1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Les Miserables
    By Victor Hugo, Translated by Christine Donougher (2013)
    One of my favorite books!
    I've read Charles Wilbour's 1862 edition many times (his was the first translation).
    I'm really enjoying the fresh translation.

Original Sin: Illuminating the Riddle
    By Henri Blocher (1999)
    I can digest about 10 pages a day. it is packed with thought provoking information.

"The path to be travelled by this volume is fairly easy to mark out. Once the biblical survey is completed, we shall turn to the ‘origin’ passage, Genesis 3, asking whether we should read it as history or as myth, saga or symbol (chapter 2). Then the other scripture upon which the doctrine of original sin was founded, Romans 5, will engage our scrutiny (chapter 3); against all the odds, will a new proposal break through the deadlock of interpretations ancient and modern? In the next chapter (4), we shall observe how the doctrine of ‘original sin’ unveils human experience, unlocks the enigmas of life and sets them in proper perspective. Finally, we shall confront the core difficulty of Augustine’s construction: the hereditary transmission of what is a most personal exercise of freedom, namely, sin.

First, though, we need some idea of just what it is we are talking about. Calvin’s definition offers as good a starting-point as any. Original sin, he writes in the Institutes, is that ‘hereditary depravity and corruption of our nature, diffused into all parts of the soul, which first makes us liable to God’s wrath, then also brings forth in us those works which Scripture calls “works of the flesh” (Gal. 5:19)’ (II.i.8). By way of developing and commenting on that definition, we may note the following four points. First, original sin is universal sinfulness, consisting of attitudes, orientations, propensities and tendencies which are contrary to God’s law, incompatible with his holiness, and found in all people, in all areas of their lives. Secondly, it belongs to the nature of human beings (it is also called peccatum naturale), ‘nature’ being that stable complex of characteristics typical of the class of creatures known as ‘human’, and present from birth (natura comes from nasci, ‘to be born’). Thirdly, since it belongs to our nature, it is inherited; hence its usual name in German, Erbsünde, literally ‘hereditary sin’. Fourthly, it stems from Adam, whose disobedience gave original sin a historical beginning, so that the present sinfulness of all can be traced back through the generations, to the first man and progenitor of the race."
    Henri Blocher, Original Sin: Illuminating the Riddle, ed. D. A. Carson, vol. 5, New Studies in Biblical Theology (England; Downers Grove, IL: Apollos; InterVarsity Press, 1997), 17-18.​

Recently finished,
    Where the Crawdad's Sing
    By Delia Owens
    The book reads almost like poetry. Quite complex in its construction. The main character draws her philosophy of life from the marsh where she grew up.

Next in the TBR (to be read) list
    My SIL gifted me with a $50 Amazon gift card and I picked up a two-volume set of books on Hudson Taylor that I read many, many years ago.

Hudson Taylor in Early Years: The Growth of a Soul and the China Inland Mission: The Growth of a Work of God

Rob

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been reading Revelation and studying it.
    I've been meditating on Revelation 7:9-14 for about a week now.

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” And all the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures, and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, saying, “Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might be to our God forever and ever! Amen.” Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

John saw the vast multitude of Christians and he simply thought, "Who are these people," and the Angel/elder told him " these are the folks that come from you and these churches persevering through persecution.

Can you imagine being isolated on a forced work penal colony, writing to 7 tiny churches who are being persecuted, and then seeing what God was going to do through their perseverance so that the whole world would hear of Jesus?

This may be one of the most encouraging scenes for us to keep on persevering against all odds. Cause one day we participate in a revival to dwarf all other revivals. (Talking about Asbury)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I FaceTimed an old friend earlier this week.
    I haven’t seen him face-to-face for 40 years.
    He was excited about reading Revelation too.
    He encouraged me to study it again.

Asbury???

Rob

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reports are Asbury University has been in revival for the past 5 days in worship and repentance. It is but a glimpse of what heaven is like when we all are fully revived and awakened to our Kings grace extended to us.
    Asbury Professor: We’re Witnessing a ‘Surprising Work of God’

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been reading the Baptist Board. With so many scholars posting, I figure reading anything else is a waste of time.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Offense to Reason, the Theology of Sin
    by Bernard Ramm 1985

His bibliography lead me to three more, now on my long TBR list

With Willful Intent, a Theology of Sin
    by David L. Smith

The Problem of Pain (hopefully I can borrow this from the church library)
    by C. S. Lewis 1962

Church Dogmatics vol 3. part 2,
    The Doctrine of Creation
    by Karl Barth

Rob

#6 Deacon, Feb 26, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1