1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So what about meat offered to idols?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Daniel David, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Can you really eat it?

2. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

Hello,
    My pastor taught us that we must pray before each meal so whoever might have sacraficed the food to idols before us would not be in effect. We also discussed this afterwards. And someone told us that there was a man living here who packaged meat. Every time he did he would pray to allah and offer the meat to him. Could this be a modern day sacrifice of meat to idols?

HCL

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Preach the Word said:

Can you really eat it?

Sure. Can you really find it? I mean, it's not like there are people lined up these days to sacrifice chickens to Asclepius, or whatever.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Could believers in Paul's day eat it.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup. Especially those that realized that "meat and drink are not the kingdom of God."

6. suzanne

suzanne New Member

LOL! Ahhh..but how do you know it's not been offered up to idols? ;)

Better continue praying over that meal before you eat it.....just in case. ;)

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since idols have no effect on the followers of the God of Abraham, neither does the meat offerred to the idols. If one is uncomfortable, one need not eat it. With Jesus, he frequently ate and drank with idolaters, harlots, thieves, and the like. That's what made him different, and that's what made the temple officials upset.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't think I would.

Depends on who I would offend.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been waiting for that one, Saggy. See, Preach's question was "can" and "could" they eat it.

The answer, of course, is yes.

"Should" they eat it? Now, that's a whole different ball of wax....

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

In 1Cor. Paul said they could eat it, as long as they didn't know it was offererd to idols, and that becasue eating it and knowing might cause someone else to stumble, not becasue it cause the eater to stumble/sin. So I think it is left to personal choice. Because as Paul said, what is an idol, nothing.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It would depend on how it was cooked. Anything more than medium rare is vitually unpalatable.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm completely adrift here.

But I'm with you, Pastor Larry. Depends on the restaurant; some think "medium" is "done." The wife, however, knows not to cook the cow till there's now moo left.

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Honestly, I don't have a personal problem eating meat offered to idols. If I am hungry, it is time to eat.

Again, depends on the offensive. Depends on who I care I offend or not offend.

Same with alcohol. I don't have a problem with drinking. But it depends on who I wish to offend.

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies, Pastor Larry and RSR; ever since my wife took that biology class and told me about tapeworms, I haven't been able to eat anything less than medium well.

[​IMG]

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Nothing less trhen well done in this house, have no desire for worms, or e-coli. And when a resturant doesn't know the difference between well and raw thay do it over again, I've sent back more then one steak.

16. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

suzanne said:

Ahhh..but how do you know it's not been offered up to idols? ;)

I don't . . . but therefore, according to Paul, I am permitted to eat it no questions asked (1 Cor. 10:25-26). ;)

On the other hand, if the local Loblaws sold Asclepius &lt;tm&gt; brand Genuine Pagan Sacrificed Chicken Wings, conscience would obligate me to buy the competition's products (1 Cor. 10:28).

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Ransom, I was wondering if someone would bring up that passage.

It seems to me that according to 1 Cor. 10, if you know it has been offered to idols, you cannot eat it.

Jesus even said this in one of his rebukes to one of the seven churches.

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

The thing that I find most interesting about Paul's arguments in 1 Cor. 10 is that he uses the same Old Testament proof-text for both sides of the coin - Deut. 10:14.

Why may the Christian eat sacrificed meat with a clear conscience? Because in reality there are no false gods to sacrifice to; "the earth is the Lord's, and all its fullness." Ultimately everything belongs to the one true God.

On the other hand, why may he not eat what he knows has been sacrificed to a false God? Because "the earth is the Lord's, and all its fulness." I get the idea Paul is saying that to eat with the knowledge that the meat had been sacrificed to a pagan god was tantamount to accepting stolen goods.

19. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Jesus said in Revelation 2:14 -
    But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols , and to commit sexual immorality...

James said in Acts 15:29 -
    that you abstain from things offered to idols

James said in Acts 15:20 -
    but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols

Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10:20
    Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons.

So, can the Christian really eat meat offered to idols?

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Yes, they can. When Paul is teaching specifically about the question of eating meat sacrificed to idols, he says it can be eaten with no questions asked.

Good hermeneutics allows the clearer passages to interpret the less clear, and you can't get more clear than "Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience' sake" (1 Cor. 10:25). Paul gives qualified permission to eat the meat.

To deal with the specific passages you cited:

Revelation 2:14

It does not say "do not eat meat sacrificed to idols." It says this is something that Balak encouraged the Israelites to do "to put a stumbling block before" them. It is typical of his wickedness and must be understood in its historical context.

Acts 15:29

Spoken in context of "what must I do to be saved?" James was writing to the church at Antioch to tell them they didn't have to follow the Jewish Law to be saved (cf. 15:5), but nonetheless gives them a few simple rules: not to eat what has been sacrificed to idols, from blood, from strangled, meat, and sexual immorality. Remember, we are dealing with a specific controversy between Jew and Gentile here. These restrictions were probably put in place so as not to offend the local Jews needlessly. Paul also warns the Corinthian Christians not to offend the Jews (1 Cor. 10:32), but he does so in the context of permitting the eating of meat.

Ditto Acts 15:20.

1 Corinthians 10:20

Paul here is speaking of idolatry in general and telling them not to have anything to do with the practice. Verses 10:23ff constitute a discussion of a specific issue related to idolatry: what about the meat? It was probably next to impossible to find meat in the market that had not been sacrificed to idols, and so rather than advocate vegetarianism, Paul instead says the meat can be eaten with a clear conscience if no questions are asked (10:25).

[ November 04, 2002, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]