1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Since you have been a Baptist, have you . . .

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Craigbythesea, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

JackRUS,

Your performance in this debate has improved immensely and you are now quoting reputable Roman Catholic sources. As you have yourself illustrated in this tread, it is not difficult to find teachings within the Roman Catholic Church that are based upon interpretations of Scripture that are decidedly different than the interpretations of the same Scriptures held by the large majority of Baptists. Generally speaking I agree more closely with the Baptist interpretations than I do with the Roman Catholic interpretations, but there are some notable exceptions.

Their interpretation of James seems to me to be much closer to the truth than any of the very many “Baptist” interpretations of James, some of which come close to the insane. I would encourage you to study the many interpretation of James 2:14-26 that have been put forth by Baptist writers, read several of the leading Roman Catholics writers on James 2:14-26, and several of the leading writers representing other denominations on James 2:14-26, and then pray that the Holy Spirit will make known to you what was in the mind of James when he wrote what he did.

Then do the same thing with 1 Peter 3:18-22. If you will do that with 1 Peter 3:18-22, you will find that although there is a huge amount of disagreement concerning the first portion of this passage, there is very broad agreement regarding 1 Peter 3:21. Nearly all scholars of 1 Peter, regardless of their denominational affiliation, interpret this passage very literally, as does the Roman Catholic Church, to be speaking of water baptism, and the passage expressly says, “baptism now saves you.” They may not agree with Peter, but they do agree that 1 Peter 3:21, as we presently have it in the New Testament, expressly states the Roman Catholic position and expressly refutes the position of most Baptists, although that, of course, is slowly changing.

I have found that not very many Baptists are fully aware of how the Roman Catholic and the mainline Protestant churches apply their interpretation of the passage in the day to day life of the church. If they did, their feelings against the Roman Catholic Church and the mainline Protestant churches would not be so hostile.

One of the reasons why I am a Baptist is that I disagree to a substantial extent with how the Roman Catholic Church and the mainline Protestant churches apply the teaching found in 1 Peter 3:21, but I can not find fault with their interpretation of it without doing violence to the text. The text says what it says, and we need to be honest with ourselves and admit that it says what it says and then figure out what to do with it.

[​IMG]

2. Craigbythesea

Yes, it does, and from the Protestant perspective the writer here used a poor choice of words. In other Roman Catholic writings we find this expressed much more clearly and accurately. A much more accurate wording reflecting official Church documents would be to say that the Sacraments are the channel through which God confers His grace upon His Church. You may not like that wording either, but it much more accurately reflects official Church documents. And, of courses, it also reflects the position of some of the mainline Protestant churches, although most of them would disagree as to what is and what is not a sacrament.

All of the serious charges that are brought against the Roman Catholic Church could also be brought against the mainline Protestant denominations. Indeed, I spent several months studying one independent fundamentalist Baptist Church in a large city and the pastor of that church seriously questioned from the pulpit the possibility that there were any other churches in the city in which the people were saved. He even implied from the pulpit that the members of the other independent fundamentalist Baptist Churches in that city were not saved—and this pastor’s church was the largest independent fundamentalist Baptist Church in the city and its member worshiped their church and the King James translation of the Bible but mostly left Jesus out of the picture. The pastor even preached Old Testament history rather than the gospel from the pulpit. He had absolutely no formal education in the Bible and I don’t believe that he knew enough about the Bible to preach an evangelistic sermon from the New Testament. And upon entering a home of one of the members, the woman of the house told me, whom she knew nothing about, that I was welcome as long as I was “carrying a King James Bible.” Whether or not I was a Christian, in her mind, was irrelevant.

Therefore, when we begin to point fingers at the Roman Catholic Church, we need to be very careful lest that finger in principle is also pointed at many other Christian denominations. And if we take the finger pointing to an extreme, as do some independent fundamentalist Baptist Churches, we will find ourselves pointing at every other church in the city and become so lost in our finger pointing that we will distance ourselves so far from our Savior that we will no longer be a part of His Church.

