1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So I've moved on

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Sopranette, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm really starting to like this new church. Great sermons, full scale children's program, and an awesome choir. I told them so. Last Sunday I got my own robe and song book. I felt totally at ease and happy singing with them. People actually stood up and cheered after our rendition of "I'll Fly Away", and it really DID sound good. Well, one nervouse moment. The choir director, who is quite the taskmaster, stood next to me and harmonized her alto. I'm not sure what that was about. I wonder how long it's going to take before she realizes I can't read music. I was sweating a little over that, but I guess I passed! Our kids love their room. And DH doesn't complain, either! They're a little more liberal than I'm used to, but not so much to turn me away. I'm just going to play it cool from now on, not let things get to me as much as they had in the past, just see where Our Lord takes me. For the Independence Day service, we are combining two choirs to sing patriotic songs! It's going to sound tremendous, I'm sure!

Love,

Sopranette

2. Gayla

Gayla New Member

That's Great!:thumbs:

Glad you're enjoying the new Church. Sounds like the whole family is.

Don't worry about not being able to read music. There are alot of Church choir singers that don't. That's what choir practice is for.:thumbs: The director may even go over some music basics from time to time.
    Enjoy participating and Rejoice in the Lord.

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thanks, Gayla! If there's one thing I've learned, it's to not let bad feelings fester. Believe me, no one likes a miserable martyr! And life's short, too short to waste on people who bring you down.

love,

Sopranette

Oh! And I heard a true bass, the first one in a very long time. And he was so friendly, too. That was cool.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Sopranette, just curious. Why don't you read music? You could learn in less than an hour

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm not sure why, Tom. I've tried and tried, but it just doesn't stick for some reason. I have a guitar, and with all the chords and hand positions, the actual note is just impossible to hear clearly. Maybe if I had a piano, it would be different. Maybe then I could even write some songs...hmmm.. Thankfully, most hymns are very easy to learn by ear.

love

Sopranette

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Some folks can pick it up fairly quickly, and others struggle with learning to read music.

I found this out when my wife, who is a terrific singer and and read music okay, told me that she has real trouble counting the time. She can't discern it by reading the music; only by hearing it over and over and practicing.

I should know this because I'm a choir director and many of our members don't read music. But after enough practice, they do just fine.

7. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm going to try learning to read music again. I guess the best approach for me would be some kind of computer program, where I can see and hear the corresponding note simultaniously.
    This choir has a different style, too. I'm fitting in by drawing from my teen years (before I was saved) of copying rock singers like Kate Bush, Donna Summer, Peggy Lee, etc., to really get that power and breath control. In defense of female rock singers, there are a few VERY good singers in that genre. Okay, while I'm in the mood of confessing wordly pleasures, I still practice some songs from memory, to flex those muscles, everyday, but I'm trying to achieve a middle voice, so as not to ruin my vocal cords. Since my kids are still small, I sing a lot of music they like, which tends to be in the high range as well, but sweeter than rock.
    So I'm not perfect, who is? But my intentions are good.

love

Sopranette

#7 Sopranette, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sopranette,

One of the best ways to learn to read music is by taking piano lessons. Maybe there's someone in your area that offers them.

9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'd love to take lessons, but we just doen't have the money. Plus our kids are not in school yet. I'd have to teach myself. That's not impossible.