1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

slothful members

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by grace_proclaimed, Nov 7, 2002.

1. grace_proclaimed

grace_proclaimed New Member

How do you folks deal with members who haven't attended church in months? Some who have never attended since you've pastored a place? (2 years + at this point for me)
    Biblical discipline is no doubt a necessity but, what about formative discipline? It seems that is what is really necessary. These folks wouldn't have dropped out otherwise, it seems.
    Any suggestions on how to confront this problem and speak the truth in love to these people?
    JLS

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assign families (both member and those who have regularly attended) to an elder. They are to visit and "shepherd" them. If they notice a family not coming, drifting away, or otherwise encumbered, they take care of it.

If a family is dissatisfied and perhaps considering leaving, the Elders pray for them at their meeting, and usually have a second visit.

This "self-care" of the body takes a lot of the "guilt trip" visits by the Pastor (when usually the decision to drift away or leave is already firmly made). I know that they are making a conscious decision, well considered, and go with our good graces.

3. Pastork

Pastork New Member

One of the first things I would want to ascertain is wether or not they are attending another church. If so, then that really changes the situation into one which doesn't necessarily require any discilpline at all. The problem then would probably be that they are still listed as 'members' even though they shouldn't be.

4. grace_proclaimed

grace_proclaimed New Member

Thanks.
    Most of these are not going anywhere. They are "too busy and tied up with family issues."
    These are of the sort who have all sorts of problems with children and marriages, etc.
    I honestly don't know how to attack this problem and, at this point, cannot expect anything other than to have to go it alone. The church will have to be educated about "self-care" for a while. Down here, the pastor is almost priest....he is supposed to do the work but have no voice in business.
    Thus, we have a situation where all is on me.
    JLS