[​IMG]

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Craig.
    If indeed the passage from 1 Peter implies that baptism saves, then how did the OT saints and the thief on the cross get saved without this washing?

And how is it that Paul received the Holy Spirit before his baptism in Acts 9:17-18?

"And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
    And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized."

The official position of the Catholic Church is that one is born again through baptism. Even infants that believe absolutly nothing about the Lord. In this manner they side-step around John 3:3,7.

"And the Catechism of the Catholic Church states: "The Lord himself affirms that baptism is necessary for salvation [John 3:5]. . . . Baptism is necessary for salvation for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament [Mark 16:16]" (CCC 1257).

http://www.catholic.com/library/Necessity_of_Baptism.asp

I believe that this sacamental requirement is "another Gospel" as per Gal. 1:6-8 as evidenced by these passages:

Luke 7:50
    John 3:16,18,36; 5:24; 6:40,47; 11:25-26
    Romans 1:16-17; 3:20-28; 4:1-6; 5:1-2; 9:30-33; 10:9-10,13
    Acts 10:43; 11:14-17; 13:39; 16:30-31; 26:18
    Gal. 2:16; 3:2,11-14,22; 5:4-6
    Eph. 1:3,13; 2:8-9
    Phil. 3:9
    2 Tim. 3:15

And by what Paul wrote in Gal. 5:4,9.

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/baptism.htm

http://www.ovrlnd.com/FalseDoctrine/baptizmalregen.html

http://www.fundamentalbiblechurch.org/Tracts/fbcbaptr.htm

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Craig.
    You wrote:

I disagree. A born again Christian can never be separated from His Church.

I also believe that we must "hate every false way" (ps. 119:104) and "contend for the faith" (Jude 3) when a false Gospel rears it's ugly head.

You seem to believe in love over truth, but I believe in truth over a percieved love.

In fact since the truth will set us free (John 8:32), it is a far greater love to let your Catholic friends know the one true Gospel.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it (singular) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." Rom. 1:16

You wrote
    If they too preach another Gospel then you are quite correct. But if their differences are merely seconday issues like KJV only or their escatology differences, etc., then you are wrong.

I can quarantee you that you could attend different Catholic churchs every Saturday and Sunday until the day you die and will never hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

You may someday fall off your pew when hearing that one is saved by grace alone, but as even you pointed out in your above post they teach that this grace is dispensed by them alone through their sacraments. That is not saving grace my friend. Rom. 11:6.

And baptism is not the only requirement that they require. As I said before, they require the keeping of the Commandments...

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2068.htm

"For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
    For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves
    unto the righteousness of God.
    For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." Rom. 10:2-4

If you think that this false gospel can save anyone, or if you don't believe that this is indeed "another gospel", then you had better read the book of Galatians a few more times until it sinks in. If it doesn't sink in, then 1 Cor. 2:14 sadly applies to you too as well as them. That can be my only conclusion on the matter.

5. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Yes, my dad's side of the family is Catholic. I'm curious about the purpose of this question?

6. Craigbythesea

1 Peter does not just imply that baptism saves—it expressly states that is does! Virtually all Petrine scholars agree about this. Indeed, I don’t know of any who don’t. The question is—what do we do with that statement? Various scholars, churches, and denominations do various things with it.

The official Roman Catholic manner of dealing with this is to teach that water Baptism is the channel through which salvation is normatively conferred upon the individual. They do NOT teach that it is an absolute requirement for salvation—see, for example, their teaching of “Baptism by Desire.” All the teachings in the Bible need to be studied in the context of the whole Bible. Likewise, all of the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church need to be studied in the context of all that it teaches. Anti-Catholic websites deliberately misrepresent what the Roman Catholic Church teaches by either misquoting their writings or taking them out of the context of the whole.

