1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mima, Apr 2, 2006.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

French....hello, he was quoting himself....lol

I believe he was referring to your statement that there really are whiskey bottles in his church's window.

2. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I agree bapmom that we do get use to things desensitized (did I spell that right oh well) to things, but come on if you don't have a problem with drinking looking at a whiskey bottle all day long is not a problem nor is it sin!

The problem you guys do not get is, if not everyone has the same problem when it comes to gray area's, things which may cause one person to have a problem while at the same time has NO effect on another. what the big deal?

You guys are making mountains out of mole hills.

we had a pastor once say "smoking doesn't send you to hell, it just makes you smell like you've been there"

Grant it some things may not be good for your health and in that sense are wrong, but if it doesn't effect those around you or your relationship with God how can it be sin?

3. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Well in that case he SHOULN'T have put Frenchy quote above HIS own statement. :rolleyes:

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

lol Frenchy....you're too funny.

Its called addressing it to the person he wanted to talk to.....

[​IMG]

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Frenchy;
    My quote was so simple a child could decipher it but you seem to be having trouble understanding it so I think this is no longer a debate but a vengeance trip by you.

Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord, and I shall repay.

6. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Ok i see that now but his example was still lame and had no meaning to the discussion.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Frenchy,

we haven't made any overtly adamant or pointed statements about any particular issue. We've actually been quite vague.

I don't know what you're getting so confused about, nor what you mean by "we don't get it."

Just saying that as Christians we really have begun to tolerate too many things.

Oh, and btw, I agree totally with that pastor who you quoted about smoking. Ive heard the same remark, and it is absolutely right on. He really could tell "right from wrong", couldn't he?

8. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

yes i agree we do tolerate to many things.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

hmmm, another interesting idea....."if it doesn't affect those around you or your relationship with God than how can it be sin?"

My response to that would be that it is sin if it goes against the Word of God, either His direct command or a Biblical principle. I do not believe that it is a correct determination of sin by just looking at if you think it affects others and if you think it affects your walk with God.

Oftentimes the things we do have a direct affect on our walk with God, but because we are not very objective about ourselves, it is quite easy for us to deceive ourselves into thinking that it isn't hurting our relationship with God.

Not to mention the fact that those two "criteria" are not the Bible's criteria for determining sin.

10. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Where does it say it is wrong to smoke? where does it say listening to certain kinds of music is wrong? where does it say women must wear dresses all the time? where does it say wearing makeup is wrong? where does it say chewing gum is wrong? where does it say dancing is wrong? (actually David danced naked praising God)where does it say going to the movies is wrong? where does it say watching TV is wrong?

Get it! these are gray area's that some preachers say are WRONG and SIN. They preach huge sermons on these things instead of the real issues of SIN mentioned in God's word.

By the way the Bible condones drinking wine it just says it is wrong to get DRUNK.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Frenchy, dear,

you are the only one bringing up these particular issues in this thread, and I don't see why. They aren't relevant. I don't think we want to start to argue about them here, either.

12. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

No Brother Bob brought up tv and then he brought up drinking. go back to the first thread

13. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Brother Bob quote 5th post down on TV's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Brother Bob quote on drinking same page

just showing the errors of his thinking and yours on these matters.

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Well, Im exhausted by running in circles....

I have to take a break. lol

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Frenchy;

Those two quotes are the saying the same thing that maybe we are tolerating too much. Are you having a problem understanding?

16. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I understand exactly what you are saying instead of saying we as a society are tolerating KNOWN bible sins like Homosexuality and People Living together or Divorce or Abortion etc. you major on the minors like TV and cooking wine.

Yeah i know the TV and computers promote all these evil things that are sin. but you have control over what your eyes see and where your fingers lead you.

I personally would be more concern about christian tolerance when it comes to not do something about the issues mentioned above. by not becoming involved in some way shape or form. my example of tolerating abuse right in front of you was more applicable example of tolerance. not doing something when you have the power to do so.

you want to do something to help our society vote on this site and be a part of making a difference.

http://www.afa.net/

[​IMG]

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bapmom and BB are exactly right. Abstain from TV and movies for three months, then turn it back on. You'll be surprised at what you tolerated for the sake of amusement.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am practicing great tolerance right now. I am tolerating your unfriendly remarks to no end, and you in no way just quoted my priorities. We were having a discussion on a subject, but you want to turn this into a personal attack on me. You also must have the last word, so be my guest, I will tolerate that also.
    Also, what good would it do to vote for this organization, what authority do they have. I would rather place my veiws with my congressman [​IMG]

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

"vote on this site"? Ooookaayy, you're right, we're wrong.....lol Is that the only way you're going to be happy? You're examples are always the best around.... I seem to remember this conversation from awhile back. Sounds like you have a personal axe to grind, since these issues aren't what are being discussed.

But oh well.

When Im talking about tolerating the wrong things Im talking about tolerating them in my own life. As to the OP, yeah, I think we can actually be sinning by being tolerant of certain things. I thought the first page actually had some very good posts which stated it quite well.

20. bapmom

bapmom New Member

This is true, Aaron.

We've done just that in our house before, and it has been an eye-opener. Doesn't even have to be the shows that are on, but just the commercials! Many of them are becoming worse than the programming.