not going to settle these differences and the attitude you are displaying here about "come on put up your fight, you can't" it is EXACTLY why it has come to the point where it is time to show you the door by revealing where your agenda leads!

We are no longer going to deal with your agenda. Instead we are going to put the cards on the table for all to see and are willing to bring transparency to the subject so informed decisions can be made by every one through simple observations of the issues at stake so they can make a choice. You don't want that..TOUGH!!!

It is obvious who is looking for peace and who wants to continue to fight.

The only way to peace with your kind is to put distance between us, you have given a great example why that is so!

#80 Benjamin, Jun 7, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.