Unlike all of the mainline Protestant denominations and the Roman Catholic Church, Baptists refuse to interpret the Scriptures literally when it come to water baptism because, when one interprets them literally, one finds himself to be in perfect harmony with the view of the Roman Catholic Church on this issue.

I know from my own personal experience as a Christian that water baptism can and very often does follow one’s being justified by faith in Christ. But being justified is not the same as being saved in the Biblical sense for we find in the New Testament the verb translated “saved” being used in past, present, and future tenses—much to the dismay of many Baptists. Many of them respond to this by teaching that salvation is made up of three distinct steps, justification, sanctification, and glorification—which is, of course, essentially the Roman Catholic view.

The Roman Catholic Church is a human institution attempting to faithfully interpret and teach the Bible. Because it is a human institution, and because it is a very old institution that has been through some very dark times spiritually, it is faced with reconciling current scholarship with what it has taught in the past—and on some issues that is quite a challenge. Like all other Christian denominations and organizations it is constantly under attack by Satan, and very many unwary, poorly educated Christians are falling prey to Satan and are being used to destroy what Christ has died for.

[​IMG]

7. standingfirminChrist

The last head of the catholic church was seen kissing the muslim bible. The catholic church is no more christian than a an atheist who doesn't believe in God at all.

8. Craigbythesea

The Roman Catholic Church is a human institution attempting to faithfully interpret and teach the Bible. Because it is a human institution, and because it is a very old institution that has been through some very dark times spiritually, it is faced with reconciling current scholarship with what it has taught in the past—and on some issues that is quite a challenge. Like all other Christian denominations and organizations it is constantly under attack by Satan, and very many unwary, poorly educated Christians are falling prey to Satan and are being used to destroy what Christ has died for.

[​IMG]

9. standingfirminChrist

as I posted before....

The catholic church is not christian in the least bit.

10. Craigbythesea

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Craig.
    You have yet to explain how Paul, the OT saints and the thief on the cross got saved either without baptism, or before they were baptized.

(and let's define the contextual use of the term "saved" as being born again. Saved from sin. I know that the term is also used other ways in Scripture)

You also wrote this:
    Did you not read what I posted from their own catechism in the post that you replied to?

"The Lord himself affirms that baptism is necessary for salvation [John 3:5]. . . . Baptism is necessary for salvation for those to whom the Gospel has been proclaimed and who have had the possibility of asking for this sacrament [Mark 16:16]" (CCC 1257)."

http://ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=1257

"1992 Justification has been merited for us by the Passion of Christ who offered himself on the cross as a living victim, holy and pleasing to God, and whose blood has become the instrument of atonement for the sins of all men. Justification is conferred in Baptism, the sacrament of faith. (how then are infants justified by any acts of faith?) It conforms us to the righteousness of God, who makes us inwardly just by the power of his mercy. Its purpose is the glory of God and of Christ, and the gift of eternal life:"

Can you not read and understand plain English?

You wrote:
    Wrong Craig. Catholics do not teach forensic justification as we do. If a Protestant denomination also believes like Catholicism that true justification is a lifelong process based on faith + works + rituals = salvation, then they too are heretical.

Again, Catholics use the same terms as we do, but they have poured their own meanings into those terms. Case in point; their use of the term sanctification. They insist in their catechism (2010) that this sanctification is an ongoing salvation process. Example:

"2010 Since the initiative belongs to God in the order of grace, no one can merit the initial grace of forgiveness and justification, at the beginning of conversion. Moved by the Holy Spirit and by charity, we can then merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for our sanctification, for the increase of grace and charity, and for the attainment of eternal life. Even temporal goods like health and friendship can be merited in accordance with God's wisdom. These graces and goods are the object of Christian prayer. Prayer attends to the grace we need for meritorious actions."

Read these notes from their Catechism. You will find much truth mixed with much error (poison) on the subjest of just one term; justification:

http://ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/mysite.html?q=justification&sufs=0&order=r&n=0

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The 20 page limit has tolled upon this thread. If you like---please begin another thread to carry on subject.

Blackbird